• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Cosmetic Upgrade(s)

gnfiter3

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 28, 2007
Florida
I call the upgrade cosmetic, as I doubt it will make me a better shooter; my increased range time will do that.

Here's the sit-rep.
Rem 40X with the fat Benchrest style wood stock. I want a tactical stock with detachable mags. I've looked at B&C, HS Precision, and McMillian. I probably need to get over the fact that the stocks cost more than the, hold your breath, it's true, $500 I have in it.

Do this for me?

1. Advise on fully adjustible.
2. Advise if the drop-in can be as reliable as having someone bed it for me?
3. If not a fully adjustible stock, next best alternative, without giving up the detachable mag feature.

HS has a trigger guard & detachable mag assy. Anyone use it?
Finally, where to get the mags, and be assured they will fit. Any considerations I should have in this project.

I live in So. Florida, and have no idea if there are any good gunsmith's down here. It seems like a do-it-yourself project.

Re: Cosmetic Upgrade(s)

what are you going to do with this project.....put it to bed in the safe, or push it under the sleeper sofa ?

working gun or safe queen ?

something totally tacticool that you can try to impress your friends and neighborhood children with.....or a weekend range gun ?

When I get it set up, it will be "tacticool". (I like that expression and sexy looking sticks too) BUT, it will be a working, continue training in long range shooting,and shoot it stick.

I have the platform for an exceptional "tactical" precision stick. I own it already, got it dirt cheap, so why not do the basics to build on it. I shoot bro, reload, and shoot some more.

Now, how about some recommendations on how to get there?

I know a flame when I feel it, but that's okay. I expect to get the great advice that is usually given on the Hide. Never have been thin skinned.

I do like the "tacticool" expression though.
cool.gif

MO is very perceptive...

my thoughts can only be directed towards the end game.....read,....jocking up the stick one way, almost goofs the intended purpose of another .

if you shoot "bro" like you say....what do you shoot ?

i know plenty of jackasses that try to blow holes in the bottom of some local rivers, they shoot also "bro"

Boltripper, you are tippin! I bet that when you take off that cloak of sarcasim, there's some information that will really benefit me and others.

MO is no more perceptive than me. On the otherhand, I learned a long time ago, If I can't say anything positive, don't say anything.

It's set up to be a bench gun. It has the accuracy, I have a load for it. I want to set it up as mentioned above, for the purposes stated. I see plenty of shooters punching paper, I enjoy that too, gets boring after a round. It does not make them or me, jackasses. Now, I want to move on to some more meaningful shooting skills. So, the end game is a practical, tactical, and if it looks, "tacticool," so what?

Looking forward to getting into a class at Gunsite, and want to have a bolt stick to go with my AR. Now can we just get on with it?

I am far from a remington expert, but as a jumping off point, is your rifle in its current configuration a single shot or a repeater? If the former, the DBM option is going to be a tough one. Also, if you have a factory 40 XBBR (I believe that is the benchrest model) you would be a HELLUVA lot better off selling it (as they are rather valuable) and using the funds to buy a built 700 or other rifle.

hey gnfiter good luck getting an answer around here, im new and full of qustions but with alot of guys on here when it comes to guns its like some big ass secret, your gonna get one serious answer for every 10 bullshit ones, good luck, there are some good guys on here that are full of knowledge, just be patient

It's a repeater. I figured that it would be ideal for a tactical or long range set-up, as it is supposed to be factory built to better specs than a standard 700.

Someone may even think a 40X should be left original to preserve it's value. As I have no one to leave it to, it's not such a deal to me. Later, I'd like to turn the barrel for a can, but this project seems to have the best return.

If you are looking for a "tactical" type rifle, I would suggest more robust stock adjustments. I really like the McMillan stocks with spacer system LOP adjustment and Terry Cross's Loggerhead cheek piece adjustment. You can get the McMillan inletted for a variety of detachable mag systems. I've only used the HS Precision mag system but would advise you go another route such as Badger, Seekins, V-Bull, Surgeon, or now it sounds like APA has a system as well.

Some of the reason I think Bolt is giving you some sarcasm is because if you will only be at the range, not packing the rifle around the boonies, you may want to have it set up a bit different. Such as a 3 way buttplate, thumbwheel cheek, handstop rail, etc. Or if you don't think you need an adjustable cheek or LOP, a lot of people prefer a fixed stock cut to their preferred LOP and live with the cheek height. Things just depend on your use and intent for the rifle.

Regarding bedding, I would have the McMillan pillar bedded. If you go with an HS stock, you can get that skim bedded. Either way, I'd get the rifle bedded for utmost accuracy potential. My opinion only.

