• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Do you run a SunShade and why or why not.

I just dont like the added length. I have never actually even screwed mine on. Maybe next year ill give it a go for science.

What bothers you about the length? The barrel is longer. An extra 2-3” on the scope really does nothing to the scope to make it any different.

What bothers you about the length? The barrel is longer. An extra 2-3” on the scope really does nothing to the scope to make it any different.
On shorter barreled guns (16-18”) i thought it looked funny. On my 24” suppressed barrel i agree. I honestly just have to pull it out of the box and give it a go. I was out in non-stop rain the other day and it didnt even cross my mind that a sunshade would have helped a ton.

I never use a sunshade, unless forced to, like sun coming directly into the scope, at an organized rifle range, with fixed positions...out here I just change positions, and shoot from a shaded position, never even consider a sunshade, they are always left behind.
Never purchased one that didn't come with the scope. And only one was ever used, once, when I had to go to the dreaded rifle & pistol club to shoot, with fixed positions directly facing the sun.
45-90, now I mean this in the kindest, gentlest way. Hopefully you will take it with a pinch of salt and smile…

Most every time I read a post of yours, I am reminded of the bunkmate of Nicolas Cage in Raising Arizona.

I reckon it all comes down to personal preference but I’m 100% in the sunshade camp.

For starters- they seem to be an otherwise inexpensive product that works as advertised. But for my own preferences, I see them as relatively cheap insurance to help protect the scope/objective lens while negotiating barricades and the fact it helps keep the sun/rain/snow/etc. away is just a bonus for me.

I do keep them covered with scope chap coverings too if I’m being honest to help keep them from getting too banged up.

-LD

On shorter barreled guns (16-18”) i thought it looked funny. On my 24” suppressed barrel i agree. I honestly just have to pull it out of the box and give it a go. I was out in non-stop rain the other day and it didnt even cross my mind that a sunshade would have helped a ton.

Have to forget about looks and worry about function. ;)

It will definitely help keep the objective clear of water in the rain or snow. Been there many times.

Every time I’ve tried to use one at a match there’s been a stage with a barricade that was so tight on space I had to remove it.
So for the most part I don’t run one.

There are a very very small number of props that have a tight enough hole to fit through but they are the vast minority of props and I very rarely come across a prop that will not allow a sunshade. If I do then I take it off for one stage and then put it back on. The vast majority of the time it is functioning to help far outweighs the one or two props it won't work in.