• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Cut Shells (The Poor Mans Slug)

Re: Cut Shells (The Poor Mans Slug)

Killed Deer with them and it's the oldest of ploys,to get wayward Waterfowl that's hanging tight,to fly and hopefully circle dekes.

Fiber wads trump plastic,for effectiveness.

My friends and I were doing this in the 1960s. One of them showed it to me and I showed it to someone else. I never really thought about though. I actually used it a couple of times. But not too much.

Good to be reminded of things like this.

We used to do this to scare the ducks and geese to our side of the lake, shoot on the opposit side of them to scare them to us.
That was in the mid '60's
Sometimes with a full choke, they would come apart and hold a tight pattern shot group.
Borg

Ive been doing this since I was a kid, but fair warning, if you have a thin barrel it can bulge it. Also it leaves an incredible amount of plastic residue behind because of the friction of the whole case going down your barrel.The only way Ive found to remove it is with a solvent Brownells sells for plastic wad residue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hambone590</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is it even safe? would it get stuck in the barrel? </div></div>

Nope, it all come's out either as a solid mass or it may blow open a few yard's from the muzzle.

I watched that video a few weeks ago and it was making me cringe!
I kept wondering about the choke at the end of the barrel.
I can say it just <span style="font-weight: bold">ain't</span> gonna happen in my new Citori XT
wink.gif

Tried it on my buddies 870 last weekend. Very cool. Turned some generic 100rd walmart packs of federal 2&3/4 into pretty powerful little slugs.

The first time I tried it my buddy was worried it was gonna hurt his 870. Afterwards, seeing a perfect circle the size of a quarter blown through a fridge door, he was excited.

I'd use it in a fixed choke gun but with screw in chokes, I don't think I would.

I have seen it happen unintentionally while trap shooting when a hull was reloaded too many times, they can come apart like that. This was back in the day of the high base (not high brass) hulls.

They even sell a tool to do this, it's called a D-Loader Shotshell Dismantler

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cannot imagine how much meat you would loose on a deer with that. </div></div>

Not much if you shoot for the head.LOL