• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Criterion 308 AR barrels

lte82

Shooter
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Mar 12, 2013
    I have a 24" DPMS 308 that shoots well (3/4 moa) but it's extremely heavy and the barrel isn't threaded, so I'm looking to go to a 20" that is threaded. I priced out a Krieger, which is $610 + shipping for a 20" threaded M110 contour, but Criterion has the same barrel for $325.

I'm 100% sure the Krieger will out shoot and outlast the Criterion, but this won't be a match gun and will mainly be used for occasional long range steel and hunting. I might shoot it 200-300 rounds a year tops.

With that said, can I expect the Criterion to shoot 1/2 moa? Or should I just spend the extra $300 and get the Krieger and wait for 6 months to get it?

I have a 24" DPMS 308 that shoots well (3/4 moa) but it's extremely heavy and the barrel isn't threaded, so I'm looking to go to a 20" that is threaded. I priced out a Krieger, which is $610 + shipping for a 20" threaded M110 contour, but Criterion has the same barrel for $325.

I'm 100% sure the Krieger will out shoot and outlast the Criterion, but this won't be a match gun and will mainly be used for occasional long range steel and hunting. I might shoot it 200-300 rounds a year tops.

With that said, can I expect the Criterion to shoot 1/2 moa? Or should I just spend the extra $300 and get the Krieger and wait for 6 months to get it?

I had a criterion stainless 16" that they advertised as a medium weight. It was still a bit hefty but it shot well. Very consistently MOA and sometimes much better, occasionally I would wing a 1/2MOA 5 shot group with my best loads.

If you want something lighter than your bull profile you need to get drastic, that 20" m110 is a bull profile too basically. Look at the Rainier Select barrels maybe, it won't shoot as tight but they are much lighter. I would go no longer than 18". Also if you have the bucks you can get a JP barrel with bolt, gas block and brake in 18" rifle gas. That would be a tight shooter AND lightweight.

The DPMS 24", non-fluted barrel weighs just about 1/2oz short of 5lbs!! It is a total pig of a barrel by any and all large-frame AR standards! The M110 from both Krieger and Criterion weigh in at just a hair over 3.5lbs so if that's the direction you are headed, your savings will be just a hair shy of 1.5lbs of muzzle weight.

The Criterion barrels I have seen and used personally have all been capable of sub-MOA accuracy with quality ammo and a competent semi-auto shooter squeezing the trigger. While they are often "compared" to Krieger barrels because of how Criterion got their start in the industry, they are NOT Kriegers by a pretty fair margin. If you want 1/2MOA or better, get the Krieger. If you want to shed weight, have a high quality barrel capable of sub-MOA accuracy without paying ~$600 and waiting the usual Krieger wait times these days, then the Criterion M110 is a reasonable alternative.

If you are search for a sub-MOA capable barrel, in stock with no wait, DPMS-pattern, that won't weigh a metric ton, then have a look at (in no particular order):

1) Mega Arms 20" hybrid med. contour weighing ~3.2lbs and guaranteed sub-MOA with match ammo for ~$320; or

2) Rainier Arms UltraMatch (med. contour...weigh 3lbs for a 20"; Shilen SS Match Blanks with RA's Match chamber) guaranteed sub-MOA also for ~$425.

First I would like to say expecting 1/2 moa CONSISTANTLY from any drop-in barrel/parts AR308 is expecting a little too much. Most of(not all) the gas guns that are ACTUALLY capable of this have hand fitted or selected parts to keep tolerences tight yet reliable. There are a lot of factors in getting an AR platform to shoot that accurate consistantly. Now i'm not saying it can't be done with drop in parts but I believe it would be more luck than the norm.

With that said I have 2 rifles with the same 18.5" medium contour 308 criterion barrel. One is new that I haven't handloaded for and the other I've shot a lot. The older one shoots great and groups between 1/2" to 3/4"(+ or -) with my handloads and maybe capable of better with more load testing. While I believe a krieger barrel MAYBE capable of better accuracy when being fitted to a bolt gun in the hands of a great gun smith I don't believe you'll see much if any difference between a criterion and a krieger in a prefit drop-in AR barrel. Both are made of the same SS(410) steel and are handlapped to an extremely smooth bore finish(at least my criterions are). The difference is kriegers are cut rifled and criterions are button rifled. Also, while criterion is ran by a former(maybe even current) krieger employee they are not the same company like many out there seem to believe.

No matter where you get your barrel from make sure you either get a headspaced bolt with it or have your current bolt headspaced to that barrel.

Last edited:
    Thanks for the thoughts on all of this...