As far as mags go, the AICS mags seem to be easy to come by so that may influence your mag system choice. Seekins mag system uses proprietary mags. HS uses their mags, but I've had my fair share of problems with mine in 308 and will get rid of it eventually. I believe the Surgeon system also uses AICS mags.

Hopefully this helps you out a bit. Good luck.

Geb

Is the 40X the same spec as a 700 SA? If so, look at the AICS. At 800.00 its expensive but if do a McMillan, Badger DBM, and bedding you're looking at about 1050.00 give or take. Also, you can install yourself with no beddnig or trip to the gunsmith.

au8hw3.jpg

This is a quick photo of my 40X the way it looks now. The stock is a "McMillan Modified 40X" stock. ($882.00 Stock as you see it including the palm rest that's not shown) I was looking to do the same thing as you but keep running into $$$ Brick walls. I'd like to trade the stock you see for a nice A5 with bottom metal in Desert Camo (or any camo) but can't seem to find anyone who will bite. I think the problem is no one here wants my stock and no one on a site that WOULD want it has an A5 to trade. They're just too different. I think I'm going to say "Fuck-it" and paint the hell out of mine! I'll post picks when I do. Should be fun! Good luck!!!

Now, it's starting to roll.

rackcaser: I hear you, but I do believe that the shooters here mean well. Those who work for the FBI, and think everything is top secret, or bumped their head, getting out of bed, don't bother me. How many times do you see the same question posted here, esp. in the reloading section.

gebhart02: You're posing questions and considerations that are food for thought. So has TARFU. Things I need to consider before I order and find I didn't get what I wanted, needed, and it won't fit. I'm not going to war with this stick. If the respondents RTFQ, they will see what I want the stick for and what I intend to do with it. It already out shoots my current ability. There's a production stock from McMil , I think, that's made for a 40X, saw it posted in this section from back in 08. It didn't have the inlet for mags, but from just what I have just read, having it inletted is a possibility.

When all the inputs are in, I'll itemize the componets,contact the sources, evaluate the cost, and do it.

I have not seen a stick on this site that wasn't "tacticool," (still loving that term) to some degree; and I want mine to be as slick, and functional, as it can be, for what I am willing to pay. If I can get what I want for $1200 in extras, I'll still have less than 2K in it, before the new glass.

Please keep the info and suggestions coming? Flames too, if that's your style; just add some hot info to it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am far from a remington expert, but as a jumping off point, is your rifle in its current configuration a single shot or a repeater? If the former, the DBM option is going to be a tough one. Also, if you have a factory 40 XBBR (I believe that is the benchrest model) you would be a HELLUVA lot better off selling it (as they are rather valuable) and using the funds to buy a built 700 or other rifle.</div></div>

....YES !!!!!....there will be a point of diminishing returns here.....so the 40x shoots, prolly not a great idea to start a hack job and end up with a Heinz 57 variety wanna-be sniper weapons system that will make baby jesus cry......sell it to one that will appreciate it for what it is and take your shekels and put something together that you can compete with....

Not sure how you take a 40X action, and turn it into a Heinze 57 wannabe; something else I have to consider.
confused.gif
On the otherhand, it seems as if your opinion is to leave the 40X in tact, and go in another direction. Is that what you're not saying?

Oneshot, have you tried your 40 at Manatee? It's 4+ hours from me, but it should be much closer to you? I checked on that stock from McMil. $498 plus what type options. Not sure about the ability to have it inletted for a mag., or if it's a true drop-in. Your set-up seems simple and reasonable as it is. It also doesn't look like it would "make Jesus cry." An A4 would be more than enough for me.

Will see what other opinions surface.

As BR clearly appreciates and so many forget---Writing is an Art, yet not acknowledged as such.

If you aren't willing to "work" a little to decipher the sage advice that lies beneath an oft times puzzling first read, then it is your loss, on several levels.

All I asked for was some advise, up to and including, don't spoil a good thing. How about a little, and simple, clear, concise communication? My scales measure grains of powder, and bullet weight, not tons of sage or bulls%@%. Gebhart, Oneshot, and Rackchaser, have put meat in the soup. I don't eat sage-brush soup, there's no meat in it.

I have a 40X repeater in .308 (or "7.62", as per the barrel stamp), great gun.

AICS is the simplest way to go, comes with integral bottom metal, and is adjustable for LOP and cheek weld. Your 40X should drop in without modification - which is good, should you ever decide to sell it as an original, unmodified 40X.

Mine will be moved from the original stock into a Manners in a few months. I'm not a huge fan of the stock, but the action is great, the trigger is good, and the barrel is balls-out more accurate than me, and the price was right. Plus, mine is a lefty, and you don't see many lefty 40X repeaters around.

