• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Defiance Tenacity??

Just called them. They said it just hit the website a couple days ago. It’s an action they plan on having on the shelves at all times with no wait. First batch is spoken for but they ll have new ones shipping out in the next 30 days.

Another great option in the sub-$1000 price range. This year really is the year of lower priced action options and it's great for people looking to have something built without having to base it off a factory R700. This action, the Bighorn Origin, the ARC Nucleus, and Kelbly's Atlas Tactical are going to put Stiller out of business if they keep this up.

This is what I was referring to. defiance bolt nose.jpg They have plenty of options on their other actions.

are these better than a PTG Blue Printed action ?
What are the main differences between the standard actions and their less expensive counterparts?

An R700 action isn't built to the tolerance you need for a true custom rifle, that's why PTG and other Smith's blueprint them.

Ideally these new actions are built to a standard that they are ready to go, just add barrel.

Being budget offerings, they are cost reduced options like the R700 is. In the Nucleus, there are three cost saving measures I see. First, it does not have an integral recoil lug, this allows them to start with a smaller piece of material to cut the receiver from and less cutting which will increase tool life and reduce machining time. Second, they use a bolt on scope rail instead of the taper fit on the Mausingfield, this requires less precision machining but is a well accepted method of adding a rail. Last, the action is nitride finished instead of DLC coated. Not quite as nice.

In the case of the Nucleus, there are many features like the 3 lug bolt with toroidal geometry, controlled feed, large extractor, mechanical ejector and bolt stop which an R700 action just doesn't have.

I'm sure the others have a few unique features too.

If you find an action with features you want, the value question is up to you.

I have been wanting a custom bolt action for quite a while. The Nucleus is closer to what I want than anything else and the pre-order price was right so I put my money down.

The Tenacity Difference

We set out to make a rifle action to the same quality standard as all Defiance actions but meet a price point. Up till now, all Defiance actions have been custom. We don’t batch produce; we make actions one at a time, to the customer’s specs. As you can imagine, it takes a lot of time to get the exact specs communicated from the end user to Defiance. Customization can make production a real challenge, as anyone knows how machining works can tell you. The Tenacity will change all this.

There are no options. What you see is what you get. We’ll add left hand, bolt face diameters and long actions but that’s about it. No other options; choose what you want. All ordering will be through our web site. That means no phone time, and everything can be batched. If it’s not on the web you can’t have it, don’t even ask. When we have it, you’ll know.

Unfortunately, the Tenacity page got launched a little prematurely because we are still ramping up production so they can ship as soon as you order. I don’t like to advertise anything until we’re ready for our customers, so oops. Over the last two years we’ve added several new machines and processes that make this possible. You’ll be seeing some more developments soon along with some new options in our existing product line. I hope that clears up the rumors and guessing. We appreciate your interest.

By the way, all bolts are recessed nose, mini-16 extractors.

Firing pin size, cannot find any reference to what it will come with. Makes a difference if wanting to run small rifle primer cartridges like a Dasher or 6.5x47

Also, which extractor is used? Mini-M16 I hope.

Mine shipped on the 15th, UPS forked up and it is delayed in chicago. Should still beat the nucleus and origin to my ffl. Noticed on my invoice that I got serial number 123, pretty neat. Well H00123. Can't wait to get it in hand though.

My serial number is 106. I will get pics up asap. I think I'm going to just have the barreled action bead blasted insted of CeraKote.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
texted ffl earlier (school teacher who does ffl on the side) and haven't heard back. between ups taking forever and not getting up with ffl i am getting impatient. At least it is less than a mile away, which is somewhat comforting.

I finally got mine a few days ago. between coach pitch tournament (we won, 3rd place in the bracket, took out undefeated team with 8 of the 11 aging out this yeah, to my 3 aging out, 4 5 and 6 year olds, and a few 7 year olds), having good enough weather to put second coat of paint on my 1,200 foot long fence, and working on smoothing out the driveway haven't really done much with it besides throw a triggertech diamond in it and see how it fits in one of the grayboe renegades I have sitting around waiting on nucleus and origins to ship. Will get some pics and throw up tomorrow. But I am liking it. Granted I am coming from a background of owning dozens of savage rifles, some trued remingtons, and mostly other factory stuff. I have a bunch of 1.062x20 chambered barrels sitting around waiting on actions, unfortunately this shipped so fast (relatively) from time I ordered I don't have any 1.062x16 chambered barrels. Have a 7 twist 6mm x-caliber blank sitting around. Might order a 243 AI reamer. Anywho, starting to ramble. Long story short, very smooth, finish seems nice, will only take minor modifications to my renegades to fit perfectly (extending magwell cutout back a little and bring the recoil lug cut out back just a smidge). Will put some pics up tomorrow.