Would the Rainier be worth the extra $100 over the Criterion? Realistically if all I get is consistent sub-moa performance with the occasional 1/2 moa groups, I'll be happy. I have gone all out on several AR match gun builds, all four with Kriegers, and they all shoot amazing, but I just want this one for suppressed hunting and shooting torso sized steel targets 600-1000 yards. I won't be shooting for 10's and x's, just vital hits on game and steel.

Would the Rainier be worth the extra $100 over the Criterion? Realistically if all I get is consistent sub-moa performance with the occasional 1/2 moa groups, I'll be happy. I have gone all out on several AR match gun builds, all four with Kriegers, and they all shoot amazing, but I just want this one for suppressed hunting and shooting torso sized steel targets 600-1000 yards. I won't be shooting for 10's and x's, just vital hits on game and steel.

That's your call. I'd put the overall quality of the Criterion M110 and that of the Rainier UM barrels about on par with a slight edge to the UM in terms of its accuracy/guarantee and the quality of the overall workmanship/fit/finish of the Shilen Match blanks that Rainier spec'd for their UM lineup. While they are guaranteed to shoot sub-MOA, I have personally seen more than a few that were capable of a good bit better on a consistent basis. Both are good values for the money...no doubt...but whether one is "worth" more than the other...is truly in the eye of the beholder. ;)

As Ian observed...as neither the Criterion nor the Rainier UM come with pre-fit/matched bolts, just be sure that you double-check your headspace before you start sending rounds downrange. Shouldn't be an issue with either unless you are using a coated bolt or have one that's on the outside edge of the spec, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!!

As Ian observed...as neither the Criterion nor the Rainier UM come with pre-fit/matched bolts, just be sure that you double-check your headspace before you start sending rounds downrange. Shouldn't be an issue with either unless you are using a coated bolt or have one that's on the outside edge of the spec, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!!

Fulton armory offers a bolt with both the criterion or krieger barrel or they'll headspace your bolt to their barrel. Both times I've bought their bolt and barrel combo so I wouldn't have to worry about headspace issues.

Fulton armory offers a bolt with both the criterion or krieger barrel or they'll headspace your bolt to their barrel. Both times I've bought their bolt and barrel combo so I wouldn't have to worry about headspace issues.

Looks like I'm going with a Criterion and a matched bolt. Thanks for all the help.

Looks like I'm going with a Criterion and a matched bolt. Thanks for all the help.

I can't think of any major holidays coming up, but they usually do a 10% discount on their site for major holidays. Also, be sure you inspect your barrel when you get it. The second one I received had a little cosmetic damage, but they replaced it with no problem and had great customer service.

Like I said I'd go with something lighter weight and maybe 18" long with medium profile at the heaviest. Anything longer and heavier and you won't want to carry it around + it will be 5ft long with the suppressor on the end of it. My next build will most likely use a 16 or 18 mega barrel FWIW. Maybe a lightweight brownells I haven't decided yet.

Criterion stainless come short chambered so yeah get a bolt at the same time...their 18" one is what I suggest, it is rifle gas and not as heavy as the M110 profile...

Criterion stainless come short chambered so yeah get a bolt at the same time...their 18" one is what I suggest, it is rifle gas and not as heavy as the M110 profile...

What do you mean by this? If you mean short chamber as in it needs to be finished by a gunsmith that is false. They(fulton) are finished barrels that only need a properly head spaced bolt. The reason behind buying their bolt or sending them yours is because there is no "mil-spec" for the 308 platform. If you order just the barrel without the headspaced bolt it's headspaced based off the bolt they are currently using at the time, but is fully finished.

What do you mean by this? If you mean short chamber as in it needs to be finished by a gunsmith that is false. They(fulton) are finished barrels that only need a properly head spaced bolt. The reason behind buying their bolt or sending them yours is because there is no "mil-spec" for the 308 platform. If you order just the barrel without the headspaced bolt it's headspaced based off the bolt they are currently using at the time, but is fully finished.

When i bought one of their stainless 308 AR barrels it didn't headspace to my bolt, I emailed them and they said that all of their stainless barrels were short chambered...

When i bought one of their stainless 308 AR barrels it didn't headspace to my bolt, I emailed them and they said that all of their stainless barrels were short chambered...

You have to send them your bolt or buy one of their bolts that is headspaced to that barrel/extension. Thats odd that someone told you that... Did you talk to an armorer or a customer service rep? I always ask to speak to an armorer(I think the one I usually get is ken or keith). I know the garand, m1a, and 1903 barrels that criterion sells are short chambered but not the AR barrels sold through Fulton.