Criterion barrel?

jPX25Iu.jpg

Criterion in 6br and I ain't that good...

I purchased a 26" 308 Varmint Rem/Age FROM Northland, back in 2013. I could never get it to shoot. Criterion took it back, no questions asked, and sent me out a new one. Even shortened the length, threaded it, and bead blasted it. Awesome customer service. It shoots pretty good, but I don't have enough time on it to say for sure. I think Iwould buy another one, though.

Reactions: Sierra770 and Dill
I think Criterion is the way to go. Hell with machining tolerances what they are today. More makers can put out quality barrels when they know what they are doing.

Same, I ordered a nitrided 21" .260 Rem barrel for my RPR in Dec 2018. I received it in May 2019, and I could never get it to shoot through 400 or 500 rounds, and they took it back no questions asked. They sent me a new barrel, and this one shoots way better than I do. I've shot some .5 MOA groups with it when I've done my part, and I have no doubt it would do better if I were up to the task (I'm not). Although it took a while, I'm happy with my purchase and the support I received from Michael at Criterion.

I purchased a 26" 308 Varmint Rem/Age FROM Northland, back in 2013. I could never get it to shoot. Criterion took it back, no questions asked, and sent me out a new one. Even shortened the length, threaded it, and bead blasted it. Awesome customer service. It shoots pretty good, but I don't have enough time on it to say for sure. I think Iwould buy another one, though.

Reactions: jh2785
Yeah I probably should have clarified. Nothing crazy but gotta be tough to stock every option, right? 22” 6.5CM with...some profile. I don’t remember heavy varmint I think.

That makes sense. I’m sure common calibers do not stick around along.

Mine was a 26”, 308, 1:10, MTU Contour. Next will be a 26”, 1:8, 260 Rem, MTU or heavy Palma! ?

Reactions: Dill
Are you folks using the Northland tools for barrel swaps, or something else? I have a criterion Remage 12 twist 223 that shoots very well. However I will likely purchase a .223 AI to replace it from NSS

I think you’ll like the .260 barrel. I have a couple from Criterion and they shoot very well.

That makes sense. I’m sure common calibers do not stick around along.

Mine was a 26”, 308, 1:10, MTU Contour. Next will be a 26”, 1:8, 260 Rem, MTU or heavy Palma! ?

Reactions: EN2722
I bought the wheeler action vise and drilled and cut some oak for a barrel clamp. Works alright but again nothing to compare against. The new barrel showed up yesterday and it’s a beaut. Was going to get out and shoot a ladder test this weekend but we’re all furloughed so I’m dropping out of the max ordinate high angle course I was signed up for in April and just laying low until we start getting work again. Probably going to let the mark 5 go that I just picked up, sadly

Button rifling doesn't cut. A mandrel is pushed or pulled through the bore and displaces material into the shape of rifling. It's more susceptible to button slip (twist rate error) and displacing the material work hardens it and creates internal stresses. If good stress-relief processes are in place, button barrels shoot right in there with all of the good cut barrels. Benchmark, Criterion, Rock Creek, Shilen, etc... All make outstanding button barrels.

Cut rifled barrels don't stress the steel but take forever (relatively) to make. Multiple passes per groove vs. push/pull a single mandrel through the bore. The theory has always been that if you never stress the steel then you have less chance for a dud. I think modern manufacturing&QC processes pretty much negate that "old" sentiment with quality barrel blanks.

Factory rifles often come with button barrels, but the quality standards are much worse so it's not really even in the same universe. Nobody wastes their time making 'cheap' cut-rifled barrels because it takes so long. So I guess a guy could still kinda make the point that button rifling is on a sliding scale of quality where cut-rifled blanks are almost all top-notch... But again, with the brands I listed before, and many others, it's a non-issue between the two methods as far as end-result accuracy.

FWIW, I'm currently running a $170 Wilson blank for my 6.5cm practice barrel and it's doing well under 1MOA with factory ammo. Good enough I'd have no reservations competing with it.
will that 1 moa hold at 300 yds in a 223

Reactions: Bandit320