. Cutting Edge 375 projos

A

Augustus

I am firing some new 375 cal projos. There are two versions. One is 375 gr. the other one is a 400 grainer. They are both stable from an 8 twist. They probably will work in slower twist but an 8 is the slowest barrel I have. From the testing I have done so far I can tell you these are very accurate bullets. I am only shooting two at a time due to cost and availability; however, I shot some of them at 100 while getting a 100 yd zero and chrono info. The 375 was the most accurate out of the 8 twist, the two shot groups were under .3 with one of them being one hole. The 400 gr. were around .4 out of the 8 twist. I also shot some of the 400 gr from a 6.5 twist and the two shots were touching. I realize these are only two shot groups and need much more testing before being proclaimed a .25 bullet. Anyway I have only fired a few at distance. They showed outstanding accuracy at one mile and I will share the info after a few more has been sent downrange to see for sure if it was a repeatable occurance or just a fluke. I will not post a BC for now in the interest of getting along and in the abscence of more data. What I can tell you with confidence is that they are showing outstanding acuracy so far.

Re: . Cutting Edge 375 projos

To all, I will go to 2500 for sure, if they are still supersonic at that distance I will go further. The rifle is a Lawton 8000. The 8 twist is an eight groove Lawton 30 in.,the 6.5 twist is a Bartlien gain 30 in. The bullet is not made by any of the usual posters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Augustus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> To all, I will go to 2500 for sure, if they are still supersonic at that distance I will go further. The rifle is a Lawton 8000. The 8 twist is an eight groove Lawton 30 in.,the 6.5 twist is a Bartlien gain 30 in. <span style="color: #FF0000">The bullet is not made by any of the usual posters. </span></div></div>

<span style="font-size: 26pt">ahha</span>

Jimmy, I am firing them from a standard Chey-tac chambering. 145 gr. of US 869 yields 3015 with the 375 gr.. This seems to be a fairly mild load. I will go up in small increments and I suspect it will top out at about 150 gr yielding around 3075 or so.

My bud is sold on their 415 grn 408 projo.He bought another box to test if they'll foul the barrel less then the monolithics do.Have you found any issues with barrel fouling shooting the 375's so far ?

Steve

I havent seen any excessive fouling so far; however, I dont have that many down the tube. I think the 408 seen extensive testing so you could contact Cutting Edge and ask if they had any issues. If a problem does develop the bearing surface could be reduced by using bands. The bearing surface on the ones I have is pretty short and I dont anticipate fouling will be an issue.

My interest in them was for Longrange target shooting. They are hollow points and the nose seems to open up easily so they would probably be OK for game. I will shoot a few wild hogs when the opportunity is presented and we can tell how they do on game.

I will post all the accuracy and drop data at various ranges after more rds have been expended. Testing is still in the baby stage right now so I would advise folks to wait and see how this all shakes out before buying barrels to shoot these from.

The testing will be complte on these prototypes sooner rather than later. I should have plenty of rds to complete the test arriving this week. I will do it in the following 3-4 days providing the weather Czar smiles down on me. Also I am waiting on a proof screen for the Oehler 35. It was shipped yesterday so I should have it by the time the new shipment of projos get here.

Ok, Ive shot more of the Cutting Edge 375 gr and the 400 gr. Out of the 8 twist they were crazy accurate at 100 yds. At 300 they were around 1 min. At 1000 they were usually just over 1 min.

I then screwed on the Bartiien 13/6.5 gain twist. Things has gotten really interesting now. I fired three of the 375 gr. at 1000, the group was 2.75 inches center to center. I then fired three of the 400 gr. at 1000 and the three shot group was 5.75 inches center to center. I went out to a mile but it was getting dark and visability was fading so I decided to wait until tomorrow. I think the 375 Chey-tac is about to make a statement.

did some reading on cutting edges sight and most of their pills need to be driving hard and fast to get the BC they list.

So I to am curious of muzzle velocities. Your using a 30" barrel. How does the speeds of the CE rounds compare to your normal handloads of similar weights?

The vel. on the 400 is around 3000 fps, the vel on the 375 is 3150. The speeds and pressure is similar to the ZA series. The 350 SMK flies at around 3200. For comparison I was running the 400 ZA at 3050 when I tested it at 2560.

Update, I fired two of the 400 gr. yesterday evening at one mile.
Temp 72
BP 29.98
RH 50
Bore Ht 1.90
Distance 1760 yds
Velocity 3000 fps
Drop 13.4 Mils

The rds landed side by side 6 inches apart with no measurable verticle dispersion. This is just two rds so I am not suggesting that the accuracy represented by these two rds is something one should expect over time. All this test accomplished was to get a peek into the what a usable G1 BC might be at this distance and muzzle velocity.

