• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Does the action I'm looking for exist?

SingleshotFredd

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2023
U.S.A
I'm looking for a long action with a rem 700 footprint and controlled feed bolt that I can run a side mounted iron sight on that also accepts prefit barrels.

I know American rifle company makes one but they use the springfield ejector and as a result they cut a hole in the side of the receiver where I believe the sight mounting plate would sit.

Last edited:
Yup an Zermatt Origin or TL3 should work. And they are not like standard CRF in that you can single feed them and no issues.
Any reason I shouldn't go with the SR3? I'm looking for maximum flexibility which includes being able to change scope rails to ones with different MOAs.

The TL3 scope rail is pinned where the SR3 isn't. I'm also looking to run box mags and want to be able to change my own barrels.

Any reason I shouldn't go with the SR3? I'm looking for maximum flexibility which includes being able to change scope rails to ones with different MOAs.

The TL3 scope rail is pinned where the SR3 isn't. I'm also looking to run box mags and want to be able to change my own barrels.

You can change your own barrels with any of them. Pretty sure the SR3 has a pinned scope base and only comes in 20 MOA from the Zermatt site. The TL3 comes in up to 30 MOA on LA.

What are the differences between the TL3 and SR3:
TL3’s are cut with either AICS, AW (short action only) or single shot magazine wells. SR3’s are cut with standard Remington feed lips and have the option for the Wyatt’s extended cut.

Reactions: SingleshotFredd
You can change your own barrels with any of them. Pretty sure the SR3 has a pinned scope base and only comes in 20 MOA from the Zermatt site. The TL3 comes in up to 40 MOA.

What are the differences between the TL3 and SR3:
TL3’s are cut with either AICS, AW (short action only) or single shot magazine wells. SR3’s are cut with standard Remington feed lips and have the option for the Wyatt’s extended cut.

On the order form for the SR3 it has the no rail option. In a little comparison box on a different page it has pinned rail no under the sr3 action. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
I didn't see that on their page in the drop down boxes on the order pages but didn't scroll any farther. See it now but you might want to check if they will take a standard 700 base or you may be stock with their unpinned 20 MOA.

I didn't see that on their page in the drop down boxes on the order pages but didn't scroll any farther. See it now but you might want to check if they will take a standard 700 base or you may be stock with their unpinned 20 MOA.
Yeah I'm definitely going to check on that but to be honest I'm in the south so thick brush and short range shots are the norm here. I may not even need that much MOA.

Reactions: Rob01
Yeah I'm definitely going to check on that but to be honest I'm in the south so thick brush and short range shots are the norm here. I may not even need that much MOA.

And if you did then you could get a scope mount with MOA built in also. There are mounts with up to 60 MOA in them so add that to the 20 MOA on the rail and that is a lot of cant.

What side mounted iron sight? Do you mean like for a redfield olympic? If so no modern action will have that provision, you’ll have to tap the action or go for a different sight but the modern picatinny top mounts are more plentiful and would fit by default.

Also what's the importance of it having Remington feed lips? Will that limit my magazine choices or something?

Probably an option for someone wanting an internal feed system but if getting magazines it will limit your OAL of the rounds and I would not get it with the Rem feed ramp. Honestly you might as well get the TL3 with the 30 MOA pinned rail and you won't have an issue with OAL from mags.

How hard would it be to get the pins out?

I think you are fixating on a non problem. Why would you want them out? They are there for extra hold and if a long action magnum then I would want them there. You already said you might not need a ton of MOA in the base so there should be no reason to change the base from the 30 MOA. I have shot to a mile with my 7mmRM on a 20 MOA base.

I think you are fixating on a non problem. Why would you want them out? They are there for extra hold and if a long action magnum then I would want them there. You already said you might not need a ton of MOA in the base so there should be no reason to change the base from the 30 MOA. I have shot to a mile with my 7mmRM on a 20 MOA base.
I'm a man who tries to consider every possibility. I'll sit there and pick something apart for hours if not days thinking about this and that.

It's not going to be a long action magnum however. It's going to be a long action .30-06. Ideally I want enough MOA to cover 0 yards all the way up to 1,000

Never know where life will take you.

I'm a man who tries to consider every possibility. I'll sit there and pick something apart for hours if not days thinking about this and that.

It's not going to be a long action magnum however. It's going to be a long action .30-06. Ideally I want enough MOA to cover 0 yards all the way up to 1,000

Never know where life will take you.

A 30 MOA mount will get a 30-06 to 1000 without a problem. With the right scope you can do it on a 0 MOA base. My .223 has a 20 MOA base and I shoot it to 1150 yards. You are way overthinking it. LOL Just trying to show you it's a non issue and the pinned scope base will be more of a help than hindrance.

And as @Rob01 mentioned, if you do indeed want to circumnavigate the globe with your bullet you can buy scope bases with additional MOA tilt built in.

30 MOA pinned base plus 10-20-30-40-whatever MOA one-piece rings = 40-50-60-70 MOA.

And Eratac even makes adjustable MOA rings.

3314C1F4-3ED4-4C0D-9639-1BC13AC28E14.png

If 150 MOA rings plus a 30 MOA pinned rail isn’t enuff…call in an airstrike?

• Haha
Reactions: BCX and vh20
What side mounted iron sight? Do you mean like for a redfield olympic? If so no modern action will have that provision, you’ll have to tap the action or go for a different sight but the modern picatinny top mounts are more plentiful and would fit by default.
The Kelbly Big Bore has an integral Redfield sight base, but it is a single shot receiver.