• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes check weld w/ 34mm tubes

Bluejazz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2009
IOWA
Right now I am running 30mm tubes with 50mm objectives. Would like to here from those of you on here that are using 34-35mm tubes with 50 & 56mm objectives, I would like to know if it caused you much difficulty to switch and if you had to go to using an adjustable cheek piece in order to get a good cheekweld.

Re: check weld w/ 34mm tubes

Nope. I ran 1" height rings with my 34mm tubes with 50 or 56mm obj and also with my 30mm tube and 50 and 56mm obj. Same same for me.

Also no. I was running a 30mm tube w/42mm objective, and went to a 35mm tube with 42mm Objective. Used the same stock, and same stock pack, before and after and no differences noted in cheek weld or ability to get a good weld.

I ran a 30mm USO on a manners mcst with badger standard height rings. The cheekweld was perfect for me

Now I sold the USO and picked up a SB 4x16x50 with 1.0 badger usmc rings. I am not happy with the cheekweld at all. I am going to order a stock pack and try it out.

IMO you need a adj cheekpiece or a stock pack to have a perfect cheekweld with a 34mm or 1.0 high rings. You could try Seekins lows which I believe are .92 that would help some.

Remeber proper cheekweld differs for each shooter. The main factor in that is the shooters cheeks (DO YOU HAVE FAT OR THIN CHEEKS???)

I am using an Eagle pack now on my Manners GAT and wanted to avoid an adj cheek piece if possible.
Might not be able to if I go with a 34 or 35mm tube.

A little padding under the stock pack works too and no need for an adjustable cheekpiece. Figure going from a .825" rings to 1" isn't that much and a small piece of foam will take care of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A little padding under the stock pack works too and no need for an adjustable cheekpiece. Figure going from a .825" rings to 1" isn't that much and a small piece of foam will take care of it. </div></div>

The best idea I have ever heard to accomplish raising a stock pack is to buy a length of 2" wide hook/look (Velcro) adhesive back strip at Home Depot or the like. Cut to length and stick the adhesive sides together so there is hook on one side and loop on the other. Stick the hook to the inside of the stock pack (which is loop) repeat to achieve desired height.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rwest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now that is a down to earth solution

Thanks for that </div></div>

My pleasure, but I believe I learned that tip from Steve at Triad.

yes...so that after perfectly setting the adjustable cheek piece and obtaining that edge to edge clarity firing the most amazing group of your life with witnesses and all...you can dick it up completely when you have to take the bolt out of the gun to clean it and then repeat the aforementioned process once again.

that was the only reason I could think of off hand.

I made a cheek pad that has a single piece of 3mm neoprene in it for use on my Mannors GAT with a 34mm tube and 56 obj with low Seekins rings.
I later stuck a piece of 1/4 foam under the pad and it was way to high. I am back to the original and it works great.

To get my cheek/stock interaction true, I cut a scrap piece of foam to size for 'lift' under my Eagle Pack...
Eagle001.jpg