For better reception on future posts, even if it is for aesthetics, don't "say" that; this is not "Sniper's Hide: for the guy who wants to look like a serious tactical marksman". Just a suggestion.

Good point on how the question was posed. However, the Sit-Rep should have clarified a lot.

Coolaid: I figured that anyone who knew the quality of a 40X, would know that most changes to it would be aesthetic. Other than a trigger group, what else can you do to it, without stripping it down to the action, and doing a build it???

I'm divorced from the last person I had to put up with so much BS, from over a question. To her credit, I have very thick skin. First sentence said as much as needed to be said..."range time..."

Thanks for some more meat in my soup. checking on AICS for specs.

A stock that fits better improves consistency - and can help your shooting: I would not consider that a purely aesthetic upgrade.

There is a possibility your rifle is not a shooter (most knowledgable shooters don't sell tack-drivers for peanuts, and you got a cherry deal on a rifle - assuming it shoots.) I would, first and foremost, determine how well the rifle performs "as is." If you are not a capable marksman, find a good smith to look it over (I'd bet there is at least one competent smith around) and find a proficient shooter to put a few rounds down range.

If it is worth keeping and upgrading, AICS is a good route, assuming you like the feel. I'd recommend getting hands on these stocks before dropping $1,000, different people like different stock configurations. My A5 is a much better fit than my AICS 1.5, live and learn.

If it's a shooter and "needs" a new stock, have at it, AICS is simple. McMillan, Manner, and many other make stocks that will fit it, but listen to the guy that got the wrong thing and learn from his mistake: spend $1000 smartly or spend $2000+ impulsively.

And, at the end of the day, rounds down range is the secret to better shooting. An improved stock might help, but not nearly as much as trigger time.

Good luck.

Coolaid: I am not a Newbie to shooting, I'm new to customizing rifle furniture. The 40's pet is 43-43.3 grains of IMR 4064 under a 168 HPBT Nosler or Berger. I shoot consistent, and boring 1/2" or better, 5 shot groups at 100 with it weekly. Several months of 200 rds in ragged holes says, do something else, like long range.

The acquisition story on the stick is, guy came on hard times or just didn't know what he had. Sold it to buddy of mine who called me. The stick changed hands twice in a 4 hour period. I replaced the trigger with a new one, refurbished the scope that had been abused and my gross in it is still less than $600. That was 10 years ago. It's been a range gun,not a safe queen. Time to get some real value out of it.

I'd like to put some new furniture on it. McMil. A4 or A5, or something else. The AICS web I found did not provide any pricing, so a link would be appreciated??

Thanks for your input

Honestly, I have 2 stocks I'm looking into seriously for my 40X. The McMillan A5 or a McRee's MP-MODSS. The McMillan is more traditional and I know I like the way it feels. The McRee's is more "Space-age" looking but I understand they are very stable and don't require bedding. I would definitely want a McMillan bedded by someone who really knows what they're doing. Proper Bedding can make or break your accuracy more than some people realize. I guess the McRee is like an AICS in that it's already cut to tight tolerances around the receiver???... And doesn't require bedding???

Not sure if in your response to my "Stock Dilemma" you were questioning the $882 price for my Modified 40X Stock but that's what McMillan told me when I called to inquire and told them what I had. The young lady I spoke to was very nice and asked me a few questions before telling me my stock would cost $882 to buy today. Anyway, it doesn't matter... Just FYI

No offense intended, just using what info was previously given.

Below is a link for TacPro, I bought my AICS from them, I'm sure there are other places to buy them.

http://www.tacproshootingcenter.com/AICS.html

If you bought the gun for $500 and scoped it for another $100, you are going to want to upgrade the optics before undertaking an education in long range.

My recommendation would be to go to a high-end gun shop and look at anything in a McMillan, Manners, or AI stock, just to get a feel for the stocks. As I said previously, I like my A5 more than my AICS, it just fits better.

And lastly, if the gun shoots 0.5MOA at 100, why restock it before taking it to longer ranges? If you can handle it at 100, you might be better served by taking that $1000 stock budget and getting better glass. A 1/2MOA rifle is not something to be tinkered with too much, else it soon becomes a 1MOA rifle and costs skyrocket to get it back.

If you do, as I read this, have a $100 scope on an original 40X, my money would go into glass first, then stock later, maybe. My 40X wears a Hensoldt and it deserves the Hensoldt.

If you shoot 5 round 1/2 MOA groups with this weekly for 10 years...it is about time for a new barrel...just sayin, keep that in mind.

If it is that good of a shooter, I would not fuck with it...unless you just want to try something different. In which case, I would look at both the AICS and the Mcree systems. As said, neither typically require bedding and both are a bolt in deal.

