CZ 527 varmint Kevlar

pistolwhipped

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2009
Hello everyone I am new here and I wanted to get your opinion of this rifle.
I have read reviews on it and they all seem to be favorable with the exception of the trigger. Some love it, some hate it.
Do any of you have experience with this rifle or any CZ rifle with the SS trigger? I heard there are replacment triggers so I am not too worried about it. I guess my question is what is your over all feel for the rifle?

Re: CZ 527 varmint Kevlar

I have a couple of 527's and one is a Kevlar model in .204 Ruger.

Here are some of my observations..........

It's a decent rifle, my action/barrel could stand to be bedded though as the barrel is a bit off center. Have shot many 5 shot groups in the 3/8-1/2 inch range but I wont call it a 1/2 moa rifle more likey just under moa on average. This with handloads mostly, my rifle does not like Hornady's factory 40 gr load but shoots the 32gr factory load good.

One thing that is common with them is the bolt clearance or lack of with the ocular peice. Depending on the scope, medium of high rings are nesscesary to give enough clearance for the bolt not to hit the eye piece. There is fellow that does a bolt modification that cures that problem but my mind is dawing a blank.

The stock features dual palm swells which is a nice touch but does increase the grip size and might be to large for smaller hands.

The single set trigger is ok, I set the regular pull for 3lbs and on the set they are 12ozs. The gripe I have with the set is the terrible over travel with them, I just cant get used to that.

The action is a bit stiff out of the box but nights of cycling has got a bit smoother.

If you are not familular with the saftey, it is backwards to the American style, meaning it is on "safe" when in the forward position and on "fire" in the rear position. The fire position is marked with a bright red dot.

While the above may appear to be a lot of negatives these are my thoughts on the 527, but all in all I give them a thumbs up, it's just that nothing is going to be perfect for everyone.

CZ2.jpg

I owned a 527 American for a short time. I would love the little rifle but for the mag confines. A little longer mag allowing for a COAL around 2.5" would be slick. As it stands, getting the most out of the heavy .223 bullets (75gr) is not realistic given the mag confines.

Thank you for the info that is very helpful. I think I will go ahead and get this rifle. I am getting a great deal for it and from what I see these are issues that can be cured.

Also, one more question. I see in your picture that you scope is almost all the way to the rear in your rings. Is that just how you like it or does that help with the bolt/eye peice contact?? And what rings do you recommend?

Thanks again guys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el gordo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a couple of 527's and one is a Kevlar model in .204 Ruger.

Here are some of my observations..........

It's a decent rifle, my action/barrel could stand to be bedded though as the barrel is a bit off center. Have shot many 5 shot groups in the 3/8-1/2 inch range but I wont call it a 1/2 moa rifle more likey just under moa on average. This with handloads mostly, my rifle does not like Hornady's factory 40 gr load but shoots the 32gr factory load good.

One thing that is common with them is the bolt clearance or lack of with the ocular peice. Depending on the scope, medium of high rings are nesscesary to give enough clearance for the bolt not to hit the eye piece. There is fellow that does a bolt modification that cures that problem but my mind is dawing a blank.

The stock features dual palm swells which is a nice touch but does increase the grip size and might be to large for smaller hands.

The single set trigger is ok, I set the regular pull for 3lbs and on the set they are 12ozs. The gripe I have with the set is the terrible over travel with them, I just cant get used to that.

The action is a bit stiff out of the box but nights of cycling has got a bit smoother.

If you are not familular with the saftey, it is backwards to the American style, meaning it is on "safe" when in the forward position and on "fire" in the rear position. The fire position is marked with a bright red dot.

While the above may appear to be a lot of negatives these are my thoughts on the 527, but all in all I give them a thumbs up, it's just that nothing is going to be perfect for everyone.

CZ2.jpg

</div></div>

I have a 22lr Varmint with the single set trigger. I'm not sure how similar the triggers are compared to the centerfires, but there is noticeable overtravel as previously mentioned. I've gotten used to it to some degree and its a very fun rifle to shoot.

I have a friend who I regularly see at the range with his. My Savage 12FV I think will out-shoot his but it isn't like his is any slouch either. I've shot a number of 5 shot groups with his in the .2-.4 range.

I guess I'm not like everyone else in that I like CZ's single set triggers. I use the set on his which is at 6 oz. and mine on my 550 is set at 12 oz. Both the regular and single set are adjustable. As far as overtravel goes I think it's better than having a stop right behind the trigger. When you fire the single set the trigger actually moves away from your finger. So, to me it's not an issue.

Sandwarrior makes a good point. The set trigger is so light that you really don't get overtravel unless you blow right through the trigger pull or yank the trigger. I haven't measured the weight on mine, but its set very low.

I see what your saying and that actually sounds pretty good. I was kinda bummed about the trigger, kinda like getting a nice rife that has a defect. From what you said trigger sounds like something I will like.

Thanks for your help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a friend who I regularly see at the range with his. My Savage 12FV I think will out-shoot his but it isn't like his is any slouch either. I've shot a number of 5 shot groups with his in the .2-.4 range.

I guess I'm not like everyone else in that I like CZ's single set triggers. I use the set on his which is at 6 oz. and mine on my 550 is set at 12 oz. Both the regular and single set are adjustable. As far as overtravel goes I think it's better than having a stop right behind the trigger. When you fire the single set the trigger actually moves away from your finger. So, to me it's not an issue. </div></div>

Their single set trigger actually works a little different than most set triggers. It's spring loaded but instead of being attached directly to the trigger sear it has it's own. When that is tripped it swings under spring power to "smack" the sear assembly off. It's very fast so there is very little to make the rifle move when it's pulled.

This is opposed to a lot of set triggers that just set the sear closer to being tripped by the regular trigger. The main trigger is often spring loaded to go a little further on the sear. I've also seen set triggers where the set trigger armed a spring and the spring countered the spring 'weight' of the trigger. More'n one way to skin this cat and CZ has a good one.

My gunsmith worked my trigger, and it is as good now as ANY of my customs. My CZ527 Varmint Kevlar is running the factory barrel and other than bedding and truing the action, it's bone stock.

here is from the range this weekend. 15 shot group @ 100. the bottom 2 and top 2 that look like fliers are sight in shots. nothing special about the group, but it is a rapid fire group and was shot in under 2 minutes. even including the 2 sight in shots it's under 1". the actual 15 shot group however is just at .5

223group.jpg

Thats what I plan to do as well. I want the action trued and a lot of people say to get it bedded also.
Thats nice grouping! I should have mine in 10 days or so and then I will post pics of my first outing.

Also, is that pic from Wes Thompson's?

The target stand kind of looks like it.

Thanks for the good word.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jephs422</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My gunsmith worked my trigger, and it is as good now as ANY of my customs. My CZ527 Varmint Kevlar is running the factory barrel and other than bedding and truing the action, it's bone stock.

here is from the range this weekend. 15 shot group @ 100. the bottom 2 and top 2 that look like fliers are sight in shots. nothing special about the group, but it is a rapid fire group and was shot in under 2 minutes. even including the 2 sight in shots it's under 1". the actual 15 shot group however is just at .5

223group.jpg

</div></div>