• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Case Mouth Getting Dented

ZacharyR

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2023
Indiana
I’m having trouble with my .204 case mouths getting partially smashed. I have the gas adjusted so the bolt locks back on the last round and it feeds and cycles properly. I’m just wondering if it’s just part of having a semi automatic or if there’s something I can polish or adjust. I’m afraid it’s going to shorten my brass life considerably as I reload. Otherwise I’m not too concerned. I’d appreciate any advice.

The gun has a Stag lower with an upper that Dan Carey built me years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_2516.jpeg
    IMG_2516.jpeg
    406.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2514.jpeg
    IMG_2514.jpeg
    938.7 KB · Views: 51
You can buy something like this or just stick a bit of the soft velcro on the deflector

I would suspect the case mouths are not hitting the shell deflector but maybe they are. Either way, it won't effect anything. Your sizing die will round them back out when you reload them.

I have seen Bolt actions do that to, where the brass was pushing against the inside of the action or chamber under the pressure of the ejector.

Per the comment above, frequently happens when it strikes the shell deflector. If the Velcro doesn't help, you can try some stick on/self adhesive foam. You can increase the thickness of the foam until the dents are significantly reduced or eliminated.

My 6ARC dents the case mouths and I added one of those adhesive foam pads like the link above. It stopped the problem completely. It was a small flat spot but this solved it.

Reactions: LRBuck