• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors CYCLONE vs 762-SD-N-6: Whats best for 308/7.62x51?

chenha

Private
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2010
Nevada
I have decided on AAC for my next 7.62 suppressor. I was at Shot Show 2011 and I was very impressed with what I saw.

I have a RRA LAR-8 Predator HP 20" Barrel 7.62x51 AR. It is my Hunting/Target/Long Range gun and I shoot Federal Gold Medal Match 7.62x51 ammo.

1) I am looking for a suppressor that has the best sound suppression and minimal/no point of impact shift.
2) Recoil reduction and reduced blow-back are also important.
3) Size/Weight is less important since I will not likely be hunting/carrying it distances--it will mostly be target/long range shooting. However is a smaller suppressor is better, then I'll take it. =)
4) Cost is not a factor, i am fine spending a few hundred more to be more.
5) I am also unclear if a quick detach is going to decrease accuracy or have more point of impact shift or not.

I didn't have too much time to spend with the reps at the Shot Show booth, but the AAC reps just kept pointing me to the 762-SD-N-6.

I have been reading the SilencerTalk posts and there have been claims that the 762-SD-N-6 is "quieter across the board."
A) However in this flyer it indicates 25db reduction for 7.62x51.
http://300aacblackout.com/resources/INFO-762SDN6-Oct18.pdf
B) The Cyclone claims 30-33 dB reduction for 7.62x51.
http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=209

I don't know if the sound measurements are comparable since they may have been tested on different weapons.

I have a YHM Phantom 556 Suppressor and it works fine (a little louder than I thought it would be even though it claims 35 dB reduction)-I am curious what anyone has to say about that.
So I don't necessarily need my 308 suppressor to go back and forth between various calibers. However, if the 308 suppressor I choose is quieter than the YHM on a 5.56 as well, then I may just have the 308 be my primary suppressor.

Please let me know your thoughts and let me know if anyone has any more data so I can make an informed decision.

Re: CYCLONE vs 762-SD-N-6: Whats best for 308/7.62x51?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder what is different between this and previous versions of the 762SD </div></div>

It is an inch shorter and has an all inconel baffle stack. The jury is still out on the sound suppression vs the old 762SD.

AAC told me the 762-SDN6 will be quieter (than 762SD) on shorter barreled 308's/ gas guns. The Cyclone will be the quietest & mine only has 1" poi shift straight down.

This is great feedback, keep it coming.
wink.gif
thx!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KaneK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AAC told me the 762-SDN6 will be quieter (than 762SD) on shorter barreled 308's/ gas guns. The Cyclone will be the quietest & mine only has 1" poi shift straight down. </div></div>

+1
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chenha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know if the aac cyclone can handle semi auto fire? </div></div>

Yes sir!

It is very well built and can certainly "handle" it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chenha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know if the aac cyclone can handle semi auto fire? </div></div>

No problemo. I run an 18x1 threaded Cyclone on a TRG 22 and have a Armalite Noveske barrel AR10 threaded same.

I have both. I use the cyclone on my bolt guns and the SD on my semis. It seems to be a better fit to have the quick attach on the semis. Honestly I have not noticed any difference between the sound supression on either can. The cool thing about the 762SD is that you can get different mounts and more easily switch it to other rifles. If you wanted to move the cyclone to another rifle it will have to have the correct thread pitch. It is easier to order multiple quick tach adapters from aac than to have multiple guns all threaded to the same thread. Thats just something that has been beneficial to me on my SD.

If you were only going to use it on one gun and have it dedicated then I would get the cyclone.

If cost is not a factor then get the best of both worlds and get both. Porbably cant go wrong either way though.

From what I have read from the guys at AAC is that the N-6 is quiter on the .308win on barrels upto 18" then even with the SD to 20" then the SD starts pulling away from the N-6 on barrels 20+". And the N-6 is quiter on the Whisper/Blackout.

And the Cyclone is quiter then both.

I went the N-6 route. Because I wanted to use it on my other rifles that already have 51tooth mounts on them. Then I am either going to do a TiTan or Cyclone for a thread on. Probably going TiTan though.