• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Considering a DIY Duracoat job...

Sgt_Jamez

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2009
Carmichael, CA
I have zero experience painting anything, but I have access to an HVLP sprayer and am wanting to add color to an AR.

I am wondering how you fill the recessed lettering? Say a FDE painted receiver but I want black in the SAFE and FIRE letters.

Also, do you fully strip the receiver and paint all the bits separately?

Re: Considering a DIY Duracoat job...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt_Jamez</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have zero experience painting anything, but I have access to an HVLP sprayer and am wanting to add color to an AR.

I am wondering how you fill the recessed lettering? Say a FDE painted receiver but I want black in the SAFE and FIRE letters.

Also, do you fully strip the receiver and paint all the bits separately? </div></div>

question 1: when i want to fill letters with color, say on my ump mag where i want "restricted govt/law enforcement only" to be white, i fill it in with white nail polish by simply painting over it, ya it will get on the parts you dont want but after it dries simply take something like a dish rag with a little a little nail polish remover and and gently rub over it, dont press down to hard or the rag will rub into the part you want the nail polish to stay... i have did tones of ump mags like that, i have done plastic parts on my quad i have done hk lowers, hk receivers my sbr i did the barrel so it was easy to read the engravings...

when we painted ( with kg ) my brothers sig yes we took every part out of the frame.. mag release button, decocker and so forth all must come out and only what you want painted should get sandblasted some things you might not wanna paint due to tolerances such as inside receivers and such

Acetone doesn't affect Duracoat? Great... I like the nail polish idea.

I know there are other posts around the web about it, I'm reading everything I can... but does anyone care to share a recipe for Duracoat that matches Magpul FDE?

Acetone may effect Duracoat if it has not cured completely (at least 3 weeks). Call Lauer to confirm that.

To fill in letters, I use a dental pick and Testor's enamel paint (buy this at a hobby shop). Just dip the tip of the pick in the paint and gently scrape the paint into the letters. Use a water-soaked rag to clean up any excess paint. This method has worked very well for me.

If you are doing an AR upper and lower, you can speed up the cure time by baking the parts in the oven. Just read the literature included with the duracoat.

Make sure to buy some of their reducer as well, use as directed if the gun isn't spraying consistently and evenly.

Buy lacquer paint thinner! It is the ONLY thing that will clean up Duracoat afterwards.

PM me with any questions you have, I have a lot of experience with Duracoat and I taught myself so I know what works and what doesn't lol. Good luck!

I was wanting to duracoat a stainless barrel, what prep do i need to do, I read somewhere you dont need to sandblast, just degrease and spray on. Also do you paint the recoil lug or leave it alone? I have already bed the action, I used tape up front so depending on thickness of paint shouldnt lose to much clearance?