• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Choosing a stock for 700 ADL Varmint

Spanky4888

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2010
TX, USA
I am looking for advice on a stock for a 700 ADL.

I picked up a Rem 700 ADL Varmint today from Dicks Sproting goods. I am ditching the factory stock (basically an sps stock) and really wanted a Bell and Carlson stock, but this ADL does not have a hinged magazine. The stock I wanted is at the top of this link
http://www.bellandcarlson.com/Page8.htm

I like the "Vertical Grip Tactical Style" and the "Remington Tactical Style". The problem is that it seems all aftermarket stocks require a hinged or detachable magazine, and the ADL has a blind box mag. I know there is a conversion for ADL to BDL, but can I just make a plate to cover the whole in the stock?

I am new to this so please forgive me if this is dumb or does not make sense. Thanks for the help.

Re: Choosing a stock for 700 ADL Varmint

I know Brownells sells a conversion kit, looks like it just converts the blind magazine to a hinged one. Let's say I buy there conversion kit, I take it that will make life easier when it comes to switching to a nicer stock? Thanks for the help....

Randy

So can I just find the BDL bottom metal and use it when I buy the stock i want, or are there more parts that I am missing. From what I can tell, it is just the bottom plate/trigger guard. Am I wrong?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spanky4888</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So can I just find the BDL bottom metal and use it when I buy the stock i want, or are there more parts that I am missing. From what I can tell, it is just the bottom plate/trigger guard. Am I wrong? </div></div>

You also need a new BDL mag box or to grind down the ADL box to fit.

You need the floorplate and magazine box. The ADL box is a bit longer than the BDL. BDL takeoff's pp up often on the PX here. For an alternative Midway sells the HS Precision 40X style stock that is ADL config and pretty nice.

middle stock here

As seen,

HS Police Stock (odd one with hollow forend)
HS 40X style stock
HS Pro Series Varmint ADL stock

Imported_Photos_00094.JPG

Imported_Photos_00092.JPG

Imported_Photos_00093.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spanky4888</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So can I just find the BDL bottom metal and use it when I buy the stock i want, or are there more parts that I am missing. From what I can tell, it is just the bottom plate/trigger guard. Am I wrong? </div></div>

IIRC, you will need the bottom metal, magazine well, maybe the magazine follower and new action screws. If you check what Brownell's includes in their conversion kit that should tell you every thing you need.

I switched from same rifle the 700 ADL Varmint from Dicks to a B&C Tactical medalist A3 stock. You need new bottom metal but you do not need new screws. Look or ask around as some people are always selling their old ones. I picked up a sweet bottom metal from Randy at R & D Precision for a more than reasonable price and have been nothing but pleased ever since.

OK here is an update. I bought the BDL bottom metal from a forum member here, it will likely arrive this week. I also ordered a Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist A5 Fully Adjustable stock, the tracking number shows it should be here December 30.

I am pretty excited about this project so far. Now I am trying to educate myself on scope bases. I am fairly new to the bolt action precision rifle world so some terms are confusing to me.

For instance, what the hell is the deal with a "20 MOA base", what is a zero moa base? look the same to me......I never dealt with this on my Ar-15s or AR-10s.

Got some more reading and learning to do on this site, so far this site has shown me an overwhelming amount of knowledge.

Thanks
Randy

20 MOA base is slanted to give you an extra 20 MOA on elevation so you don't run/max out your turrent while adjusting to longer distances. Zero is just plain flat. Go with a 20 and there are alot of great dealers here on the hide. I went with Murphy Precision and was very happy with service and product. Now read about bedding your scope base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could switch to a DBM</div></div>

Isnt there a lip on the ADL/BDL actions that needs to be removed for DBM setups? Thats the only thing that stopped me from doing the switch. Dont feel comfortable taking a grinder to the action.