• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Dang it! I think I finally solved the puzzle.

LuckyDuck

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 4, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    As long as forums have existed- the proverbial question has always existed... "what is the best hiking gun"? I think I finally cracked the nuances behind the decades old question. The pistol has to be light enough... It has to be chambered in a caliber capable enough... it also needs to be concealable. I think I've got it finally...

A S&W Shield (Gen 1 or 2) chambered in 40 S&W, loaded with 180 gr Nosler controlled expansion rounds is about as good as it ever will come with what's available on the market today.

-LD

IMG_1992.gif

As long as forums have existed- the proverbial question has always existed... "what is the best hiking gun"? I think I finally cracked the nuances behind the decades old question. The pistol has to be light enough... It has to be chambered in a caliber capable enough... it also needs to be concealable. I think I've got it finally...

A S&W Shield (Gen 1 or 2) chambered in 40 S&W, loaded with 180 gr Nosler controlled expansion rounds is about as good as it ever will come with what's available on the market today.

-LD
    So have you ever actually seen a gun before ?
    In real life ? (we ain't talkin no GTA video game shit here).

A short and weak chambered in short and weak ?

Da fuk......man up.

-LD
    Good grief.
    "The pistol has to be light enough"
    Because you'd never be able to finish the hike with a few additional ounces ?

"It has to be chambered in a caliber capable enough"
    So in bear country it's going to be different from snake country

"It needs to be concealable"
    Nothing says Ohh shit!! Ohh shit!! Like digging around for a weapon when a bear is charging.

Well I'll give you a C for effort.

-LD
    Not even close.

Good grief.
    "The pistol has to be light enough"
    Because you'd never be able to finish the hike with a few additional ounces ?

"It has to be chambered in a caliber capable enough"
    So in bear country it's going to be different from snake country

"It needs to be concealable"
    Nothing says Ohh shit!! Ohh shit!! Like digging around for a weapon when a bear is charging.

Well I'll give you a C for effort.
    Give him a big fat stupid F for being the dummy fucking duck he is

Yes it is using 357 loads I use mine for florida CC @ 13 oz loaded its a dream .I practice quick draw [IWB] with 38 sp. then before I leave I run 357 until it really hurts [almost made 20 once] . These snubskis aint for target practice or plinking they shine at putting the front sight on low center mass like a red dot at bad breath range then detonate twice. When the weather cools off here i go back to my 2.5 python for CC .

Reactions: MO Fugga

-LD
    The best hiking gun is staying inside & day drinking.

Those are garbage weapons

They have a purpose. Keep one loaded with #8 sitting on the baby JD for sneks and what not. It hasn’t failed me yet on that mission. If it falls off and gets run over by the brushhog, then I’m not super upset.
    IMG_1491.jpeg

All depends on where ur hiking, in brown/ Grizz country , I'd take my S&W m&p 2.0 in 10mm with 200gr underwood hard cast , in any other area a compact 9mm should do just fine , years ago I carried a charter arms bulldog pug in 44 spl , it would still be a useful self-defence pistol very concealable even in a coat pocket ,I keep it loaded with ratshot mostly now for sneks around the place , it throws a pretty good pattern at 5ft.

Reactions: Modoc
    Yes it is using 357 loads I use mine for florida CC @ 13 oz loaded its a dream .I practice quick draw [IWB] with 38 sp. then before I leave I run 357 until it really hurts [almost made 20 once] . These snubskis aint for target practice or plinking they shine at putting the front sight on low center mass like a red dot at bad breath range then detonate twice. When the weather cools off here i go back to my 2.5 python for CC .

I have a 2" Kimber K6s that is brutal with magnums in it. It is, however, a very accurate and incredibly smooth revolver with 38 +p's

Reactions: sloporsche
    Mini Uzi submachine gun, chambered in 9x19 mm FMJ, full auto option, 32 rounds minimum.
    Should be enough for any teddy bear closer than 50 yards.
    I'd like to carry something chambered in 7.62x39 mm for teddy, but AK47 and such are bit too big for concealed carry

Mini Uzi submachine gun, chambered in 9x19 mm FMJ, full auto option, 32 rounds minimum.
    Should be enough for any teddy bear closer than 50 yards.
    I'd like to carry something chambered in 7.62x39 mm for teddy, but AK47 and such are bit too big for concealed carry
    When I was young, my friends dad had a Freedom Arms revolver in 454 Casull. It was very impressive but also way out of my budget. I never bought one. It would leave a bruise on your middle finger from the trigger guard smacking it and twist violently in your hands. Very impressive.

Then Taurus announced the Raging Bull, priced right and I would not worry too much about fucking it up in the Bush. It was just the ticket. Incredibly accurate and very mild using the 45LC. I kept hot Casull in it when I was actually out and about. I carried it almost everywhere I went outside in Alaska.

Its grip is different, more modern than the old cowboy Freedom Arms, ported out the top, I think it's an 8" barrel. Recoil is straight back at you and manageable for staying near the target. I can tell you that 5 hot ones fast is still not fun on the palm. The only animal I have ever killed with it is a skunk, using Buffalo Bore Casull stuff but I don't recall the weight...300 gr?...anyway, just bored a big hole. Not real exciting. Especially since I was downwind and must have hit the stink gland or something. I didn't inspect for entrance nor exit wounds.

Reactions: jrassy
    Hadn't really thought about it. The only hiking I am doing is hunting on public land. S&W M&P 9 mm in a drop holster because I am carrying a rifle and wearing a frame backpack. So, at that point, the weight of my handgun is the least concerning thing.

Uzi in full auto mode killed 3 wild pigs (one was a big boar) practically on spot. Bunch of the pigs were resting in mud some 70-80 yards away when the local guy run into them and opened fire. Massacre! Uzi is nasty thing on every game
    Substitute Uzi for AK-47 and this was running through my head, just now.

Reactions: sloporsche