• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Advanced Marksmanship cross-eye dominance

rocdoc

Private
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2009
Austin, TX
I'm lefty but right-eye dominant. Switching to shooting right-handed would line me up with my dominant eye and open up more options in terms of rifles and accessories not made in LH versions. Any downside to switching?

Re: cross-eye dominance

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rocdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm lefty but right-eye dominant. Switching to shooting right-handed would line me up with my dominant eye and open up more options in terms of rifles and accessories not made in LH versions. Any downside to switching? </div></div>

I'd say stay with both. That way you don't have a strong side or weak side, just left or right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">might screw up you golf game and power stroke in racquetball </div></div>

i don't think they can get much worse...

When I saw the thread title I thought you were saying you are cross-eyed and didn't which eye was dominant. So yea shoot both ways cause it <span style="text-decoration: underline">will</span> improve your golf game

spend some time shooting both ways (as everyone should anyway), keep your targets, and see which way produces the best results on paper over a period of a few months. a good shooting rimfire would be a great way to do it economically.

then figure out which way you feel more comfortable shooting (applicable to long waits when hunting), and weigh the other advantages / disadvantages of staying one way or another, then pick the way the that is the most advantagous to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rocdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm lefty but right-eye dominant. Switching to shooting right-handed would line me up with my dominant eye and open up more options in terms of rifles and accessories not made in LH versions. Any downside to switching? </div></div>
I'll trade my left eye for your right eye then we'll both be in business. I have just the opposite issue (amongst others I'm sure a few would say) I'm right handed but left eye dominant. I shoot bow and pistol with both eyes open, but rifle all from the right. The only time it messes with me is when I try to shoot with the scope with both eyes open. I practice shooting from the left on occasion just in case I'd need to but mainly keep it all to the right. So guess I'm saying it can be done but all my rifles and me are right handed so I'm not really feeling the switch over. But have wondered if I'd shoot better uses the left eye even though I'd be using the wrong hand.
laugh.gif

Have same problem. Dad and uncles taught my how to shoot and they were all right handed.Shoot bow rifle and shotgun all right handed but shoot pistol left handed. I'm still a fair shot but know I would be considerably better if I was using my left eye since the vision in it is alot better.