• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing coating stock grip area "stippling"

Mag 300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 31, 2006
    Downers Grove Illinois
    from other threads here I finally tried the stock stippling since I sent the barreled action out for Birdsong finish .
    here are some pics of the items and process used
    IMG_0276_1143.jpg

products I useed were Devcon Aluminum steel putty working time is 1 hour and its the best way to go the tint is menards pigment black its oil based and I did not know if it would mix correctly. tape is the blue painters type found at any store.
    I did tape off the stock then clean it with Alcohol before applying the devcon.
    here is a close up of the grip area
    IMG_0277_1144.jpg

to get the desired stippling you just use a flat screwdriver to tap the devcon that pulls it up to make the points shown.
    this needs to be done 3-4 times during the working period of 1 hour after the hour I left it alone.
    here is the semi finished product I removed the tape using a razor blade and pulling ti at a right angle to the stock . then let it dry over night
    here is the finished product
    IMG_0271_1159.jpg

Bill

Re: coating stock grip area "stippling"

I may be doing something close to this on my son-in-law's hunting rifle. He's a big guy and the rifle is a light weight synthetic hunter. His rifle has some designs inlet into the stock. If he decides to do it, I'll probably follow those designs, and use Devcon Aluminum. I have used a ton of that stuff.

The last time I did it for texture I used a piece of metal window screen to raise the dimples.

It looks like you did a good job.

Re: coating stock grip area "stippling"

I just used your technique on a Gerber ax handle. Worked well but it seems you got better results with the Devcon, I used some JB Weld I had on hand and it was too runny, didn't get the definition I was hoping for.

My brother has an ax too, so I'm gonna try Devcon next time.