• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Deciding on a new scope.

bismarck5

Private
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2014
Palos Verdes, CA
Hi all,

I'm saving up/waiting to buy a .308. This will be my first foray into long range shooting and most of my time will be spent from 300-600 yards shooting steel and paper, hopefully I'll be able to move up to longer ranges as I become more proficient. I'll also want to eventually enter some matches. Anyways, I've been shopping around for a good scope that is around 1000$. I'd be willing to pay a little more if the quality or advantages warrant it, I want a scope that will last. Right now I'm really leaning towards a Vortex PST 4-16 FFP. I've read a lot of good things, and some bad, but is this a good bet or are there other options that are better suited to my needs.

Also, this might be a completely wrong idea, but would the USO ST-10 possibly work, I've read about the quality of glass making up for a lack of magnification, just an idea. (this is also the very top end of what I would pay)
Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated
Cheers

Just a thought. If your going for longer ranges eventually, get a nice scope and with power right off the bat. I started off with the NF F1 and love it, but with not the best eyesight, ended up having to get another one with more power. Just saying...

Would it be better to spend more and end up saving in the long run, maybe find something that has been used? I've read that 10x is adequate for steel out to 1000yds(at least for the military) and I'm young so I don't plan on losing much of my eye sight for years to come.

I have both NF scopes and an ST 10. I'll echo what's been said. If you are going to spend the money for an ST 10 I'd get the Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5-21X50 scope. Great scope if you can do without an illuminated reticle and zero stop. Great glass and tracking is spot on. They can be had for just over $1100.