Reactions: Evlshnngns
resurrecting...
How many out there have gotten their hands on the tenacity? Still haven't shot mine yet but from fondling it I am really liking it. Got my origin in last week and am debating on which list to get on for when long actions are available. Definance has posted on facebook the more bolt faces and long actions (as well as lefties) will be added. Not official but from some communications and responses to questions on facebook it seems like the origin will be offered in long action possibly at some point. Have 2 nucleus'es shipping this week but unless they are amazing I think I would rather got with defiance or zai/bighorn.

Any recent orders know what current lead times are? Really looking forward to additional bolt face offerings.

resurrecting...
How many out there have gotten their hands on the tenacity? Still haven't shot mine yet but from fondling it I am really liking it. Got my origin in last week and am debating on which list to get on for when long actions are available. Definance has posted on facebook the more bolt faces and long actions (as well as lefties) will be added. Not official but from some communications and responses to questions on facebook it seems like the origin will be offered in long action possibly at some point. Have 2 nucleus'es shipping this week but unless they are amazing I think I would rather got with defiance or zai/bighorn.

Any recent orders know what current lead times are? Really looking forward to additional bolt face offerings.
Holding the two side by side (origin/tenacity) you have an interesting perspective... do you like one over the other as far as bolt lift, cycling, fit and finish, etc.

Holding the two side by side (origin/tenacity) you have an interesting perspective... do you like one over the other as far as bolt lift, cycling, fit and finish, etc.
Sorry about the delay in response, life... I have had a little hands on time with the tenacity and origin, as well as the couple nucleus and kelbly black bear i got in. I ordered a second Origin, which should be shipping this week, as I think I am preferring it. The Tenacity is quite nice and the only issues I have had with it are with triggertech triggers. I can't run a diamond in it, and with a special it has to be set to a really high weight. Tacsports and other trigger seem to work just fine with the tenacity.

I think so far my favorite action is the Origin, which is why I have another one coming. Well not including the Black Bear which was quite a bit more. The bolt lift on the origin and the tenacity are both very smooth and neither seem to be much more than the other as far as weight. Fit and finish on both actions are top notch.

I am wanting to get a long action atlas tactical now to try out now, but might just pre-order the NSS Bat in long action.

Anywho, both the origin and the tenacity are great actions. I do think I prefer the origin over the tenacity though. With the Badrock rifle comming out and having control round feed and not yet released long action, the Tenacity line should be getting quite a few more options shortly (since the Badrock South Fork is based off a tenacity action), which could make me change my mind.

Reactions: Evlshnngns
Im a little late posting this.. honestly didn't know the thread was here till now...
I originally called them up to ask if i could get a tenacity action polished or dlc coated they said at the time they aren't offering any coating options. I put in an order for one anyway. Figured i could cerakote it if i really didn't like the finish.. I think i ordered mine back in March or May when it was still preorders only. They happily took my money and told me it'll be about a month till they begin shipping..

A few months pass by it's now June and i didn't even receive a call from them asking for FFL info so i give them a ring. They put me on hold for about 5 minutes and they come back to tell me they somehow forgot to add me to a list. But they happened to have one action that was polished that they were "testing production times with". If i was interested i could have the polished one or i would have to wait for the 3rd production batch. I immediately jumped for the polished one i originally wanted!

I got my action in 2 days later. DROsed it immediately (and 10 day wait in comiefornia).. then sent to LRI as soon as it was out of jail. Took about 3 weeks with LRI and i had my rifle fully assembled mid July.
I'm super happy the the action. Easily the smoothest action I've ever felt. And in holding a nice consistent ⅓" at 300yrd with Hornady American Gunner 6.5cm 140gr. Still need to do hand loads but no time. Best part is, I believe this is still the only factory polished tenacity.
IMG_20180820_225222.jpg
IMG_20180826_171654.jpg
IMG_20180720_111845__01.jpg
IMG_20180820_225203.jpg

Last edited:
Kinda hard to see but my tenacity build is the FDE w/ black webbing in the back. Bix-n-andy tacsport, Grayboe renegade (3d printed and built the adjustable cheekpiece riser myself), PTG battle worn bottom metal (don't like it that much but was on sale for like $50 about a year ago so had bought 4 or 5 of them), and NSS Criterion 6XC remage barrel. Running an athlon ares on it and liking it quite well. Think I am liking the origin more than the other two actions (origin is in the middle in KRG bravo, from is my son's nucleus 6mm Creedmoor), but happy with the tenacity in general.

Attachments

• 20180922_222420.jpg
    20180922_222420.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 214
Reactions: usmc45