• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Donor Brass: Federal vs. Hornady

Xander3Zero

Just a normal dude.
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2017
Rhode Island
As the subject states, I'm looking for opinions and experience regarding federal and hornady brass, and which is better suited for reloading some precision ammo. I will be neck sizing with a collet die, and shoulder bumping when necessary with a forster die.

As some background, I have a 223 being built right now and am planning to fire form either FGM 77 SMK's or hornadys 73 ELD-match ammo. I'll use that brass to do my load development which I am planning to use 75gr ELD-M, CCI #400, and varget. I reload with the FGM brass for my 308 and have good results, but am curious if it preferred over the hornady brass or not.

I am aware that I could just buy lapua/norma cases, but I would like to get an accuracy baseline of the new rifle with some factory ammo before diving into the load development.

I have had good (repeatable) results with Federal brass, as well as acceptable case life. I do not anneal and scrap it once it cracks. I have not reloaded Hornady brass so I can't comment on how they compare.

In .308 by the way, using Varget as well.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am going to get an accuracy baseline with some federal gold medal 77gr SMK, and use that fire formed brass to start load development with hornady 75gr ELD-M's.

Possibly down the road when that brass has had enough, I will migrate over to lapua brass.

You could also try the Norma Match stuff loaded with 77gr SMK. Looks to be a bit cheaper than or around the same price as FGMM but you're left with Norma brass.

You could also try the Norma Match stuff loaded with 77gr SMK. Looks to be a bit cheaper than or around the same price as FGMM but you're left with Norma brass.

This, the primers are crimped but that is easily mended and youre left with much better brass after the fact. Plus the norma is my go to factory in the 55 fmj, $6.49 for 20 when its on sale at cabelas.

For the 178 ELDX I have loaded 41.7 gr of IMR 4064 and got good groups. I have now loaded 41.7 gr of IMR 4064 in Hornady brass. Should I expect to see the same results. I keep hearing how case capacity makes a difference. I also noticed Hornady does not load the 178 ELDX but gave that responsibility to Federal and they are using nickel coated brass. Anyone know the answer to any of these questions. I will be buying a box of Federal 178 ELDX and dismantling one round to see what powder they are using and its weight. I will then shoot the federal and see how it groups and then try my own home loads. I will be using the Garmin Doppler Chronograph in the process.

For the 178 ELDX I have loaded 41.7 gr of IMR 4064 and got good groups. I have now loaded 41.7 gr of IMR 4064 in Hornady brass. Should I expect to see the same results. I keep hearing how case capacity makes a difference. I also noticed Hornady does not load the 178 ELDX but gave that responsibility to Federal and they are using nickel coated brass. Anyone know the answer to any of these questions. I will be buying a box of Federal 178 ELDX and dismantling one round to see what powder they are using and its weight. I will then shoot the federal and see how it groups and then try my own home loads. I will be using the Garmin Doppler Chronograph in the process.

You might have been able to start your own thread boss, instead of resurrecting a 7 year old one. However, as far as the expected difference in performance with the same charge weight but different brass: It depends, but I don't think too much will be observed.

From my quick internet searching, they would appear to be within about a grain of H2O capacity from each other. If that were true, you'd probably have a little more pressure and subsequent velocity from the case with less capacity. Please bear in mind that 1gr H2O capacity difference in a .308 case is less than 2%...so no real huge difference.

As far as consistency between those two? I'd call it a wash. Neither case manufacturer is going to offer you the consistency of one of the premium offerings like Lapua. For 300 and in shooting though, both are adequate. I have a very accurate .308 that I got Federal brass for many years ago, and at close-medium range I doubt I could really tell the difference. 600+ is a different story.

41.7 of IMR-4064 is *basically* the old 175gr SMK FGMM and Mk 316 Mod 0 load.