• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon 550 RL won’t drop consistent charges

david walter

Insightful commentator
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2007
Out west, but not too far west
My Dillon 550 RL won’t drop consistent charges

I have a Dillion rl550b. Had it for 30+ years.

As I’ve gotten more experienced reloading, I’ve noticed that stick powders (4064, RL17, etc) are infinitely harder to get to drop consistent charges. In an experiment I just did with a charge of 7-08 and RL17, a third to half of the charges were up or down .1-.2 grains.

Am I missing some obvious trick to get the powder drop to be more consistent?.

I get using ball powders should be more consistent. But I have the same issue with StaBall 6.5.

Last edited:
That is what I would consider consistent for extruded powder. Shorter stick powders like 8208 do a little better but you’re still +-.1 at best.

There are a few things you can do like polish out the thrower and add a baffle but a volumetric thrower will never be dead nuts on weight with stick powder. Search out the numerous Dillon threads, there are a lot of tricks and details there.

Reactions: R_A_W and mtrmn
No drop measure will be "precision consistent" (to my personal level of "precision" which is +/- 0.02 grains from target) with stick powders. Period. Full stop. Even with smaller kernels (N135, 8208XBR). I won't even drop "ball" powders (H335, CFE223) for anything except bulk blaster ammo. I too use a Dillon rig.

Get a trickler, drop a tenth or two light, weigh, trickle to weight. Yes, it's slow (or expensive if you want to get an FX-120i-class autotrickler, maybe a bit iffy with Chargemaster-class autotricklers).

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
Biggest thing is to stop and really think about whether you actually *need* the charge weights to be more consistent than the stock powder measure throws, or just want them to be.

For plinking / range ammo, probably not. For hunting - at the distances most people *actually* take their game at, not what they tell their buddies online - probably not. For positional practice, most likely not. For precision shooting at extended distances... maybe yes.

As an exercise, try taking the 'same' load - 10+ rds trickled to weight, and 10+ rds thrown straight from the measure - and go shoot them side by side. Leave the chromo at home. See how much *actual* difference it makes on target, and whether or not it's worth the extra effort for the kind of shooting you want to do.

Reactions: Modoc
memilanuk,

I like that idea. I have some ammo that I know was loaded on the Dillon and I know the drop charges varied + or - a tenth or more that still shoots well out to 450 on our 1.5 MOA (minute of deer) gongs.

I just loaded 10 for my 7-08 weighing each charge.

I'll load another 10 throwing each charge and we'll see.

I'll measure group, velocity, ES and SD.

Reactions: memilanuk
The dillon is horrible with stick powders. Ball powders like cfe 223 are ok but its just the nature of their powder dropper