• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

DD5V4 and ammo

Greetings new member,
I recently switched from a Victor .308 to the DD5v4. The victor seemed to shoot good 100yd groups on cheap PMC . The DD5v4 on the other hand was not so good. Having said that there are contributing factors to this.

DD5 brand new 50 rds
i normally run CMC Single Stage triggers and straight out the box reverting to a heavy mil-spec ... iykyk

So generalized questions:

what has anyone found to be a great off the shelf ammo to shoot for decent precision?
reloading formulas ?

Thank you for any information.

What group sizes? The DD5 isn't exactly a precision rifle.
Rifle out of the box first 50 -> 50 yrd .5 inch or closer
100yd 4-5 inch group

handicaps: Shooter use to single stage trigger not heavy mil-spec
pmc 308 147gr fmjbt
new rifle

this is tied to what others may have found for best reload or off the shelf ammo to utilize when i choose to go to the long range for practice etc. Guess you would call best pracrices to finesse the DD5. I have already upgraded the trigger.

Reactions: Charmingmander
I thought the DD came with a good trigger?

Anyways for good groups if it's 308 try 168 federal match. For basic use or carbine shooting/plinking whatever the cheapest not shitty 150gr FMJ will work, swiss saltech for example, avoid the turkish stuff tho
Im use to single stage CMC triggers. I dont think i have put a finger on a milspec trigger in a few years.

I will grab some of those federals 168's for testing.

Reactions: Charmingmander
Rifle out of the box first 50 -> 50 yrd .5 inch or closer
100yd 4-5 inch group

handicaps: Shooter use to single stage trigger not heavy mil-spec
pmc 308 147gr fmjbt
new rifle

this is tied to what others may have found for best reload or off the shelf ammo to utilize when i choose to go to the long range for practice etc. Guess you would call best pracrices to finesse the DD5. I have already upgraded the trigger.

If you are shooting 1" groups at 50 yards and 4" groups at 100 you could have parallax issues with your scope, maybe it's mounted too far to the rear or forwards.

I thought the DD came with a good trigger?

Anyways for good groups if it's 308 try 168 federal match. For basic use or carbine shooting/plinking whatever the cheapest not shitty 150gr FMJ will work, swiss saltech for example, avoid the turkish stuff tho
I have had good luck with 175 federal gold medal match as well.

The nearest 1000yd range is over 3 hrs away. THe range i currently practice at is 200 to 250 max.

Day of shooting:
new rifle - stock
SH-4j 6-24x50 34mm mounted with American Defense Redcon-M Tactical rings

Next Round:
rifle +50 rounds on barrel
same scope
Rise trigger

I am going to pick up some of the ammo recommended.

I appreicate the help.