The two rds landed 6 inches apart side by side with no measurable verticle dispersion.

I just got off the phone with Rock, they are working on the 375 barrels this week. If anyone has the urge to experiment the barrels can probably be in your hands in a couple of weeks. Confirm this info with Rock before taking it as fact.

augustus, why do you think the 8 twist was inadequate? minimum spin is best, going down to faster than nessesary twist goes against good practice...

whats the fouling like in the gain twist barrel using these, i wouldnt think they would suit this type of barrel...?

They didnt shoot worth a flip in the 8 at extended range and they shoot like a dream in the 6.5, soooo, I just believed what they were telling me. I am seeing some fouling but it does not appear to be excessive and I have not seen any accuracy loss due to fouling so far. It remains to be seen how many rds can be fired before cleaning becomes a necessity. I really dont believe a gain twist is necessary. I intend to test this theory very soon with a 6.203 Rock constant twist.

Nope, it was built by a fellow hillbilly out in western Okla. I sent it to him one Friday and had it back the following Friday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Augustus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Nope, it was built by a fellow hillbilly out in western Okla. I sent it to him one Friday and had it back the following Friday. </div></div>

LMAO!! Gotta love the hillbilly network! Good stuff.

I have done most of the testing in a 6.5-13 Bartlein barrel. Ive been hooked up pretty short lately and have not had time to shoot. I did shoot more of the 400 gr. at a mile before I got too busy and they performed very well. Accuracy was sub-moa and I never got a really good day to test for accuracy. I also shot a couple of sub-half min three shot groups at 1000 yds. I made a mistake when I first posted the drops and I think the BC is somewhat less than my first posts. The prototypes I have fired so far are very conservative in the design of the nose and the BC should improve with more liberal nose designs. I can tell you Dan is not willing to trade stability and consistancy for a small gain in BC.

I expect the 400 gr. to end up with a G1 BC of 1 or so. These can be pushed to 3000 fps with US 869 out of a 30 in barrel. Also I expect them to stabilize in barrels with a slower twist. They were stable in my 8 twist but I could not match the accuracy that I got from the 6.5 twist. It may be just the difference of individual barrels. These projos really need to be fire by more folks out of multiple barrels to really get a good picture of what twist would be optimal. I am completely satisfied with the performance out of the 6.5 twist but I realize not everyone has one of these. I would like to see someone fire the 400s from a 9 twist, this would give a little deeper peek into their personality.

All I have tried is an 8 constant twist and a 13-6.5 gain twist. I have a Bartlien 9-6 gain that I bought to fire a more radical projo but I havent had it chambered yet.

Ive been hooked up shorter than a fat mans ---. Things should be letting up a little, hopefully Ill get to finish this project up soon.

Crosshairs, I have fired a few more of the Cutting Edge 400 and 375 gr projos. All were fired from the 13-6.5 twist. They are stable and shoot very well out to a mile. I have not taken them past a mile yet. I have been very busy and have not had the time to test as much as I would like. Also the wind has blown alot and I dont like to test accuracy at a mile when the wind is howling. Even though I am using the 6.5 twist i dont think it is necessary to stabilize these bullets. The 375s was fired from a 10 twist and reports are they were stable.

Augustus

Have you more test informations on the 10 twist barrel.

thanks
smile.gif

url]
[/img]

This is a photo of Will Ross in Boulder WY. Shooting a .375 Cheytac, with Cutting Edge bullets out of a 1:10 twist. [img:center]
rhk2nb.jpg
[/img]

Also click on the photo image st the top i56.tinypic to see a 2000 yard shot group

Thats some mighty good shooting there by Will Ross was that with the 375gr new cutting edge bullet in a 1-10 twist?? what barrel did Ross use for these amazing groups?
Has anyone had any luck getting the 400gr new cutting edge bullets to shoot?? and is a 8twist going to work??

Rocky Mt;
Will was shooting a Lawton built .375 Cheytac on a Lawton action and barrel, 8500 action and a 1:10 twist barrel @30". He was shooting some of Cutting Edge's .375 caliber {350 grain} bullets. He said that he was pushing the bullets at 3100, Jamison brass. I think Retumbo @ 131 or 132 grains (please don't hold me to that). He mentioned that these bullets were in the testing phase and that they should be available to for purchase in the future. He was also helping/testing to establish a physical BC on the bullet.(Not confirmed yet by Cuttiing Edge but close to .890) If anyone is interested in more info he said to feel free to contact him at his email... [email protected].