• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

damn i suck!

newyork

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2009
Just got the NF 2.5-10x32 in Bobro mount on my Noveske Afghan. 1st I sighted my irons in at 50 yds, fast and easy. Then I go to then I go to 200 to sight in the LB reticle. I used a front rest screwed into the bench and a rear bag. Using 75 grain Prvi, BH and Tap.
This is my 1st attempt at precision and it took forever to get sighted in. I dint notice much wobble, it just seemed like I couldn't keep a consistently small group and kept over adjusted. Ringing a plate was cake but I'm looking to shoot groups.
Moved to 100 with Cor-bon 77 gr and was shooting inch and a half groups or worse and 3/4" to the left.
Why do I suck so bad?
IMAG0034.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

Re: damn i suck!

Then practice I shall do. Unfortunately I have hundreds of the least accurate ammo mentioned: Prvi 75 gr. Time to stockpile better ammo and get to the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dry fire more shoot less. </div></div>

^ And also remember if you are comparing hypothetical group sizes, you have NFI how many groups people here shoot before they get a 1MOA one and decide to post that.

What trigger group is in your platform? Single stage, or double and how heavy is it? Gritty stock could be messing up grouping shots if it isn't your form

I couldn't keep from noticing, in your pic it looks like you mounted the scope with the sticker still on, and in the rings. You might want to get that out of there for future issues.

I may just be seeing things also.

Dry fire makes you much better shooter. I am by no means a professional but I do no that.

Ammo is a big deal. I tried my AR at 100yds and couldn't get sub 2" groups with cheap factory ammo. I then worked up a load for it and am at 3/4" consistently. Some of it is obviously needed practice, but ammo looks to be most of your problem here.

For practice dry fire and put a cleaning rod section in the end of barrel and balance a penny on it. You should be able to pull the trigger and not have it fall off. If it falls left you flenched or pulled not squeezed the trigger if it falls right it's breathing usually. Not a hard fast rule, but it helps to dry fire like this and see where you need work. Do this prone for awhile and sucker a friend or kid to keep setting the penny back up.

In the army I could do this from a kneeling position too. It's very good practice to keep you steady.

Trigger is your next enemy. You can go 2 stage or a nice single. I opted to send mine to bill Springfield for a 3lb mod and it has done well for what I use it for. My Grendel has a 2 stage adjustable Geissele and it is amazing, but spendy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytM_2PG6joU

One thing I've noticed that helps with my grip on the AR platform is using the MIAD grip with the backstrap that fills in the upper area of the grip. Makes for a good indexing point that keeps you from choking up on the grip and putting off axis pressure on the trigger.

I've also found that follow through is a huge thing that most people seem to forget. Especially on semi autos. Make sure to follow through.

Dry fire is great. But rounds downrange is better. Try some XM193. I've been able to squeeze sub 1.5moa out of it.(5shot groups) If you shoot 20rd groups, you should notice that when you're shooting correctly that the group will cluster tighter in the center and fade evenly in a radial pattern. I think this is a good indicator of proper shooting technique when using lower quality ammo.

Bust through a few boxes of 20 in a range session with an occasional 5 shot group done using your match ammo. You should see improving results.

I'd also concentrate on maintaining proper alignment with the center of the scope. Since it's a fixed parallax scope, you can potentially induce parallax shift through inconsistent cheekweld. I have a similar 2.5-10x24 NXS, which doesn't have much parallax shift. Still I think with the bigger objective on yours, it will have more. Also, the parallax is probably fixed at something like 150yds on that model. Lower magnification will result in less parallax, so you might try shooting groups at 4x or 6x.

To check for proper eye alignment, dial the scopes power up to max, then back off the scope until you see a vignette around the edge of the scope. Center the vignette and move forward till the sight picture becomes clear. Try and keep both eyes open.

If at any time you find yourself feeling strained, take a breather. Also, this might sound weird, but when shooting from a bench a belt can fuck up your pulse. Don't wear your belt tight. Also try and keep both feet flat on the ground when shooting from the bench and don't touch any part of the bench with either foot or leg.

