• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

DPMS chambered in .223 vs 5.56

RichAggie

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2010
Texas
I know that at one time, you shouldn't fire 5.56 in a rifle chambered for .223 due to the higher pressures involved. Is that still relevant in current rifles?

I am asking about any maker in general, but specifically wondering about DPMS, which I am looking to buy soon. I like the design of their .223 rifles, but 5.56 has better ballistics. I have a hard time believing that DPMS would build two similar uppers and only one would be designed for 5.56 pressures.

Re: DPMS chambered in .223 vs 5.56

If you searched you could have found this subject talked about nearly five hundred times now. 556 is safe in only 556 or 223 wylde not .223 remington. you can shoot 223 in 556 but not vice versa. You can shoot both in .223 wylde. DPMS makes 5.56 and .223 only shoot .223 in .223 or both in 5.56.

I have read all of that before. But I have also read that this info is from SAAMI. And the perspective you should be listening to is that of the gun makers. I was curious if anyone had experience or word from gunmakers themselves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RichAggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read all of that before. But I have also read that this info is from SAAMI. And the perspective you should be listening to is that of the gun makers. I was curious if anyone had experience or word from gunmakers themselves. </div></div>

Its not up to the gun makers. They follow the standard. But yes a 5.56 will handle both. A .223 gun can handle .223. The .223 wyld chamber can handle both. The main difference in the 5.56 is the lead in the chamber area.
Pat

I'm not really sure what you mean by "better" ballistics. Better how, muzzle velocity, accuracy, something else?. Having fired several flavors of commercially-available 5.56x45 rounds (SSA 64 and 77gr, Federal XM193, S&B M193, LC M855), my experience is that they did NOT perform NEARLY as well (accuracy-wise) as Black Hills or Federal .223 77 gr match grade loads. Using 2 different rifles, MOAs for the 5.56 loads were from 1.5X to over double those obtained with BH or Fed in the same weapon. So perhaps 5.56 ballistics may look superior on paper, but for me at least it didn't seem to translate to the target. JMO. The bottom line is that if you go with a chamber that takes either, you can shoot whatever works best for you and not be limited by the ammo.

I guess I am asking my self why don't you look at the Rock River Arms .223 with their Wylde chamber. I have there Varmint rifle and it shot far superior to my Colt Match target HBar (which I sold).
I am not knocking DPMS, because I have their .308 and I love it, just saying that you should take a good hard look at RRA.
SScott

I have a DPMS .223 and called DPMS and ask them the question. The answer was. "Do not fire 5.56 in the .223 chambered barrel."

for the same reasons listed above. Hope that helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskapopo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RichAggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read all of that before. But I have also read that this info is from SAAMI. And the perspective you should be listening to is that of the gun makers. I was curious if anyone had experience or word from gunmakers themselves. </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Its not up to the gun makers. They follow the standard. But yes a 5.56 will handle both. A .223 gun can handle .223. The .223 wyld chamber can handle both. The main difference in the 5.56 is the lead in the chamber area.</span>
Pat </div></div>

With that said and true many shooters including my self have shot both sets of ammo in both chambers.Most guns today are able to handle higher pressure than in years past. but as stated tech. The above is the correct statement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RichAggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Scott. I didn't know RRA offered those. Their website lists a 3/4 MOA at 100yd. Can you confirm? </div></div>
Yes I can confirm their accuracy claim, I was able to do 3/4" no problem as well as a bunch of smaller groups shooting Black Hills 52grn HP remanufactured ammo. What really helps besides their barrels is their 2 stage factory trigger.
SScott

Something to look out for is the companies that are willing to mark a barrel with a 223 as being 556. Many/often/sometimes (however you want to spin it) times lower quality rifles have the wrong chambers or chambers that are far out of spec.

Rob Sloyer did some great work with this on several forums a few years ago. There was also a great 223 vs 556 article in SWAT last year as well.