• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors Condensation and overpressure.

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Oct 15, 2009
    Mississippi
    So here i am again i think i might have posted a thread about this last year but it seemed to be an anomaly that only i was experiencing. Here's the situation. I have a bighorn TL3 6.5x47 finished at 18". I have three cans a TBAC 30CB9, SiCo Hybrid, and SiCo Omega. I run area 419's hellfire system interchanging them. I usually go SiCo with this particular gun to shorten the length as much as possible. So i was checking zero today and gathering some dope for the winter. Temperature was 42F mid day getting down to 36F or so whilst shooting toward sunset. About 6 shots in on the range i fire the 7th or so, super sticky bolt. Pull the cartridge there are streaks of condensation on the case. Let it dry or sit bolt open goes back to normal without issue. I don't think i've experienced this with my TBAC but either way i'm just curious if anyone has ever ran into this issue. Noone that i know has had this issue and google doesn't seem to turn up anything. I thought about just PMing Frank or Mike seeing as they shoot in cold temperature much more often than i do. My theory at the moment is that the can increases the chamber temperature to a moderate temperature and the rounds having sat in the cold at ambient 36F or so going into the warm chamber are undergoing condensation thus the pressure spike. It's to note this is in the Mississippi delta, humidity is a major thing here. Though it was only 47% today according the weather channel my kestrel was dead. I could've sworn last year i was running about 50rds out through this gun with my TBAC firing extremely fast in 10rd+ strings without issue but move to either of my SiCo cans and i have problems. Idk i don't get it nor understand it and it seems to be the only weapon of mine that it happens to. I've never to my knowledge had it happen with my tempest.

I've never had that shooting in the winter in Colorado
    I was thinking about emailing you as well Zak. Yeah i don't ever recall having this issue with the TBAC which might be a sign to just use it on this particular gun. Ranting for a minute but wish i'd have gone TBAC across the board. But yeah i'm at a loss here. Maybe it's something wrong on this particular gun? I have my Dad's SR3 but it's chambered in 6.5 SAUM with a 3B bartlein so running 20rds through it back to back doesn't seem ideal. My brother has a 20" origin build on the way i'll be curious if i can replicate the situation with it. I've never had an issue with this in regard to my tempest. This particular gun was done by someone with a lathe in their garage as i tried to save some money at the time so maybe that's where it's stemming from?

Literally can pull a round and there are beads of water on it. Load is nothing abnormal for a 6.5x47 with 130s over 37.3gr of varget or so. I don't get it. I know you and Ray have shot in much colder temperatures than i have and as i said google turns up nothing.

Ran around 30rds through the TBAC still ran into the same issue. I’m starting to think it’s the chamber. I thought last year i might have lube in the chamber but i dried and went back out to no avail. Here’s a case i pulled from it with a streak of condensation on it. Of course it looks as though it might be solvent or lube due to the discoloration but yesterday it was literally clear beads/streaks of water.
    C96BD6ED-6C28-47AD-B67A-65471ED2F0C6.jpeg

Wow, haven't heard of this in YEARS!

They say not to store rifles with suppressors attached because the large size of the can makes for a great condensation tower and water can collect and even make into the bore. I've never seen it, only heard of it. And the conditions have to be just right.

I use a dehumidifier rod in my safe and also a dessicant bowl. Never had a problem with condensation in the safe.

Yeah i've only had this issue with this rifle. Don't ever store the cans on the guns either so idk. Going to get my tempest and brother Origin as soon as they're done to see if i can replicate the issue.