• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Chinese Fighter Jet Almost Coooooollides with USN P-8 off coast of China

Cobracutter

Gunny Sergeant
Banned !
Feb 28, 2006
NOVA
Pentagon cites 'dangerous' Chinese jet intercept

This shit is 100% unsat. Should be blown out of the sky beacuse the last time this shit happened, it was one of the worst intel breaches in US history. In 2001, they crashed into a EP3 and forced the plane to land on chinese soil. They were held hostage by the Chinese government, ransomed and all the tech from that plane was compromised. Looks like they want to do the same shit again.

Last edited:
KY: Do you know if there are any rules for such "meetings" in international airspace or is it just left to the pilots to estimate and decide what is safe flying and what not? I'm sure there are general guidelines (as in "USAF/whatever intercept manual") such as coming to the left of the plane to be intercepted to signal intent and/or freq if not on standard etc... But as to the distances involved, maneouvres to get on his port side and who is responsible for what (like on the sea where more nimble or motor vehicle has to give way to sailing wessel or bigger ship etc...) as in "bomber must hold course and if breaking away do it to the starboard side" or "fighters responsibility is to keep distance and control movements not to fly into bigger plane"?

I'm asking because in the Cold war there were lots of intercept and goofing around from all sides and no real big collisions happened (or at least are not public knowledge :)) and nowadays it seems everything is on the new more dangerous level (recent north Europe intercepts and intrusions over Baltic to UK airspace).

KY: Do you know if there are any rules for such "meetings" in international airspace or is it just left to the pilots to estimate and decide what is safe flying and what not? I'm sure there are general guidelines (as in "USAF/whatever intercept manual") such as coming to the left of the plane to be intercepted to signal intent and/or freq if not on standard etc... But as to the distances involved, maneouvres to get on his port side and who is responsible for what (like on the sea where more nimble or motor vehicle has to give way to sailing wessel or bigger ship etc...) as in "bomber must hold course and if breaking away do it to the starboard side" or "fighters responsibility is to keep distance and control movements not to fly into bigger plane"?

I'm asking because in the Cold war there were lots of intercept and goofing around from all sides and no real big collisions happened (or at least are not public knowledge :)) and nowadays it seems everything is on the new more dangerous level (recent north Europe intercepts and intrusions over Baltic to UK airspace).

Yes there are internationally recognized intercept rules but these are generally applied to civilian aircraft. This guy was just shining his ass, flipping the bird in effect to our P-3. A real tough guy, since the p-3 doesn't shoot back.

As far as our fighters, there aren't any American fighter pilots I know of that wouldn't go toe to toe in a heartbeat with that guy. Most other countries really don't understand truly how high of a level of autonomy and individual skill we train to in the US. We get lots of training, and that training is dissected everytime. I have been in four hour debriefs for 5 minute fights. The F-15 is 100+ to nothin in aerial fights and is a great airplane, but it isn't because of the airplane.

In the Cold War we played hard but professionally with the respect that comes from MAD. There were some deaths but cooler heads prevailed to prevent escalation, and neither side doubted the others willingness to go all the way at any time if it looked necessary.

I think what you are seeing now is the natural result of how you are treated when you are perceived as being weak. You can have all the best hardware in the world but if any enemy perceives you lack the will you will be disrespected/crushed. International politics has much more in common with a kids playground than it does the curriculum at the Kennedy School. All that political theory, economic policy, international treaties, etc are worth exactly as much as you are respected, something the State Department wonks just don't get. I think some men have an intuitive understanding of this, and others never will.

We live in a society now where real men, those who don't want violence but can deal in it if necessary, are pushed aside as Neanderthals who aren't aren't smart enough to lead and are just to be used as tools of last resort. The policy wonks resent such men because deep down they fear them a little, which is the point. When men fear each other, or call it a healthy respect if you want, relationships remain peaceful. This is works with friends and enemies and is really the only true universal language. Putin for example, is our enemy but it isn't hard to imagine that he has had to put his money where his mouth is before.

We live in a violent world. The perception of strength carries far more weight in this world than platitudes and good intentions and words. The weak can comply, get punished, or become strong, just like on the playground. Our leadership taking direction and drawing on experiences from their protected ivory tower lives just refuse to accept that the exact same dynamics are at play now just as they were in the playground interactions they likely loathed.

This will only get worse. The current generation in school is being taught that basic self respect and defending yourself from an aggressor is an actual crime with schools actually reporting students to the police for such. Strong active boys must sit still all day, no rough housing, no adversarial play to release that energy nature gives us, in other words no expression at all of any testosterone based emotions or actions you will get detention and Ritalin. God help us when we try to draw leaders from this bunch.

It has been repeated and quoted and attributed to many men through the ages all the way back to Alexander the Great...it survives because it rings true in the struggles of men:

"An army of sheep lead by a lion is more to fear than than an army of lions led by a sheep"

What are we?

Last edited:
Yeah, this shit has been going on for quite some time, but eventually one side is going to go too far. And so we just keep slowly marching closer towards another global war, not a good thing.

"Sand, cement, wood and steel are the latest tools in China’s territorial arsenal as it seeks to literally reshape the South China Sea.

Chinese ships carrying construction materials regularly ply the waters near the disputed Spratly Islands, carrying out work that will see new islands rise from the sea, according to Philippine fishermen and officials in the area. China’s efforts are reminiscent of Dubai’s Palm resort-style land reclamation, they say.

