Chromatic abberation...

KOPFJÄGER13

If people were half as good as they think..
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2018
Hey guys, im kinda new to high end scopes, in fact my best scope is a Nightforce SHV F1.... im looking at a couple different options based on recommendations from this forum for a 338LM. One of the scopes being considered is the Burris XTR II 4-20x50. The only real complaint ive seen with this scooe is some CA issues. Now to the point.... if i can see a 10" white spot at 1.5k yards to put the cross hairs on, who cares if there is a little red or blue haloing (CA) on the edges, how does that effect sight picture or make it any less accurate? Help me understand this better.....thanks

Hey guys, im kinda new to high end scopes, in fact my best scope is a Nightforce SHV F1.... im looking at a couple different options based on recommendations from this forum for a 338LM. One of the scopes being considered is the Burris XTR II 4-20x50. The only real complaint ive seen with this scooe is some CA issues. Now to the point.... if i can see a 10" white spot at 1.5k yards to put the cross hairs on, who cares if there is a little red or blue haloing (CA) on the edges, how does that effect sight picture or make it any less accurate? Help me understand this better.....thanks

Typically on the types of scopes we shoot from the common manufacturers, CA is not going to be uncontrolled enough to cause you to miss a target. It's more of a "glass snob" thing and testifies to the overall quality of the design and glass/coatings. I've never seen CA bad enough that would cause you to miss a target.