• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Cerakote Shelf Life

Curious about this too. I've bought several samplers to try my hand a cerakoting but never got around to it. The main part looks like it just settles but the catalyst yellows w/ age. Was thinking about just ordering some new catalyst when the time comes.

Every time I cerakote something I take the time to shake every bottle I have. I store them in a box on a shelf in the basement. Some of mine are over 2 years old and I was thinking I should go through them and throw away the old stuff.
I'm thinking about an experimental run on some odds and ends I have around the shop just to see what a 2 year old bottle of Socom Blue will do on a piece of angle iron.

I’ve seen it spit/clump and cure funky after a year, this happened after a shit ton of shaking also. It only did that with certain colors. Seems like the lighter colors last longer on the shelf as the darker colors do weird things.

Bottles are marked as expiring one year from ship date (edit- thought it was manuf date)
I too, wonder about the catalyst yellowing- but I've got a ton of it so I just throw out the older ones.

Ditto ^^^^. I had a quart bottle of graphite black that had gone well past a year- started to get a weird, rough finish like dry-spray (but it wasn't), so I ditched it.

Last edited:
I mark the receipt date on the bottle upon arrival at my shop.
I have a small college dorm size refrigerator just for keeping the product in. Cool and dark seems to be beneficial.
I take out what I am going to use at least an a couple of hours prior to mixing so it can assume room temp.
I have used the product up to 24 months after receipt with perfect performing results but I do not endorse keeping it that long.

I found that cerakote I just let sit on a shelf is good for a year. I heard about the dorm fridge year ago. So that's what I do, put it all in my dorm fridge. I had a 16oz bottle of graphite black that I had for 3 years and was still perfect when I ran out.

So long story short, If you can refrigerate it, I figure 3 years shouldn't be an issue. If you let it sit out, a year is about all you can get.

I write in bolt sharpie the month and year (ie: 01/18) I received it. First in first out is my plan

I have some colors that are over two years old and are still fine.
BUT I buy 2.5mm stainless bearings and put 12-15 in each bottle and shake up every bottle at least once a month.
Also if it looks like it’s getting thick I spray a small amount of denatured alcohol in and shake some more.
The denatured alcohol doesn’t effect the finish and it flashes off quickly before going in the oven.

Reactions: kindabitey
I coated this piece of aluminum shaft and angle iron that I use to set magnetic indicators on at the outboard end of my old South bend lathe. The cerakote is 3 years old, so thick I couldn't strain it through a paint funnel, but it sprayed very well and seems to be a durable finish. I'm happy to hear that we can thin this stuff with alcohol.
IMG_20181225_175109303.jpg