• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chrome lining a 10.5” nitride 300 Blk barrel

xSK0RCHx

Private
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2021
Hudson, FL
Is it possible or ok to have a 10.5” nitride 300 blk out barrel chrome lined or do I have to buy one that is already chrome lined?

What in the hell would you want to do that for? And why on earth would you want a chrome lined barrel? Like 15 or 20 years ago chrome was all the rage I guess.

If you can shoot out a 300 blackout nitride barrel, especially in 300BLK you can definitely afford another barrel. Unless you own a fully automatic gun, you should reasonably expect between 12 to 15,000 rounds out of a nitrided barrel, and that would be in 5.56. With 300BLK those numbers would go up substantially. Maybe even double.

And the answer to your question is no. You cannot chrome line your own barrel. Especially if you have to ask, that means you don't own the stuff to make that happen.

Again though, you are wasting your time and your money chasing after a chrome lined barrel. We can get into the details of barrel manufacturing if you want.

But suffice it to say that if you can afford 20 to 30,000 rounds of 300BLK (or more) you can afford another $150 to $250 barrel.

Nitriding is just as good as chrome lining unless you are doing sustained full auto.
If you don’t get at least 75,000 rounds out of that barrel I would be surprised.

Reactions: alamo5000
Nitriding is just as good as chrome lining unless you are doing sustained full auto.
If you don’t get at least 75,000 rounds out of that barrel I would be surprised.
For a normal shooter, I would say 50,000 to 75,000 rounds would be about right. That being someone who doesn't do full on crazy shooting or massive heavy volume (at one time) and typically someone who shoots a mix of supers and subs.

Also with 300BLK you are not needing 'match accuracy' for the most part. It's not like it's typically used for shooting 1/2 inch groups or something.

That said, for the bulk of what the majority use 300BLK for you will spend a LOT of money on ammo to wear out that barrel. No matter how you slice it, except maybe doing a meltdown video like IV8888, you would have to spend at least the equivalent on two average cars worth of ammo to wear out a sub $200 nitrided blackout barrel.

The bigger question though is 'why'. I think there is some major misconceptions going on about 'chrome lined' and all that older technology.

Reactions: camocorvette
You could chrome plate a nitrated barrel... but by the time you found someone to do it correctly ( a small job, not worth most CL'ing places setup time and cost ) you probably could have bought several barrels .

Primary Arms had a CL'd CHF FN 10" 300BK barrel on sale right now. ( Sold Out, just checked )
When I first saw the FN barrel it was $169... then 269... then 285.

FN CHF CL'd barrels have proven to be a good bargain for me... shooting tight groups. Oh well.

Anyway as others have said. Nitrated barrels are pretty darned durable.

I can’t recall ever seeing or hearing of a chrome lined Nitrided barrel. Seems redundant.

What is the application?

The reason I’m asking is I 1.am naive 2.curious and 3. Probably misinformed about the longevity of a nitride barrel vs. a chrome lined barrel and with that being said, with the threat of Biden’s Bill HR125 which would ban owning any part of a banned assault rifle and the concurrent ban of being able to purchase parts in the future or a new pistol if I did wear it out I would want it to last as long as possible. In response to alamo5000 I did write, “have it chrome lined”, not chrome line it myself. That would be a very expensive endeavor to buy all of the equipment I would need to do that when I could get a new chrome lined barrel for under $200. Like I said though naive and curious, that’s why I asked you guys about it. I doubt that “I” will shoot anywhere close to 15000 bullets through this barrel in my lifetime but I have 2 sons and 2 daughters and a grandson so I am going to will my firearms to them and hopefully they remain in the family for a very long time.

The reason I’m asking is I 1.am naive 2.curious and 3. Probably misinformed about the longevity of a nitride barrel vs. a chrome lined barrel and with that being said, with the threat of Biden’s Bill HR125 which would ban owning any part of a banned assault rifle and the concurrent ban of being able to purchase parts in the future or a new pistol if I did wear it out I would want it to last as long as possible. In response to alamo5000 I did write, “have it chrome lined”, not chrome line it myself. That would be a very expensive endeavor to buy all of the equipment I would need to do that when I could get a new chrome lined barrel for under $200. Like I said though naive and curious, that’s why I asked you guys about it. I doubt that “I” will shoot anywhere close to 15000 bullets through this barrel in my lifetime but I have 2 sons and 2 daughters and a grandson so I am going to will my firearms to them and hopefully they remain in the family for a very long time.

A) You're assuming that in the future you will be allowed to keep or transfer anything you have today
B) If you're concerned about wearing out a barrel, buy a replacement now

DEVGRU is running a 10.5 inch Noveske .300 with a stainless barrel. If those guys can run a stainless barrel I can't imagine you'll ever have trouble with a nitrided barrel.

Chrome is a plating, unlike nitrocarburizing, nitride. Chrome builds up a layer that has to be accounted for when you rifle the barrel. If you chrome line a barrel it gets smaller. Nitride is not an application. It's a metal treatment. Nothing is added on top of the metal. Nitrocarburizing actually changes the metal itself. I've never heard of anyone offering chrome lining as a service for application to an existing barrel.

I've had more than a fair amount of experience with chrome, chrome-lined barrels, and nitrocarburizing. H&M Metal Processing in North East Ohio does just about all of the OEM Nitrocarburizing. Their trade name is "Black Nitride". They really do just about everybody's nitride business, no matter what they tell you. For whatever reason, you can't get a successful chrome application over a nitride surface.

If you have a firearm that has a Black Nitride/Melonite/Tenifer/nitride/etc (they're all the same) exterior finish and then decide that you want a shiny, mirror-polished up, hard chrome pimp gun, you're out of luck. The chrome won't apply correctly. I don't know why, but it doesn't come outright. Trying that on the inside of a barrel would be pretty much a disaster.