CZ 457 Ammo

If you want to be deadly with a CZ Trainer pick one ammo type and stick to it. You will figure out your sight settings by experience and will be shooting a laser.

Got my MTR today and after a very quick sight in, in the rain this was the 3rd group I shot with it.... 50 yards - .37 MOA using CCI Standard Velocity. I got the trigger down to 14 ounces with messing with a replacement spring.
MTR group.jpg

I just purchased a CZ 457 Varmint MTR....beauty and performance! I had been searching around for ammo recommendations, and once again the Hide came through for me. I can’t wait to get my hands on my MTR and good ammo. I live in Taos, NM and Winter has arrived, but I shoot out in the High Desert, 20 miles north of town at 7,500’ elevation.

Rio,
My 457 Pro Varmint likes the SK and Lapua ammo so far.
For cooler temps, you may have better temperature variation consistency with biathlon type ammo, but 7500' elevation may bring up the speed.

Density altitude at Taos airport is 6777 today (11/1/2020), so the match ammo with MV closer to 1100 FPS may shoot supersonic. My understanding is that transitioning from supersonic to subsonic has detrimental effects on precision, especially on low BC bullets.

I'd appreciate if you could share your results and experience with your new rifle.
Thanks.
YMMV and happy shooting

Rio,
My 457 Pro Varmint likes the SK and Lapua ammo so far.
For cooler temps, you may have better temperature variation consistency with biathlon type ammo, but 7500' elevation may bring up the speed.

Density altitude at Taos airport is 6777 today (11/1/2020), so the match ammo with MV closer to 1100 FPS may shoot supersonic. My understanding is that transitioning from supersonic to subsonic has detrimental effects on precision, especially on low BC bullets.

I'd appreciate if you could share your results and experience with your new rifle.
Thanks.
YMMV and happy shooting
Happy to Wolf! First I must receive my MTR and scrounge up good ammo. It’s about as hard to find as 6.5 Creedmoor. Any suggestions for online purchases? I have searched TargetSportsUSA and Champions Choice. Pretty bare shelves! Best Rio

As popular as precision 22RF repeaters have become over the past four years, I've been concerned as to whether my favorite ammo makers were going to be able to keep up with demand - and it would appear that SK/Lapua are having a very tough time doing so. It would be great if a U.S. maker would decide to cash-in on the demand for quality 22RF Match grade ammo and give them a run for the money...think of the reduction in trade deficit with Germany it would make! Not to mention not having to wait on the next shipment of SK/Lapua to arrive at Nammo's warehouse in Mo.

to test we tried
sk red , sk long range , winchester ,cci standards , eley tenex , cci mini mag , lapua I think it was the Center-X .22 LR
they all were not horriable just the best sd's and groups i got with the sk red's my worst sd's were from the cci standard and mini mag ok groups but sd's in the 20's I also liked the center x but had the least of it to play with least favorate was the winchesters stuff out of 50 5 or more refused to fire and it grouped the worst for me it all has its place I guess we even enjoyed shooting the sk flat nose pinkish or purpleish what ever color the box is I do wonder what magic slime sk puts on there bullets inside i notice nothing but as the temp started to get really hot a tiny bit of moisture make the tiny 22 rounds feel like those slimy worms that can choke sharks and it gets everywhere lol its a trip Id say try em all and see what you get as hard as it is to get ammo I am just happy we got enough to shoot for a while let alone what my gun likes or dislikes .

Hey Dr., well there is good news and bad news on the CZ MTR and the ammo search. First, the good news, while ammo is still extremely scarce, I have located Eley Tenex at GunZoneDeals.com and Eley Match at ammoseek.com. I purchased 500 rounds from both online stores. Though very pleased to find ammo, shortly after receiving my MTR, I somehow managed to pinch my sciatic nerve which terribly inflamed my back, left hip, and left knee. After many weeks of PT, I finally feel strong enough to head out to my desert range tomorrow. I must complete the zeroing process before I can send rounds down range in earnest. I am very excited to get going and begin ammo testing. My MTR is a perfect fit for me and the LOP is as good as it gets. I will share more testing details after tomorrow. I wish a Happy New Year to all of you.

