Hunting & Fishing DEER HUNTING THREAD

Re: DEER HUNTING THREAD

last week Saturday hunting a gully that had been the travel area, with an orchard behind me.
this buck came through the orchard gettin his groove on/off with a doe...through the whole orchard, he would get up on her, go to town, then they would walk a bit and he would do it again, I was unable to get a shot due to all the trees, it looked like they were going to go away from me so I got out of my blind and stalked up on them, dropped prone and deployed the bipod. when I looked through the scope they were still behind trees, so I moved to the left and looked again, now the doe is looking right at me, she took off running, the buck didn't see me and took one jump then stopped broadside looking in my direction, I fired, he dropped.
1st shot spined him, at a paced off 130yds he dropped right there, I gave him a finisher and the rest is venison.
111920116ptII.jpg

my 1st buck ever, with a rifle I just built this year.
6.5G/.264LBC built AR15 (by me) 100gr Barnes TTSx did a good job.
here is the bullet recovered from the "kill shot"
11192011barnesbulletrecovered.jpg

Man I spent all fuckin week in nearly the same spot last year and didn't see anything. I'm going to try it again this coming Monday (1st day of rifle deer in PA) and if that doesn't pan out I'm hiking the mountains.

Not much of a trophy animal but a decent size Texas doe at opening day. Fills part of the freezer quite nicely. Took another doe on Thursday so now it's time to get some pork in the freezer so I can make sausages.

It's no reindeer but quite tasty anyways.
smile.gif

IMG00042-20111105-1105.jpg

387957_10150375585871968_584411967_8698700_2112669276_n.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: airborne307th</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 8 year olds first deer picked him up from school straight to the woods.. The ar is a 6.8spc
DSC00441.jpg
</div></div>

man thats a nice buck, congrats to your boy I bet he was excited

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">280 Ackely pushing a 150 Nosler BT at 2700.

Last time I will use a Nosler for hunting.

</div></div>

I have taken dozens of big bodied deer with 140 gr Nosler Ballistic tips in 7mm08 and 7mmSTW. Its more about where you put it and the lower jaw is not a good place. High shoulder, center of vitals, heart, neck and head all can be deadly it just depends on the angle for some. That goes for just about any bullet. I know, shit happens but I wouldn't post that pic then blame the bullet.

Your daughter is tougher than most little girls, glad she had fun though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 17pt">HE SHOT SATAN!
</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSCF6071.jpg

</div></div> </div></div>

laugh.gif
He shall be known as Lucifer from now on!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

WHAT??? the super bullet didn't pass through a deer at 130 paces? I've heard that the TTSX will go through three deer at 1000 yds <span style="font-weight: bold">AND</span> was last seen carrying a six pack of lungs over the horizon!!!

laugh.gif
Sorry Kevin, couldn't resist. Great shot, and a very nice first deer.

Actually both shots were pass through, 1st shot was through the spine (pretty much center of spine above shoulders) and was not recovered.the 2nd shot was the one that I recovered, from the "killing shot", it was recovered out of the ground under the deer, point blank shot through lungs/heart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

WHAT??? the super bullet didn't pass through a deer at 130 paces? I've heard that the TTSX will go through three deer at 1000 yds <span style="font-weight: bold">AND</span> was last seen carrying a six pack of lungs over the horizon!!!

laugh.gif
Sorry Kevin, couldn't resist. Great shot, and a very nice first deer. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B VEAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got this 10 point Georgia deer this morning. Running as hard as he could go after a doe at 250-260 yards.
</div></div>

Good to hear, hopefully the next few days around here might be like that once this rain clears and temps drop. Hell of a buck Veal. Congratulations, badass rifle by the way.

freezer fillin' with the GAP Surgeon 7Wizzer @ 565yds...
deer2011011.jpg

162gr AMAX, MV 2940fps, impact velocity ~2160-ish. Broadside impact visible in pic just right of the scope's objective lens. Broke ribs & recovered the boolit just beneath the pelt on the offside. Internals were jell-o.
deer2011017.jpg

Not a bad 'shroom. I think I'll use 'em again...
wink.gif

deer2011020.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B VEAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got this 10 point Georgia deer this morning. Running as hard as he could go after a doe at 250-260 yards.
</div></div>

Good to hear, hopefully the next few days around here might be like that once this rain clears and temps drop. Hell of a buck Veal. Congratulations, badass rifle by the way. </div></div>

Thanks!

