Do I need a muzzle-break?

Re: Do I need a muzzle-break?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pardon another possibly dumb question, but since I don't think I've ever shot a rifle that had a brake, if I go this route, are there brakes that are made to be removed by the user and other brakes that are more "permanent", or are they all user removable w/o the use of tools? How do I know the difference so I buy the right one? i.e. if I buy a Surefire brake and an SAS or TBAC suppressor. </div></div>

All muzel devices are removable by the user unless there pin'd on, some copany's advise to aply lock tight or rock set to the threads of the muzzle device (SF and AAC do i know) making it a chore to remove them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rubicon1996</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking about getting a brake also. Do they need to be timed or can they just be threaded on and what is involved with timing one </div></div>

A muzel device like Vais is omni directional an doesn't require to be "timed" most other muzel devices do (or at least it is prefered) the device will work to reduce recoil even if not timed but its most practicle to time them properly as to not send jet blast into the dirt if your shooting on the ground or in the prone.

A compatent gun smith can cut your threads with a shoulder "timing" it for you without the requirement of shimming. if your gun is already threaded and you dont want to have it back on a machine... you are stuck with having to shim it your self. (basically adding thin shims until the botom of the device is at BDC (bottom dead center) when torqued.

let me know if none of this makes sence.

This is the one I like for ease of timing (no shims or spacers). Thanks Randy.
[img:left]
001-1.jpg
[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I just found something that would be perfect for me and save me a ton of dough.

SAS Suppressor/Brake Combo

Anybody here run these and can comment on them? Seem to be very similar to Surefire, but for 1/3 the cost? </div></div>

They work well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Answer: No, Save for the suppressor</div></div>

O.K. <span style="text-decoration: underline">So, do I need a suppressor?</span> Now that I've been doing so much research into brakes and now suppressors, I was about to buy an SAS Arbiter. Though after reading all the Form-4 horror stories, I don't know if I want to part with ~$1,000 and wait 4, 5, 6+ months for something I may not need.

What is the <span style="font-style: italic">real benefit</span> of a suppressor? Saving one's hearing? I have hearing protection already. Tacticool item? They are friggin' cool, no doubt! Reduced muzzle movement/blast/recoil for more rapid follow-up shots? I can see the benefit of that, but a brake is a lot cheaper and a lot less headache.

If I'm not shooting subsonic rounds, does a suppressor do anything for me? I think I may just get a brake and a crap-ton of ammo instead.
crazy.gif

Im new to this and had a question magna porting be helpfull or would a brake be better i have a 300 win mag that is really lite and was weighing my options

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Answer: No, Save for the suppressor</div></div>

O.K. <span style="text-decoration: underline">So, do I need a suppressor?</span> Now that I've been doing so much research into brakes and now suppressors, I was about to buy an SAS Arbiter. Though after reading all the Form-4 horror stories, I don't know if I want to part with ~$1,000 and wait 4, 5, 6+ months for something I may not need.

What is the <span style="font-style: italic">real benefit</span> of a suppressor? Saving one's hearing? I have hearing protection already. Tacticool item? They are friggin' cool, no doubt! Reduced muzzle movement/blast/recoil for more rapid follow-up shots? I can see the benefit of that, but a brake is a lot cheaper and a lot less headache.

If I'm not shooting subsonic rounds, does a suppressor do anything for me? I think I may just get a brake and a crap-ton of ammo instead.
crazy.gif
</div></div>

Once you go suppressed, you'll never go back. It's that much better, especially over a brake. Forget tacticool or whatever, it's just that the recoil impulse is smoothed, it's quiet, you can call your shots, no dust, no spotters flinching, just pure awesome.

smile.gif

Pass on the Mag-Na-Porting, get one of the many screw on brakes instead. You won't be happy with it on your rifle.

We have a Ferrells and RWS for our 260 rifle and both shoot to the same POI and we can see hits or misses the same with either one.

My long range 260 XP-100 pistol has a brake (not sure of brand) and while at TVP Tom Sarver wanted to try one of his Suppressors on it and at 600 yards on clay pigeons it shot the same POI. If you do go the brake route and decide later to swap over to a Suppressor your settings will probably be identical.

Topstrap

If it was mine, I would have to barrel threaded for 5/8x24 and screw on an ar10 type brake/ flash hider till the suppressor became into my reach. 20" is a great length of barrel to suppress. You will need to have the barrel threaded any ways if you want to suppress it would just be getting prepared for that can.

I shot a comp yesterday, and there were a lot of suppressors...makes it harder to resist, seeing them all. I just am having a hard time parting with all that money and waiting...

I have a lot of other stuff I need to pick up too...LRF, spotting scope, better bipod, ammo, ammo, ammo. I think I'll get the barrel threaded and a brake first.

I just bought the SAS TOMB brake and will pick up the Ti Arbiter soon, once I confirm whether or not I get that job in OH or if I end up staying in CO.

Bought from Mile High Shooting Accessories in Frederick, CO. Great company and bunch of people!

I picked up a HSS clamp on brake for my tikka t3 308.

When using my NXS @ 22x, it allows me to see POI at >200yards.

Before, I would not be able to keep it on target.

It does add a SIGNIFICANT amount of noise to your neighbors.

And I live in California, where suppressors are not allowed =(

I bought the SAS TOMB brake from Mile High Shooting Accessories here in Colorado. Installed by Dave Sullivan at West Wind Rifles in Erie, CO. Next purchase is the SAS Arbiter suppressor from Mile High.

M40A3.jpg

I ordered my AW .308 from Mile High Shooting with the SAS thread-over muzzle brake (TOMB) and Ti Arbiter suppressor (still waiting on the paperwork). A muzzle brake on such a heavy rifle seemed silly until I was able to spot my own impacts and see the bullet trace through my scope at longer range. I'm sure that this is possible without a brake, but probably not as easy.

—Andreas