The video posted above is a great reference. And like he says the AR platform seems to require double the importance in trigger pull and consistency. I like Salmonaxe's idea also with the surplus ammo. Shoot the hell out of it for consistency so you don't have to waste your match ammo.

Thanks everyone for sharing the info. There's a ton of pointers here that I can try and things I realized I am doing wrong by reading your responses. I was going to buy a bolt action precision gun with a nice scope but I think buying a ton of .223 for my ARs is money better spent. Plus practice ofcourse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoveSPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">stringing=breathing issues, erratic groups=bad trigger discipline
Use the cheap shit and practice and it'll come to you. </div></div>

What he said, use the cheap shit to practice technique, trigger pull, breathing, etc., once you get that down pretty good move on to the better ammo and try for groups

There's some pretty good info above, especially from Salmonaxe. Here's a few more tips that I hope helps too:

You said this is your first run at precision. What is your shooting background? It sounds like you need a better base in the fundamentals of marksmanship. You can build it on an AR, but due to the different recoil pulse you might be better served with a bolt action or even better a rimfire. Basics bring mastery, and even the best shooters break out the rimfire from time to time. A good rimfire upper would even do the job, but a bolt is better for this purpose.

Are you using a rear bag? If not, start. They're cheap to buy and even cheaper to make yourself. An old sock filled with sand is even sufficient.

If you have someone experienced in your area, get some help. It's a hard skill to learn without a coach, so I hope you're not trying this one solo. Try the member link-up forum and you might have quite a few members in your area that will be willing to help.

Trigger control. It's more than just the trigger squeeze, it's in the shoulder, your grip, your face, eyes, and mostly between your ears. To me, your group says you're bucking into the recoil, but without watching you it's hard to diagnose from a single group. Unless I'm just missing it, you still didn't say what trigger type you're running.

Follow through is critical in an AR. Continue to apply all the fundamentals beyond your shot for a couple seconds including trigger squeeze and breath hold. Exaggerate it.

Dryfire before and during your shooting session. Remember a live shot is no different than a dry shot.

Finally, keep your mental focus through the string. It's too easy to see your shot holes with a 10x, and it gets into your head. Don't worry about the shots you may through. Just focus on each shot as if it is your only shot.

Hope this helps you out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's some pretty good info above, especially from Salmonaxe. Here's a few more tips that I hope helps too:

You said this is your first run at precision. What is your shooting background? It sounds like you need a better base in the fundamentals of marksmanship. You can build it on an AR, but due to the different recoil pulse you might be better served with a bolt action or even better a rimfire. Basics bring mastery, and even the best shooters break out the rimfire from time to time. A good rimfire upper would even do the job, but a bolt is better for this purpose.

Are you using a rear bag? If not, start. They're cheap to buy and even cheaper to make yourself. An old sock filled with sand is even sufficient.

If you have someone experienced in your area, get some help. It's a hard skill to learn without a coach, so I hope you're not trying this one solo. Try the member link-up forum and you might have quite a few members in your area that will be willing to help.

Trigger control. It's more than just the trigger squeeze, it's in the shoulder, your grip, your face, eyes, and mostly between your ears. To me, your group says you're bucking into the recoil, but without watching you it's hard to diagnose from a single group. Unless I'm just missing it, you still didn't say what trigger type you're running.

Follow through is critical in an AR. Continue to apply all the fundamentals beyond your shot for a couple seconds including trigger squeeze and breath hold. Exaggerate it.

Dryfire before and during your shooting session. Remember a live shot is no different than a dry shot.

Finally, keep your mental focus through the string. It's too easy to see your shot holes with a 10x, and it gets into your head. Don't worry about the shots you may through. Just focus on each shot as if it is your only shot.

Hope this helps you out. </div></div>

Thanks buddy. My background is with ARs with Aimpoint. I am using a Caldwell rest bag and Caldwell front rest. My trigger is a Geissele SSA. I have wanted a bolt and have decided to think more about getting one and getting more ammo for this AR and my 2 others so I can practice with them more. A rimfire bolt would be something I could afford right away though.