• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Did I mess up my new Remington SPS Tactical?

gunsandcigars88

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2009
TX
I recently picked up a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .223 and have it outfitted with the Super Sniper 16x scope and Harris Bipod. I got everything put on it and properly torqued then decided to go sight it in. After putting 20 rounds of ammunition through it I left the range(Shooting factory Match grade fiocchi it held under .75 MOA). On the way home I realized what I had just done. I had shot 20 rounds, but did not break the barrel in. For a long range gun how bad did I just screw up my accuracy?
B

Re: Did I mess up my new Remington SPS Tactical?

I have the same rifle in .308 and didn´t break in the barrel. I don´t think I or you did anything wrong. Mine is shooting fine.

Man am I glad to hear this. Now one other question I have about it. Since it has a 1 in 9" twist barrel would some good loads with 75grn rounds reach out to 1,000?

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Shilen, Inc. introduced a break-in procedure mostly because customers seemed to think that we should have one. By and large, we don't think breaking-in a new barrel is a big deal."</span></span>

From Shilen's own web site. http://www.shilen.com/faq.html#question10

Basically, if it is hand lapped - you are wasting your time. If it is factory and not lapped, you can hand lap it yourself often for less time and effort than it takes to 'break it in' with some of the methods I have seen posted on the internet.

The idea of barrel break in is to remove burrs. Regardless of how you shoot, or how many rounds you use and clean your barrel, those burrs are going to be gone relatively soon. Some BR makers I know have argued that shooting without lapping and cleaning your barrel first is likely to break in the barrel worse as the bullet drags the particles down the entire length of the barrel with a lot more pressure than lapping will. And thus, shooting a barrel to break it in is not only a myth, but detrimental to accuracy.

All said and done, most rifles with factory, non hand-lapped barrels won't likely see a bit of difference if you shoot to break in or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunsandcigars88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I recently picked up a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .223

For a long range gun how bad did I just screw up my accuracy?
B</div></div>

When you left the store
wink.gif

Just diggin at you for a .223 as a long range gun.

Dont sweat it. Remington shoots it before its shipped to you. Alot of that is benchrester paranoia.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunsandcigars88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I recently picked up a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .223

For a long range gun how bad did I just screw up my accuracy?
B</div></div>

When you left the store
wink.gif

Just diggin at you for a .223 as a long range gun.

Dont sweat it. Remington shoots it before its shipped to you. Alot of that is benchrester paranoia.

</div></div>

Well, I had a remington .308 SPS Varmint that I was going to fix up(AI Chassis, Schmidt and Bender scope, Rock Creek 24" barrel, etc). But do to my current budget it was literally going to take me about 3 years to complete it. I needed a .223 right now, and this way I was able to get a long range gun as well. Since this rifle does not really need anything done to it right now. The only thing I am going to do to this rifle is put a 20 MOA one piece scope base on it eventually. So I traded my .308 for this. I will get a .308 in a few years when the budget allows me to do what I want with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunsandcigars88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently picked up a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .223 and have it outfitted with the Super Sniper 16x scope and Harris Bipod. I got everything put on it and properly torqued then decided to go sight it in. After putting 20 rounds of ammunition through it I left the range(Shooting factory Match grade fiocchi it held under .75 MOA). On the way home I realized what I had just done. I had shot 20 rounds, but did not break the barrel in. For a long range gun how bad did I just screw up my accuracy?
B </div></div> yep you i fuck up send it to me ill fix it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunsandcigars88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man am I glad to hear this. Now one other question I have about it. Since it has a 1 in 9" twist barrel would some good loads with 75grn rounds reach out to 1,000? </div></div>

Mine does. Not quite as accurate as it is at 600, but it will do it. Work up slow and seat them long.
YMMV-Rob