• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Don't be an optics snob....

Rushintuit

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2013
Kansas City
I put a Leapers CQB optic on a $2500 P308. Airsoft meets precision. I can always upgrade, right? DSCN0864.JPG

That's actually a pretty good idea. This way when the rifle shoots like crap you can assume it's the scope. You're in for some heartbreak when you mount a decent optic on it. The scope isn't going to cause the malfunctions though.

I don't bother with shit like this. The rifle sits unfired until I get the right glass. If you have a nice rifle and shitty glass, all you're doing is showing off at the range (and getting laughed at by those in the know) and making noise when you pull the trigger. Waste of time, waste of resources including the barrel, and you get absolutely no dope or useful data whatsoever.

You can light firecrackers in the driveway and keep your dignity at the range intact, all while saving barrel wear and resources, for less money and to the same effect.

So why did you do it?

Doesn't matter how much you spend on your ammo if you can't see your target or scope want track correctly. Just my thoughts but if you put a $60 scope on a $1200 rifle you now have a $60 rifle.

Rush, rock it out brother! When I bought my POF the only scope I had was a Leapers UTG off my son's 22. I had to wait a while to buy a good scope but didn't want to wait to shoot the rifle. I mounted the Leapers (in a mount that cost more than the scope no less) and it zero'd just fine and I used it for 200 yards and under for 3 months. No issues.

Haters abound, but I'd rather shoot a new rifle and save $$ for good glass than let it sit in a safe. Fuggem, go wild. If the scope breaks you're not out much $$.

I'm pretty sure Lowlight and a few thousand others disagree with your assessment.

My good friend who sent his back three times and still came back shooting like shit and not function would agree. The dozens of posters I've seen post up saying their POF was a POS would also agree. I'm sure they put out some good rifles but to me it's not worth the risk of getting a piece of crap.

I don't bother with shit like this. The rifle sits unfired until I get the right glass. If you have a nice rifle and shitty glass, all you're doing is showing off at the range (and getting laughed at by those in the know) and making noise when you pull the trigger. Waste of time, waste of resources including the barrel, and you get absolutely no dope or useful data whatsoever.

You can light firecrackers in the driveway and keep your dignity at the range intact, all while saving barrel wear and resources, for less money and to the same effect.

So why did you do it?
While he's obviously being funny, anytime behind the trigger is time well spent.

My good friend who sent his back three times and still came back shooting like shit and not function would agree. The dozens of posters I've seen post up saying their POF was a POS would also agree. I'm sure they put out some good rifles but to me it's not worth the risk of getting a piece of crap.

I don't know anything about manufacturing rifles, but you would think the parts would either be all bad or all good. I'll find out about my copy later in the week.

If the Leapers scope is all you have right now, then there's nothing wrong with mounting it and having fun. But why would you spend good money on match grade cartridges to test the accuracy of your rifle when the limiting factor is an airsoft scope. Shoot surplus ammo and save the extra money for a scope comparable to the grade of your rifle. That would make a lot more sense.

When you post with a title such as you did above, you have to use common sense and realize that you are just inviting people to flame you. That , you cannot blame the reponders for. You got the response you were begging for so don't get "butthurt" when people obliged you.

Enjoy your rifle, and let us know how it goes. Be more introspective with your title when you do.

Last edited:
don't get "butthurt"

I'm not blaming anyone for anything. I'm 60. This is a forum for people that are more serious about shooting than I am. That said I enjoy reading various threads but don't expect to see me posting again other to let you know if the rifle works. Not because I got dumped on. I expected it. I did it because I suspect there are others here just reading like I was but running some odd equipment combos. My post says to them this is still America.

I actually misspoke when I used the word "match". I had planned on buying match but actually ended up getting the 168 grain FMJBT branded Colt from a Russian company. So I did follow your advice and got some decent ammo that makes sense using the Leapers. I will continue reading the interesting material here and learn a thing or two. The name calling gets a little over done and anti-gun nuts do deserve it while more professional shooters shouldn't see their expertise as a license to make fun of the less talented but like I said this is America. If you don't like a particular forum nobody here is keeping anyone from leaving.

I can remember a day on this site when there was serious debate about whether or not it was cost effective to put a 'most worthy' scope on a Savage rifle. You could still find an argumenta about that these days.

I have, myself, often counseled about getting that unscoped rifle up and running with something, even something 'unworthy'. I still believe that if it gets the shooter onto the range, learning about how their rifle goes about its mission, it's a plus. Mods can come later, and the original scope need not be a waste, as some will likely suggest.

Greg

Well, at least you got a great rifle. And when the optic takes a dump on you, you will probably have a better idea of why everyone dumps of the cheap scopes. In all honesty though nothing wrong with tossing a crap scope on a gun until you can afford a better one. Hell its better than buying a mediocre scope now and not being able to afford a quality optic later on.

I still have and use the first inexpensive but serviceable optic I bought. Instead of listening to others expound on how you limited yourself, use the shit out of that thing and periodically box test it. When it fails the box test, use the opportunity to just shoot holds. Save your pennies and in time buy a better quality used optic off of the board here from a trusted member.

No doubt good glass is a really great thing to have. Many of us are old enough to remember when scopes were very failprone regardless of brand. Oh I know, so and so's 30 year old Leupold is great and better than anything new under x hundred dollars. I thank my lucky stars for two pieces of gear which are light years from 20 years ago, flashlights and rifle scopes. I remember when Bushnell was garbage - now considered fair glass. And a few companies are no longer with us.

Shoot it dude, if it works for a while fine.

I do believe in good glass, if you cant see it then its hard to hit it. That said use what you have and can aford at the time. I have a 3x9 Tasco on a Rem 280 that I paid $60 for new 20 years ago. It has never failed and holds zero just fine. Its my deer rifle and only gets shot a hand full of times a year but it just works. It will remain there until then.

I still have a 40+ year old weaver K4 on a M96 in .250 Savage. The right combination of shooter, this crappy old scope, and 108 year old rifle will outshoot the majority of the people that told you off. That said, get a new scope when you get the funds, but practicing with it the way it is will make a high end scope seem that much better down the road.