Either way, you should try to get behind any stock you are considering. Or, at the very least, buy used (so you can sell it if you don't like it and not loose to much).

If you would let us know where you are at (fill out your profile), you might be able to find members in your area that have what you are interested in...they might even let you try them!

Oh, and the title..."cosmetic" is what kept people from giving you advise.

This is not a real cosmetic oriented group...most are after function before form, and most find beauty in the function.

I assume that you had good intentions. But, in this culture there are a lot of people that think they can gain respect by "looking" the part. When in reality...those whose respect they seek can only be gained by doing.

Bolt was poking at you because you presented yourself as one of those guys.

The above is just for your future reference.

Okay guys, I bite the pill on the thread title; and at last, getting the type info I had hoped for. Didn't think being Army Infantry, Jungle Expert Vet. had to be part of the introduction. Most of my vet friends don't shoot anymore.

As for the stick, it is a shooter, and the man behind the gun is only trying to get better, as the eyes go. The scope came on it, and was probably, good stuff in the 80's and for what it was set up for. Great for the way I use it now, as it allows the groups I described. Graduating to a significantly more challeging phase of the art. So thanks for the positive inputs that have, finally, started to come.

New glass of the mil-dot variety (Nightforce) is forthcoming, and the idea of just changing the glass and shooting it as is, has not escaped me.(Coolaid) This is a fact finding expedition, for info on a good, solid stock; but I do like visually pleasing toys and tools. My toolbox gets a wipe-down after every use. So Bolt didn't bug me until he failed to provide any information. Gugubica, I don't think I have seen any functional sticks on this site that were not "tacticool" to look at.(Still smiling)

Now that it appears that I'm getting pass sage-brush soup, I can get on with it.

Oneshot, thanks for your comeback. Before I come to Orlando again, I'll try to contact you. What about Manatee, have you been there?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gnfiter3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay guys, I bite the pill on the thread title; and at last, getting the type info I had hoped for. Didn't think being Army Infantry, Jungle Expert Vet. had to be part of the introduction. Most of my vet friends don't shoot anymore.

As for the stick, it is a shooter, and the man behind the gun is only trying to get better, as the eyes go. The scope came on it, and was probably, good stuff in the 80's and for what it was set up for. Great for the way I use it now, as it allows the groups I described. Graduating to a significantly more challeging phase of the art. So thanks for the positive inputs that have, finally, started to come.

New glass of the mil-dot variety (Nightforce) is forthcoming, and the idea of just changing the glass and shooting it as is, has not escaped me.(Coolaid) This is a fact finding expedition, for info on a good, solid stock; but I do like visually pleasing toys and tools. My toolbox gets a wipe-down after every use. So Bolt didn't bug me until he failed to provide any information. Gugubica, I don't think I have seen any functional sticks on this site that were not "tacticool" to look at.(Still smiling)

Now that it appears that I'm getting pass sage-brush soup, I can get on with it.

Oneshot, thanks for your comeback. Before I come to Orlando again, I'll try to contact you. What about Manatee, have you been there? </div></div>

Actually, I can't say I have... unless it goes by another name. Where is it? I mostly shoot at SCGAA (Seminole Co. Gun and Archery Assoc.). It's in a little town called Geneva (Not Switzerland) For longer than 300yds I have to travel. Feel free to let me know when you're coming into town and if I can swing it we'll do a range-trip.

Coolaid: Thanks for the link to ACIS. Adam has responded with all the information I needed. Actually found that Bauer Arms, is connected to this forum. Checking with the only shop here that may have a stock or two for bolt guns. South Fl. is AR country. Try before I buy is going to be a logistical nightmare. I may have to do an old fashion recon to find some bolt gunners with the equipment experience of you Western Shooters or go 300 miles north. Gunshow yesterday was full of gas guns,with enough add-on toys to build that rediculous Photo pictured in the post. A couple of HS Precisions rifles was all that was there. Not even any reloading components. Thanks again to you and those who provided useful info.

Oneshot: Checked on Seminole County. Public Day is only the first Sunday in the month; Communion Sunday is out. If you are a member, that may give me an opportunity to get oriented to the facility and apply for membership, myself. Mapquest puts it 3 hrs and 40 minutes from me; but about 45 minutes from my friends house in Orlando, near I-4 and Turnpike. Manatee is 4-1/2 plus hours, WNW of Tampa. Need to get some trigger time out past 100. Will be in touch.

Oneshot: Hope to be in touch with you soon. There's a member contact feature here, as I recall. Either way, the trip to either Seminole or Manatee is an over-night deal for me. Will go back to the Seminole Web and review the membership rules, then see if there will be any issues.