• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

CMMG 300 blk out barrel?

Re: CMMG 300 blk out barrel?

I just got a 16" upper from them. I haven't really gotten to do any accuracy testing yet, but man is this setup sweet!! I ran about 30 rounds through it without any problems. I'm in love with the subs and my can, just ordered 300 rounds from the group buy on here. I'm guessing you are trying to build your own upper, so not sure what you wanted to know about the actual barrel.

Thanks for the info stxhunter. Yea im looking at building a upper in the blk out. I like the look and prise of the CMMG barrel, just havent heard how they shoot or if anyone has had any problems with them! Let me know how is shoots when you have a chance. Thanks

I have had pressure issues, and haven't been able to track down the actual cause yet. I can't get close to the charge loads calculated by Quickload @ 55,000 psi (QL defaults to 50,763 psi). I won't blame the barrel yet as I am not 100% sure it's at fault. The barrel is very nicely finished, and was accurate. CMMG tech support is working with me on investigating the cause of my issues even though it's not covered under warranty due to using hand loaded ammo.

I'd say it's worth a try. I bought a Wilson barrel to test as well. The AR-Stoner barrel seems to be a decent alternative too.

If you do go with the CMMG, try the Speer 125gr TNT, 18gr W296 2.050" OAL, 1.355" trim length and let me know how that works for you. Good luck!

Sgt. what barrel length do you have, and if its the 16", is it carbin or pistol gas system? Least CMMG is helping you figure out whats going on and not leaving you hanging!

Im still thinking About it and what parts I want to use, so it may be alittle while before it gets put together. But when it does I will try it and let you know.

Let me know how you pressure issue turns out.
Thanks for the information, all is helpful!!!

It's a 16" carbine gas. I have my Wilson barrel mounted now and I will be doing range time on Friday and Saturday. I am hoping to see that the Wilson barrel shows no pressure signs. It's my GUESS that there's something goofy with my CMMG chamber. Aside from the pressure situation that could probably be fixed by a smith... the CMMG barrel is nice. I think I just got a lemon. Happens to amm mfgs so I don't hold any grudge with CMMG, and it may yet still prove to be something else.

I just received one this evening from Midway. I'm sending it back, as I couldn't get anything to thread onto the end of the barrel. The threads looked clean, but I couldn't get the flash hider to get more than one thread started, and my can wouldn't even start.

Other than that, it looked great and I'm singing the blues tonight...really wanted to give it a try.

They have had issues in the past with barrel threading. For a while they were doing a good job of getting suppressors sent back with baffle strikes. I know of atleast one company that will not warranty anything on one of their barrels. They are low bidder crap. But think of all the money you saved...

Found with a google search:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been saying it for years - CMMG barrels should never has a suppressor attached. Just watch the number of threads here in the last couple years how many have had baffle strikes. The bores are off center, the threads are off center, the threads are undersized, the barrels as a "hole" are poor quality pieces of crap. We cant count how many we received for threading that are so bad - we just send back to the customer with a note that they need a better barrel. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They have had issues in the past with barrel threading. For a while they were doing a good job of getting suppressors sent back with baffle strikes. I know of atleast one company that will not warranty anything on one of their barrels. They are low bidder crap. But think of all the money you saved...

Found with a google search:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been saying it for years - CMMG barrels should never has a suppressor attached. Just watch the number of threads here in the last couple years how many have had baffle strikes. The bores are off center, the threads are off center, the threads are undersized, the barrels as a "hole" are poor quality pieces of crap. We cant count how many we received for threading that are so bad - we just send back to the customer with a note that they need a better barrel. </div></div> </div></div>

My first thought was that these are at the ideal price to buy and have cut down and rethreaded by a competent smith at 14.5" since a premium barrel is not as critical as with a longer range setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My first thought was that these are at the ideal price to buy and have cut down and rethreaded by a competent smith at 14.5" since a premium barrel is not as critical as with a longer range setup. </div></div>

Weird. My first thought is if a manufacturer cannot be relied on to do a simple task like threading how can they be trusted to get anything else right? Like cutting the chamber for instance.

I'll also tell you a good barrel is even more important when shooting subs. Now if you're just blasting and are hoping for .30-30 accuracy with your pulled projectile crap reloads, then go for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well this is 50/50. we had one other member use the CMMG and he had no issues with his. who else makes a $200 AR barrel in 300BLK? </div></div>

I have a SI-Defense Barrel that I got at Midway for $175. I think they are up to $195 now. Seems to shoot OK but I had to open up the gas port just a hair to get it to cycle the Sub-sonics. I have an adjustable gas block so I can tune it as needed if I decide to shoot super-sonic (not expected to).

I'm still waiting for my .30 cal can to be approved so I'm not shooting it that much at the moment. I just wanted it to be ready for when the can shows up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what length barrel and is it pistol gas length?</div></div>

16" Barrel and Carbine length.

Looks like Midway has them in stock and at $175 - it took me about 6 weeks to get mine:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/677048/...n-8-twist-matte

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
SI Defense HBAR barrels are made from 4140 chrome moly steel and use button rifling. The barrel is chambered in 300 AAC Blackout with a 1 in 8" twist. The M4 profile is light under the handguard and .750" at the gas block with the M203 cut. The muzzle is threaded 5/8"-24 to accept muzzle brakes, flash hiders, or a suppressor. The barrel is finished with a mil-spec manganese phosphate finish.

Technical Information:

Barrel Length: 16"
Material: 4140 Chrome Moly Steel
Twist Rate: 1 in 8"
Chamber: 300 AAC Blackout
Contour: M4
M4 Feed Ramps: Yes
Chrome Lined: No
Gas Port Location: Carbine
Barrel Diameter at Gas Port: 0.750"
Muzzle Thread Pattern: 5/8"-24
Finish: Mil-Spec Heavy Phosphate

</div></div>

Based on the comments at Midway it appears that I am not the only one that had to open their gas port.

It certainly is a cheap way to enter the 300 BLK arena and I wasn't expecting greatness from this build - it was more because I had most of the parts lying around.

The AAC barrels (high end) are all over gunbroker. Yes, they are $300...but I think you can get a nice upper built for around $600. Barrel performance for this round is just as important as others...maybe more so for the subsonics.

Kinda glad now that I found a Noveske barrel from one of the members here. It shoots great with the loads I have put though it so far. I cycles fine with subs and supersonics with no adjustments to ports or buffer. Well worth the money!

Bit of an old thread and had hoped that CMMG would have had their act together by now. I purchased one of the 300 BLK WASP barrels this week from my local shop. Only barrel he had in 300 BLK and he had sold a bunch with no issues reported back. Upper installed and been waiting on the brake and front hand guard/rails to arrive. Get the brake in last night and it does not even get close to fitting on the threading of the barrel. Checked and rechecked that I had ordered the right brake, tried again to thread it on and no luck.

Will be calling them this morning. Anybody else having recent issues with CMMG barrels?
Purchased this to take along on a hog shoot this weekend.. so much for that..