The chase is on and the deer are on the move in the northeast part of the state.

Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ejd049</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went on deer hunt and ended up getting some meat for Thanksgiving.

120ish yard shot with a 178 AMax at the based of the neck.
11Turk.jpg
</div></div>Nice eagle you got there, gold or baldy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bbear</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ejd049</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went on deer hunt and ended up getting some meat for Thanksgiving.

120ish yard shot with a 178 AMax at the based of the neck.
11Turk.jpg
</div></div>Nice eagle you got there, gold or baldy?</div></div>

Just a turkey!!!

Despite getting sick...not a bad weekend

Here is the story

Thursday nite....mounted brand new Leupold VXR 3-9x50mm scope on my brand new CVA Apex 35 whelen rifle. No boresiting done.

Friday AM.....damn atv won't start after putting the carb back on...screw it..gotta get up to the country.
Friday 4pm....get to MS, grab a fresh target and head to a field. 25 yds out first shot 4in left..adjust...2nd shot 2in left (goofball ...need to double the clicks at this distance)..3rd shot just above bullseye...adjust elevation...4th shot at 60yds (which puts me on at 100yds too)...bullseye!!!!!!!!!!! Done sighting the rifle in.

393604_215225258555376_100002037110903_492378_1023548710_n.jpg

Saturday AM hunt....Eureka

390576_215224911888744_100002037110903_492377_1157850516_n.jpg

My brother is sending more pictures but I got this one with my smart phone after tracked him down

the setup.
treeline.jpg

i was actually dialed for a buck i was after for about week! he stepped out at 385 yards with a smaller buck behind him, as im about to fire, a truck comes down the road and slows way down and spooks my buck off. i was not happy!
treeline2.jpg

so i ended up taking this doe at 562 yards.
treeline3.jpg

a few days later... different location. i had taken a monster off this spot last year also...
holtcreek2.jpg

deer double! i took the buck at 481 yards and the doe about a half hour after at 371 yards.
holtcreek.jpg

the buck was moving and i had to time it perfectly bewteen trees. hit him as he passed in front of that cedar tree. he was actually laying there in the grass. i took the doe to the left of that bare tree on the left in the scope.
holtcreek4.jpg

and a recovered 200gr accubond from the buck!
holtcreek3.jpg

oh!!! from left to right. my buck, my brothers buck, my other buck (i filled my grandpas tag.) and my buddies buck. dont be fooled by my brothers buck, both his main beams were broke in half! as it sits, its a 7 point and that deer had been shot twice already! im glad he helped that deer from suffering. the third rack from the left was an old old buck, way past prime, he was a short compact 11 point. really white antlers.
deer.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pogey Bait</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the outter bucks were nice heavy beams....nice deer
what state? </div></div>

thanks! these were north central kansas deer. also though, the second from the left had both main beams broke, i would have loved to see him all done up!

Got two more does cleaned up with the GAP 7Wizzer.
591 on the left, 550 on the right. On both of these, the 162 Amax blew through the shoulder, leaving exits about the size of a walnut...
deer2011057.jpg

And my buck from the week before last, taken with my Dtech AR-15 chambered in .25DTI. 90gr Sierra Gameking @ 2965 fps, double lung pass through...
deer2011025.jpg

Newbie contribution. Rock River Arms AR15 .223/Nikon scope Hornady 55gr TAP FPD ammo. Two shots at 70 yards & dropped like a bad habit. Nice 12 point (8 point tagged) with four broke horns apparently from fighting other bucks, not the biggest out there..we saw a 16 point strutting thru the field when we left the zone. Maybe this weekend???
Waynes12point223RRAb.jpg