Last edited:
Hey Dr., well there is good news and bad news on the CZ MTR and the ammo search. First, the good news, while ammo is still extremely scarce, I have located Eley Tenex at GunZoneDeals.com and Eley Match at ammoseek.com. I purchased 500 rounds from both online stores. Though very pleased to find ammo, shortly after receiving my MTR, I somehow managed to pinch my sciatic nerve which terrible inflamed my back, left hip, and left knee. After many weeks of PT, I finally feel strong enough to head out to my desert range tomorrow. I must complete the zeroing process before I can send rounds down range in earnest. I am very excited to get going and begin ammo testing. My MTR is a perfect fit for me and the LOP is as good as it gets. I will share more testing details after tomorrow. I wish a Happy New Year to all of you.
Hope you get back to full health soon.
Looking forward to your experience with the MTR and finding the right ammo.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
YMMV, happy shooting.

Reactions: Dr. Strangelove_207
Hey Dr., well there is good news and bad news on the CZ MTR and the ammo search. First, the good news, while ammo is still extremely scarce, I have located Eley Tenex at GunZoneDeals.com and Eley Match at ammoseek.com. I purchased 500 rounds from both online stores. Though very pleased to find ammo, shortly after receiving my MTR, I somehow managed to pinch my sciatic nerve which terrible inflamed my back, left hip, and left knee. After many weeks of PT, I finally feel strong enough to head out to my desert range tomorrow. I must complete the zeroing process before I can send rounds down range in earnest. I am very excited to get going and begin ammo testing. My MTR is a perfect fit for me and the LOP is as good as it gets. I will share more testing details after tomorrow. I wish a Happy New Year to all of you.

Hey Rio, sorry to hear your bad news but I’m glad you’re on the mend. Happy testing and happy New Year!

I've shot CX, SK PM, and SK RM in my MTR. The CX is slightly better with RM next. I have some Norma Match, Norma Tac-22, and Wolf Match Extra coming. For the heck of it I tried some Fed. Auto Match (just because I have a bunch) not so good.

I've shot CX, SK PM, and SK RM in my MTR. The CX is slightly better with RM next. I have some Norma Match, Norma Tac-22, and Wolf Match Extra coming. For the heck of it I tried some Fed. Auto Match (just because I have a bunch) not so good.

Clearly my mileage might vary (if I get an MTR!) but what sort of groups are you averaging with yours?

Clearly my mileage might vary (if I get an MTR!) but what sort of groups are you averaging with yours?
I'm not a group shooter. I'm practicing for ARA Factory benchrest at 50 yds. Here's my best target so far. I'm going to test some ammo tomorrow and will shoot some groups.

50696772807_5cf43cf3ff_z.jpg

Hope you get back to full health soon.
Looking forward to your experience with the MTR and finding the right ammo.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
YMMV, happy shooting.
Mr. Wolf, Rio here, I finally made it out to the range yesterday on a cold, gray day. The temperature at noon was 32 degrees, light wind with several inches of snow still on the ground. Since it was so chilly, I decided not to test ammunition, but rather zero the rifle and see what kind of groups I could shoot with the modestly priced Aguila Super Extra 38 grain round, 1285 fps. It's clear that I need to spend much more time at the range with my MTR, but I believe it is capable shooting very, very accurately. For the first shoots, I'll take it. Attached are several photos I thought I would send along. Best, Rio

IMG_0421.JPG
IMG_0422.JPG
IMG_0423.JPG
IMG_0424.JPG

Last edited:
Mr. Wolf, Rio here, I finally made it out to the range yesterday on a cold, gray day. The temperature at noon was 32 degrees, light wind with several inches of snow still on the ground. Since it was so chilly, I decided not to test ammunition, but rather zero the rifle and see what kind of groups I could shoot with the modestly priced Aguila Super Extra 38 grain round, 1285 fps. It's clear that I need to spend much more time at the range with my MTR, but I believe it is capable shooting very, very accurately. For the first shoots, I'll take it. Attached are several photos I thought I would send along. Best, Rio

View attachment 7517736View attachment 7517737View attachment 7517738View attachment 7517739
Rio,
good shooting with the Aguila, near MOA with the .53” If this is initial break in, recommend shooting 500-600 rounds of the cheapest 22lr you can get. when shooting higher quality stuff, i lumped ammo From the manufacurers together for testing (Ie shoot, center x and SK together, eley product together etc.)
It may be my imagination or me getting used to the rifle, but my groups settled down after shooting a few boxes of the same manufactured ammo.
At this point, all I shoot are Lapua/SK std+/SK RM with their oily lubricant and there is no appreciable fouling shots needed when switching ammo between them.
YMMY, happy shooting