• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Do any of you have this problem?

Lofty

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2008
Lenexa KS
I guess this is where I should post this. The problem isn't really with my scope though, it's with my eyes.

I've always had much better than 20/20 vision. Since hitting 40 though, my near field vision has gone kaput. Within a foot I am blind as a bat with its eyes poked out. My far distance sight is as good as ever though.

So here's my problem, I can't read my turrets. I can't just glance up and see what my turrets say without leaning my head way back and coming up off the rifle. I can barely read my bubble level or my cosine indicator.

If its really bright out I can get by, but if the light starts to fail a little, I'm completely lost.

I tried shooting with reading glasses on my fore head and dropping them down when I need them but that's just stupid.

I was thinking about selling my scopes and switching over to a Horus reticle that doesn't require so much knob turning as I can see fine through the glass.

Anyone else have this issue and figure out a solution?

Re: Do any of you have this problem?

I Still do it the stupid way with the readers. (Not much choice) Let me know if you find a better way. Lasik?

LOL....the only reason I say stupid is because I want to start shooting tactical matches and running around with reading glasses on my head........I can't exactly imagine them staying put.

I also can't see through the glass with my readers on.

Man, old age sucks.

I have the same problem and I feel the same way as you not being used to glasses. If it's dim lighting I have to use readers as much as I hate to.

I started off with Horus reticles and holdovers. Then tried dialing for a few years, then went back to holdovers again about 6 months ago. I started winning when I went back to holdovers. So don't feel like you'd be at a disadvantage. After you get used to using the H system it'll be second nature.

FYI, USO makes knobs with larger numbers.

There's no permanent solution to that problem, although Steve had the same idea: I did once order a custom EREK knob for my USO with larger numbers printed on it.

Just back-off the scope to check it after you need to dial, as I'm not sure that I would even trust counting big clicks on SB's MTC knobs without also confirming the numbers.

Note that you don't need a Horus reticle to use hold-overs.
wink.gif

FYI you can purchase safety glasses from your local welding supply
that have cheaters in them.I don't know if they make them in the
darker color (sun glasses). I have to wear these at work so I can see anything up close.

I have the same problem. I got LASIK and opted for mono-vision. My right eye (dominant) is set for distance, the left for reading. Sounds weird and doesn't work for everyone, but it works for me. If you look at something close up like turrets, your brain automatically switches to your left eye.

Other options (which I haven't tried) are bifocals or low-power reading glasses with one lens removed (mono-vision kluge).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nimzoblanca</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the same problem. I got LASIK and opted for mono-vision. My right eye (dominant) is set for distance, the left for reading. Sounds weird and doesn't work for everyone, but it works for me. If you look at something close up like turrets, your brain automatically switches to your left eye.

Other options (which I haven't tried) are bifocals or low-power reading glasses with one lens removed (mono-vision kluge). </div></div>

Really?

That sounds interesting. I hadnt thought something like that would work. I would have thought that the struggling eye would suffer if the difference is too great between the two.

So you only got Lasik in the one eye?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you only got Lasik in the one eye? </div></div>
No, I got Lasik in both eyes. I was near-sighted in both, plus I needed reading glasses for things close up. If they corrected both eyes for nearsightedness, I would still need reading glasses every time I read something or looked at a computer screen. The doc told me about mono-vision which sets one eye for normal viewing (including distance) and the other eye for close-in reading. Your brain auto-magically chooses which eye to use based on what it can zero in on. Normally you choose the dominant eye for distance and the other for reading.

Part of doing mono-vision is to make it a compromise. Both eyes are adjusted just a wee bit shy of optimum. The idea is to not make them too far apart from each other because bottom line, they still have to work together. i.e. you still operate with both eyes open.

It doesn't work for everyone. To do a trial run before surgery, my doc gave me some temporary contact lens with the left set for reading and the right for distance. After a day of wearing them, you'll know if mono-vision will work for you. I felt I could get used to it. And the option of always using reading glasses was not attractive to me. If you want to do a trial run without contacts, I think you can take some weak reading glasses (say 100-power) and pop the right lens. Wear them all day and see how your brain adjusts. It takes a little getting used to, but it gives you the experience of what it would be like.

So I went ahead and did the Lasik in both eyes - right for distance (correcting the nearsightedness) and left for reading. It worked AWESOME for me. It's been 7 years since I had it done and I have no regrets.

One caveat - after 7 years, I need a minor tuneup because both eyes have regressed slightly. This is not uncommon with Lasik.

If you have more questions, let me know.

Thanks for all the info....I will look into that.

I'll read it if you hold it up...

Got rid of my Aimpoints because of this. I do better with a scope, like the Leupold
1-8X or the USO 1.5-6X. I use the JNG reticle, still very fast, get red illumination, you're GTG. Like the USO EREK option, use it in the dark, positive clicks, easy to use.

I'd would rather be like this than nearsighted, and yeah, sucks getting old.

Consider the alternative.

One more option? I went ahead and went to the optometrist and had my eyes checked? At forty our eyes start to go he said. He made me a pair of glasses I believe they are called "progressive lens"? The bottom of the glass is for close up, the middle for in between and straight out for distance.
My vision is gtg at distance so no tweak there, but I can keep them on the whole time I shoot. Our range requires "eyes and ears" so it works full time at the range.
I don't know but maybe the glasses might be covered on your medical? Maybe not?
I think it is better then the cheaters route and I can use them around the house as well.
Fwiw Just my .02 cents

I don't use corrective lenses when I shoot rifle. I find it very hard to shoot with progressive lenses (glasses that used to be called bifocals). The scope is itself an optical lens(es) and it works quite well to correct any problem with ocular vision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 997/2man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll read it if you hold it up...

Got rid of my Aimpoints because of this. I do better with a scope, like the Leupold
1-8X or the USO 1.5-6X. I use the JNG reticle, still very fast, get red illumination, you're GTG. Like the USO EREK option, use it in the dark, positive clicks, easy to use.

I'd would rather be like this than nearsighted, and yeah, sucks getting old.

Consider the alternative. </div></div>

I have a USO with EREK knobs. They are very tactile with real positive clicks. I just get lost under lower light and have to run back down and start over again.

It sucks, my far sight is razor sharp still. Up close Im outa luck. Went out to diner with my dad and he was laughing at me while I stared down my nose at the menu and held it at arms length trying to read it.

frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't use corrective lenses when I shoot rifle. I find it very hard to shoot with progressive lenses (glasses that used to be called bifocals). The scope is itself an optical lens(es) and it works quite well to correct any problem with ocular vision. </div></div>

According to the OP it is not the scope lenses he has a problem with it is the knobs. Progressive lens are trifocal not bifocal.

You could have eyeglasses made with very small bifocal made at the bottom of lens, one side or both. Then just look up a little and you can read knobs.