• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Chassis help for Remington

lofti4

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2018
I have a Remington 700 Varmint SF, SS 26' barrel. I would like to put it into a chassis that looks and feels better then the plastic stock it came in. Don't want to spend a ton of money on it as it's a .223 and my plinker gun. Any help

This is my Rem 700 action in an XLR Element. 6.5 x 47 Lapua Heavy Palma Bartlein barrel. I really like this chassis.
SIP 6.5x47 (7).JPG

the 223 sucks for aftermarket chassis.. make sure you get one that works with 223 mags. otherwise you will end up like me and single loading it
I have an XLR Element feeding 20 Practical from the mag. If it will feed that it will feed 223 no issues. Not sure the specifics on the issues you encountered?

I'm not a fan of any of the econo chassis, they all leave a lot to be desired to me. I'd go with an MPA if you don't want to spend a lot of cash. New they're over $800 for the comp version and that's about all you see on the second hand market but you can find them lightly used in R700 pattern sub $700 regularly. If you don't care about having the RAT cut for arca swiss compatibility you can find the older versions as low as $600.

the 223 sucks for aftermarket chassis.. make sure you get one that works with 223 mags. otherwise you will end up like me and single loading it

R700 short action chassis are pretty much exclusively cut for AICS pattern mags, no specific 223 mag cut, never even heard of that. Accurate makes great 223 AICS pattern mags, and there's some AI ones out there as well as MDT's. Accurates are the best though IMO.

I'll also recommend the XLR Element. They make solid products and their customer service has been nothing but top notch for me. I'm a big fan of the fact that they use Ergo grips for their chassis. I've got one on my AR as well and find them to be made from the most comfortable material of any pistol grip I've used, and coming from a bullseye pistol background I really like their palm shelf offering.