• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Cold bbl or clean bore with 1st shot accuracy?

TARFU

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2009
PA
My 1st 3 shots on a cold, clean bore are high and left. My 4th shot settles in the X ring and the 50th shot is the same. My questions is which is it, the fact that the barrel is cold or I'm shooting a clean bore that is the cause. I'm not an anal barrel cleaner. I use Hoppes on a brush , 3-5 strokes f/b a few dry patches. I didn't clean after this last session so we'll see. Just curious.

Re: Cold bbl or clean bore with 1st shot accuracy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TARFU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My questions is which is it, the fact that the barrel is cold or I'm shooting a clean bore that is the cause.</div></div>

Chances are it's the clean bore.

Cheers,

Doc

I clean mine every 6 or 700 rounds. If it's a new rifle w/ a factory tube they sometimes take up to a couple hundred rounds to "smooth out the feathers".

Cheers,

Doc

Doc, thats what I'm going to do now. The gun has a factory tube cut to 22" and pillar bedded to HTG. About 400 rounds so far.
[img:left]http://
Picture112.jpg
[/img]

Best group so far 5 shots @ 100yd, .23MOA , 168SMK hand load. Most groups are .75 to .50 MOA.

[img:left]
targets001-1.jpg
[/img]

I noticed one time that I had a HUGE velocity difference between clean and fouled. If I remember right, it was like 125 fps slower on a clean bore vs a fouled bore. My poi at 100yds was still the same, but at longer distances, that definitely wouldn't be the same. I usually don't clean until accuracy starts to suffer.

Now would be a perfect time to do an endurance test. Start each range session off w/ a CBS onto a single target. Follow it up w/ a 5 rnd group (or 5 single round groups). At the end of the range session shoot another 5 rnd group (or 5 single round groups). Continue this keeping track of the accuracy level until the gun reaches an unacceptable level of accuracy, 1 MOA or so. This will tell you several things.

1st where your CBS is.
2nd how long your rifle will remain accurate
3rd where the sweet spot (accuracy range) in your round count is
4th how far you can push the round count

Mine went from about a 3/4 MOA gun w/ a clean tube to a 1 MOA gun in 850 rounds. At 700 ish it was a 3/4 MOA gun. At 125 it was a sub 1/2 MOA gun until about 575 rnds.

Nice stick!!

Cheers,

Doc

Thanks. I'm new to precision shooting, coming from handguns. Doc, I am going to take your endurance test. I think it will help me get to know the rifle.

Its amazes me how small things make a difference. For example, I finished loading an old lot of 168 SMK's. I started a new box, same lot of brass, powder, and primers. My POI moved almost an inch and groups opened a little. So I lengthen my seating die to get the same OAL (this lot was ~.005 shorter), but POI didn't change. However, increasing the OAL retored the smaller group size. I am going to start buying my bullets in 500 rd lots. I think I need a degree in ballistics!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TARFU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doc, thats what I'm going to do now. The gun has a factory tube cut to 22" and pillar bedded to HTG. About 400 rounds so far.
[img:left]http://
Picture112.jpg
[/img]

Best group so far 5 shots @ 100yd, .23MOA , 168SMK hand load. Most groups are .75 to .50 MOA.

[img:left]
targets001-1.jpg
[/img] </div></div>

That is just stupid.
smile.gif

[
[/quote]

That is just stupid.
smile.gif
[/quote]

Like I said, that was the BEST one. They don't all look like that. However, I would like like to have a good rifle shooter shoot this gun for groups to see what it can really do.

Do you more experienced guys think that bedding the action would help? 3 rounds make me start to think that it's more of a heat issue, gun gets heats up (distorts and expands) and settles into it's sweet spot. At work we do foul our barrels after cleaning, but with only 1 shot. With a smooth barrel and good ammo, I don't think there's going to be that big of difference in fouling, between 1-3 shots. That's just why I'm thinking it could be another problem or a combination of fouling and "??????".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrbet83</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you more experienced guys think that bedding the action would help? 3 rounds make me start to think that it's more of a heat issue, gun gets heats up (distorts and expands) and settles into it's sweet spot. At work we do foul our barrels after cleaning, but with only 1 shot. With a smooth barrel and good ammo, I don't think there's going to be that big of difference in fouling, between 1-3 shots. That's just why I'm thinking it could be another problem or a combination of fouling and "??????". </div></div>

Action was professionally pillar and Devcon bedded, barrel cut & crowned, and trigger reduced to 2.5# Hopefuly I'll settle this next weekend when I shoot. I didn't clean the barrel this time so if it hits right on its probably a fouling issue. If it does the same thing, then its probably a heat issue.

Good luck, please let us know how it turns out. I'm sure it will turn out, because heat issues are you'll the other way around; shoots good until everything gets heated up and then rounds start to walk, due to bed job, crown, copper foul and I'm sure a ton of other reasons.