• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Dedicated Press for Decapping?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I intend on using a separate decapping die (Sinclair) in my reloading operations, but also see that some people use an inexpensive press for this step. Why? I have a Forster Co-Ax press and with snap-in dies, it is easy to move from one die to the next. I have seen a comment or two that have a separate press for decapping keeps primer residue off of the primary press. I have a hard time seeing how this could be a problem (at least on the Forster), but what do I know, I am new to reloading. If I got a separate press, it would be the cheap Lee press for about $28 with a shell holder.

Thanks.

- Phil

Re: Dedicated Press for Decapping?

You are correct, it's to aviod letting primer grit get between the ram and press body to cause premature wear.

I use a Lee "Reloader" for that, it also drops spent caps through the ram and into a bottle. Hardly seems worth it for those few presses that don't toss primers and grit around like my 'Chucker does.

My dad has a separate press that he uses just for decapping. He didn't intend to do it that way. The first rig he bought was a Lee progressive press. It was a total piece of mung so he bought a Dillon. He kept the Lee set up just for decapping.

Does not appear it is worth the cost of the cheap press. On the Forster, it is possible primer residue can get in and around the sliding shell holder jaws, but am having a hard time seeing this as a real problem.

- Phil

Unlikely it will affect the shellholders. The case is sitting over the primer drop tube and the case head is sealing the area around it. If you get any residue at all it will be right around the drop tube opening. I have yet to see any effect on mine.

Josh

Conventional presses with primer arm slots in the ram allow priming debris to get into the ram-press bearing, which can cause wear. Some presses do a better job than others of dealing with it (the Lee Classic Cast recommends keeping the priming arm in place, so that the debris and primer go straight down through the hollow ram).

Andy

ReloadinginfrontofthecomputersoIcan.jpg

I like Lee Decapping die. It is more durable than other brands.

I have the cheapest Lee press mounted to a hollow board.
The board is clamped to my computer desk.

It takes a long time to fill up a hollow board with spent primers.

So I can watch lots of TV on my computer, while the co-ax presses stay in the reloading room.

You don't have to dedicate the press to decapping. I use a Lee Classic Cast with the Lee Universal Decapping Die but the press serves more purpose than that. The Lee die is greate because it has the collet shaft. It is pretty forgiving if you try and decap a Berdan primed case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clark how much for one of those new shell plates?</div></div>

I will email you the sketch for free, if you p.m. me your email address.

If you want to buy time on the vertical mill, it sure would be cheaper I or someone else made a quantity. I would guess that just one would be $100, but if a guy made 50, he could get down to Forster's price for their cast part that sends springs flying or bends if case gets stuck:
028271-037 SHELLHOLDER JAW HOUSING $14.80

I like to use my Lee press and decapping die for just decapping.this gives me the chance to feel the die resize and not pushing out the primer when resizeing.but hey I would have to use the one press if my dad wouldn't had bought me the RockChucker for X-mas.