“They are creating artificial islands that never existed since the creation of the world, like the ones in Dubai,” said Eugenio Bito-onon, 58, mayor of a sparsely populated stretch of the Spratlys called Kalayaan, or “freedom” in Filipino. “The construction is massive and nonstop. That would lead to total control of the South China Sea,” Bito-onon said May 28, citing fishermen.

Territorial Disputes, Malignant and Benign

Artificial islands could help China anchor its claims and potentially develop bases to control waters that contain some of the world’s busiest shipping lanes. China, which says the area falls within its 1940s-era “nine-dash line” map, successfully assumed control of the Scarborough Shoal from the Philippines in 2012 and has pressured Vietnam in the past month with an exploration oil rig in waters claimed by its neighbor.

“China’s end game is to have de facto -- if not de jure -- control over adjacent waters, the Western Pacific,” said Richard Javad Heydarian, a political science lecturer at the Ateneo de Manila University. “The only question is if and how it will achieve it. China might need to consider more coercive measures to do so given the hardening resistance of other claimant states.” "

The full story is a good read:
China Building Dubai-Style Fake Islands in South China Sea - Bloomberg

I doubt that chink pilot or his control had/have any idea what the P-8 is capable of, in so far as detecting far more about that fighters ability's and weapons in the fly-by than 2 days on the ground. Wonder if tough guy would have been that brave against one of our 30 year old fighters let alone a top of the line gem? The thing most forget, this country has a history of 2 is one and one is none. Just because you can't see or detect it, does not mean help is not there or very close by.

When the place was forced down in 2001, it literately helped China catch up 20 years worth of our capabilities and their vulnerabilities. It was a huge blow to our supremacy. It was so bad, that the Pilots SHOULD have scuttled the plane and killed everyone oboard.

I am sure they know the P8's are there for a reason and they aren't just wasting fuel.

An act like that should be treated as a threat, and should be eliminated. They continue to pull the bullshit because Bush and Obama let them unscathed.

Last edited:
Yes there are internationally recognized intercept rules but these are generally applied to civilian aircraft. This guy was just shining his ass, flipping the bird in effect to our P-3. A real tough guy, since the p-3 doesn't shoot back.

As far as our fighters, there aren't any American fighter pilots I know of that wouldn't go toe to toe in a heartbeat with that guy. Most other countries really don't understand truly how high of a level of autonomy and individual skill we train to in the US. We get lots of training, and that training is dissected everytime. I have been in four hour debriefs for 5 minute fights. The F-15 is 100+ to nothin in aerial fights and is a great airplane, but it isn't because of the airplane.

In the Cold War we played hard but professionally with the respect that comes from MAD. There were some deaths but cooler heads prevailed to prevent escalation, and neither side doubted the others willingness to go all the way at any time if it looked necessary.

I think what you are seeing now is the natural result of how you are treated when you are perceived as being weak. You can have all the best hardware in the world but if any enemy perceives you lack the will you will be disrespected/crushed. International politics has much more in common with a kids playground than it does the curriculum at the Kennedy School. All that political theory, economic policy, international treaties, etc are worth exactly as much as you are respected, something the State Department wonks just don't get. I think some men have an intuitive understanding of this, and others never will.

We live in a society now where real men, those who don't want violence but can deal in it if necessary, are pushed aside as Neanderthals who aren't aren't smart enough to lead and are just to be used as tools of last resort. The policy wonks resent such men because deep down they fear them a little, which is the point. When men fear each other, or call it a healthy respect if you want, relationships remain peaceful. This is works with friends and enemies and is really the only true universal language. Putin for example, is our enemy but it isn't hard to imagine that he has had to put his money where his mouth is before.

We live in a violent world. The perception of strength carries far more weight in this world than platitudes and good intentions and words. The weak can comply, get punished, or become strong, just like on the playground. Our leadership taking direction and drawing on experiences from their protected ivory tower lives just refuse to accept that the exact same dynamics are at play now just as they were in the playground interactions they likely loathed.

This will only get worse. The current generation in school is being taught that basic self respect and defending yourself from an aggressor is an actual crime with schools actually reporting students to the police for such. Strong active boys must sit still all day, no rough housing, no adversarial play to release that energy nature gives us, in other words no expression at all of any testosterone based emotions or actions you will get detention and Ritalin. God help us when we try to draw leaders from this bunch.

It has been repeated and quoted and attributed to many men through the ages all the way back to Alexander the Great...it survives because it rings true in the struggles of men:

"An army of sheep lead by a lion is more to fear than than an army of lions led by a sheep"

What are we?

The ultimate expression of this national castration are women in positions of political power.

I laughed when I first read of this pilots actions. I thought he must have just watched Tom Cruise in Top Gun. Either way if one of our pilots had done this to them we would all be like "Fuck Yeah!!". Thumbs up and all that bravado. But since the role is reversed ?? I think it was pretty ballsy move.

Rather than a lone pilot acting tough, I also see this as China hoping for a repeat of 2001. They want that technology, and the understanding of what the US can do. If China wants a mini war over the South China Sea, this is one way of balancing the odds.

I hope the people in power have back up plans, so 2001 does not happen all over again.

Rather than a lone pilot acting tough, I also see this as China hoping for a repeat of 2001. They want that technology, and the understanding of what the US can do. If China wants a mini war over the South China Sea, this is one way of balancing the odds.

I hope the people in power have back up plans, so 2001 does not happen all over again.

It would be a catostrophic loss of capabilities and technology if that were to happen.

One of those nice new nuclear subs should be sent to the bottom of the ocean if they keep playing this shit.... Subs sometimes just disappear......