• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Cases

Btrain

Shooter up!
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2013
KS
Gents
Just go my rifle (Tikka T3x, 6.5, SB PMII) set up and ready for the range. I need a new case and a bit concerned about a higher end scope in a soft case/drag bag - Agree? I would like to find a soft case I am comfortable with due to weight, size, ect... Case will only be for range and hunting trips - No airtravel

thouhgts?

Btrain

Ive had no problems with using soft cases. Are you concerned about breaking the scope? Or just scratching it? Even fragile scopes survive trips in soft cases on a regular basis just fine. The PM2 is tough, im sure it can handle it!
However, if you are concerned about keeping it looking good and want even more padding in a soft case, maybe check out Air Armor Tech rifle cases? Best protected soft case you can get. You gotta pay more for it though.
Best of luck!

I have a SERT and it's padding is a combination of semi-ridgid plastic sheet and high density foam.

I don't think I would worry about any scope inside that unless it had a bunch of big levers or super tall target turrets hanging off of it.

I would still try to handle it fairly gently but I imagine it would take loading something very heavy on top or a big drop to put enough force in to break a rifle or scope.

I've been using the Midway USA pro series sniper drag bag for about a year now and I'm a fan of it. It comfortably fits 2 rifles inside, or a rifle and a solid cleaning rod, and I can even fit my 6BR with a 28" barrel and fairly length LoP into it (it's about 56" long with the muzzle brake). My rifle has had a Tangent Theta on it since then, and I haven't been worried at all since there's a pretty solid amount of padding (at least half an inch thick) of good foam all the way around. It hasn't been damaged, and I haven't always been the most gentle with the bag.

I also like that I can fit 200 rounds into on of the side pockets in the 50 round 6BR cases, as well as various other odds and ends I like to have (extra 3 piece cleaning rod, cleaning supplies, mags, suppressor, whatever else I feel like tossing in there). I would get a hard case if I wanted to fly, of course, but since I drive to all my matches it's a non-issue to me and the soft case is more manageable.

Thanks for the plug, @flyer !

@Btrain - I’m the founder of SERT. If there is any questions I can help answer ref our cases, please do not hesitate. I am planning to get a similar Tikka setup shortly to test out a new bag for precision rifles but unfortunately these would not be available until December. Here are some photos of the new bag that I’m working on.

Attachments

• 0183503B-7EEB-485D-A6F0-9DD6C5FBD5A2.jpeg
    0183503B-7EEB-485D-A6F0-9DD6C5FBD5A2.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 27
  • D9EA701F-4BA8-45BF-BDD8-FEE750C07C3B.jpeg
    D9EA701F-4BA8-45BF-BDD8-FEE750C07C3B.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 26
  • 19D9A2E2-E1F8-44AF-BA0C-CC7143270893.jpeg
    19D9A2E2-E1F8-44AF-BA0C-CC7143270893.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 27