Close bolt w/ trigger depressed, firing pin falls

crowe938

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2017
Colorado
Defiance Deviant action, Timney Calvin Elite single stage trigger. When I depress the trigger and fully close the bolt, the firing pin falls. With every other rifle I own, when closing the bolt with the trigger depressed, the firing pin is let down gently and is nearly silent. What could be causing this with the Defiance/Timney CE combo?

These photos might help explain what's occurring. Apologies that the back of the bolt is in a shadow - I realize it makes it tougher to see the bolt shroud/cocking piece.
Trigger.jpg

I agree, with the trigger depressed it shouldnt be holding the pin back at all, it should slide down evenly the entire way as it rides the cocking ramp.

Did you adjust the ce at all?

You diagnosed your own issue in picture 2. It has to do with sear engagement . Your trigger is not timed appropriately. So the firing pin is hanging up on the sear engagement.

T-Bone - thank you very much. I literally just submitted an inquiry through your website, but I'll call you shortly.

Spife - just pull weight. No other screws have been turned. Trigger was in another action previously (Stiller Tac30) and had no issue and functioned flawlessly for 3K+ rounds. I also have CEs in 2 other rifles, again with no issues of this nature. Thought maybe it was an issue with the Deviant.

T-Bone - thank you very much. I literally just submitted an inquiry through your website, but I'll call you shortly.

Spife - just pull weight. No other screws have been turned. Trigger was in another action previously (Stiller Tac30) and had no issue and functioned flawlessly for 3K+ rounds. I also have CEs in 2 other rifles, again with no issues of this nature. Thought maybe it was an issue with the Deviant.

It's not really an issue, just a fitment kind of thing. Like some stocks need a bit of tuning to run mags well. This is one of the pros of an action with a trigger hanger design- one can adjust the rate of travel fore and aft with the appropriate hanger for a given trigger/ bolt combination.

It’s an “issue” in the sense that it’s not currently functioning properly. But, sounds like it could be straightforward fix.

And yes, just got off the phone with T-Bone. Great customer service.

I want to provide an update just in case others come across the same timing issue. I backed off the overtravel adjustment (by turning CCW) a little less than 1/8 turn, and now it functions perfectly. Thanks to everyone's feedback and to T-Bone at Timney!

Reactions: spife7980