• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Case prep centers

Freediver111

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon
In the market for a case prep center at some point in the coming months. Tired of using a drill and by hand.

Basically for around $100-$120 range it seems like my choices are the RCBS or the Lyman.

Lyman seems to have more tools. Is there a reason the RCBS is better, or is it splitting hairs?

I have a Hornady case prep center. The medium sized one has three tool heads for cleaning primer pockets and outside debur and inside chamfer.

Running brass through the center is the worst part of my loading process as it is so tedious.

Still I think it matters to perform those steps so I do it.

I usually hold a single case on each tool head for a One onethousand, Two onethousand, Three onethousand count than move on. So 9 onethousands to do each damn case. I prep on a Dillon S1050 and load on an S1050 so its is the worst part of prep.

I think they go for just about $100 and it has done what I ask of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: M77
The Hornady Lock and Load would require one more spinning station to brush the necks. I suppose you could add it as an after step by removing one of the tool accessories and running all your brass again.

I dont think brushing the necks really that beneficial as the carbon is probably a useful lubricant.

If you use pins and water though brushing with mica may return what was lost when the carbon was removed.

I got a case prep trio for about $63 ($70-10%) I think.

I was expecting it to be bigger but it seems to do the job.

I got a Lee 8-32 threaded cutter and a case gague for doing case length trim, a Lyman VLD inside neck deburring tool and the included Hornady piloted outside neck deburring tool installed with my primer reamers and uniformers screwed in to the nuts in the case track.

A few twists on the uniformer seems to get the primer pocket about 75% clean. I'll finish them up with a brush in a drill.

I think it will consolidate a lot of the prep and the price was decent and you can get some free bullets with it too (selection isn't great).

I have the Lyman, works good for my purposes and goes fast enough. For my match brass I do primer pocket clean, chamfer, debur, neck brush in that order working around the machince clockwise left side to right side. I start the primer pocket cleaning with the left hand while I'm finishing the neck brushing with the right hand, so I can keep a piece of brass on the prep station the entire time. Takes me about 4 to 5 seconds per case.

Reactions: gpz750
I have a Lyman’s prep center. It does a good job speeding things up. But when I bought a Giraud power case trimmer it was a whole game changer for me. Trim, debur, chamfer in one setting. I run my brass through a wet tumbler, so I don’t really clean the primer pockets

Reactions: MarinePMI
My case prep center is a cordless drill, a hospital puch bowel and a handful of Sinclair tools. A friend has the RCBS and its a nice tool. I saw him run it all afternoon once and it never got hot. I do these chores in front of the tv.

I have a Hornady case prep center. The medium sized one has three tool heads for cleaning primer pockets and outside debur and inside chamfer.

Running brass through the center is the worst part of my loading process as it is so tedious.

Still I think it matters to perform those steps so I do it.

I usually hold a single case on each tool head for a One onethousand, Two onethousand, Three onethousand count than move on. So 9 onethousands to do each damn case. I prep on a Dillon S1050 and load on an S1050 so its is the worst part of prep.

I think they go for just about $100 and it has done what I ask of it.

bought a set of them for myself and a mate ,
used it the last day or so for a couple hundred pieces of brass , worked a treat . IMO 3 stations is all you need , chamfer , deburr , primer pocket
i made a little L bracket from some plyboard and mounted the centre vertical works even better

Reactions: pmclaine
If you’re already looking to spend $100 on just a case prep center, there’s no good reason not to spend a few more bucks and get the Frankford trimmer setup. The trimmer is excellent and topped only by the Giraud IMO, plus it has the power stations for other tasks that you’re looking for. It also has some weight and size to it so you don’t have to hold it while you process brass.

I have the small Hornady (trio?) and it works well for what it is, but it’s still worth the extra cash to get the Frankford. I bought it when it was one of the few on the market, but I wouldn’t buy it again today.

My case prep center is a drill press, with all the appropriate tools to mount in the chuck. Trimming, chamfer, deburr, case neck brush, primer pocket uniforming, crimp remover, etc all gets done right there, and with variable speed and more horsepower than any of those jobs need, it can go as fast or slow as I want. Of course, having a drill press is the most important part of that, but you can buy one for the cost of some of these case prep centers.

I have a Lyman’s prep center. It does a good job speeding things up. But when I bought a Giraud power case trimmer it was a whole game changer for me. Trim, debur, chamfer in one setting. I run my brass through a wet tumbler, so I don’t really clean the primer pockets

This. ^^^^ Yes, it's pricey, an dit isn't really a "case prep center". But if you SS tumble your brass, the Giraud way to go. I can process 100 cases in about 15 mins easily; trim, chamfer and deburr. It's akin to an AMP. Once you have one, you realize you should have gotten one sooner, and saved yourself a lot of time and effort.

Reactions: Rhed
My case prep center is a drill press, with all the appropriate tools to mount in the chuck. Trimming, chamfer, deburr, case neck brush, primer pocket uniforming, crimp remover, etc all gets done right there, and with variable speed and more horsepower than any of those jobs need, it can go as fast or slow as I want. Of course, having a drill press is the most important part of that, but you can buy one for the cost of some of these case prep centers.

A drill press is big and only allows you to perform one task at once. That defeats the purpose of buying an actual case prep center if you ask me. I would much rather put 1 case through chamfer, debur, primer pocket clean up, neck brush at once then handling the case 4 times having to change the tool in the chuck 4 times.

I’ve got a super swage and find that it’s not very consistent, even using same headstamp. A quick buzz with a cutter tool at high speed seems to do the trick.
The inconsistency comes from not deburring the flash hole. LC brass has some horrendous burrs around the flash holes, which the mandrel in the swager butts up against, so the swaging head can remove the crimp. Excess burrs change how far the mandrel can get inside the case, hence changing how far/deep the swager goes. Removing the burrs makes the swager much more consistent.