• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Range Report DPMS LR308 at 300 yards. Pleasant surprise

sagebrush

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2009
Nevada
not bad for a cheap rifle with factory ammo.
[img:center]
11j4x6u.jpg
[/img]

Re: DPMS LR308 at 300 yards. Pleasant surprise

Wheres the 5th one?
wink.gif

Nice group for 300.

Also have LR-308 but its the realitively short barreled AP4 shoots sub/MOA pretty easy though...DPMS claim 1/2 MOA for all their LR's.

~Mike

24" Bull? Also what kind of ammunition?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cheap is in the heart of the buyer...the 308 LR's are nice shooting rifles. I have SASS and absolutely love it. </div></div>

I have a sass upper on a CMMG lower and it's my new favorite rifle. I'm in the process of figuring out what kind of bullets and powder it likes, so far IMR 4064 and Accurate 2520 seems to work well but I haven't figured out what the "best" bullet is yet.

168 noslers 42.5 4064 2.8" are giving me 3/4-1" at 100 but I was kind of hoping for more.

If someone could PM me a good load for an 18" SASS I would appreciate it.

I'm new to precision shooting. I pulled off this grouping today @ 1:30 PM after an all-nighter studying. It measured .325" centers. I shot 150 grain .308 Winchester Super X Power Point out of a 24" bull barreled DPMS LR-308 1:10 twist at 100 yards. Thanks Winchester, Geissele, DPMS, LaRue, and IOR.

IMAGE_126.jpg

I guess that I should mention that I was also completely obsessive about the break in. I did the DPMS cleaning schedule using Kroil. I cleaned the barrel and whole upper until there was not a <span style="font-weight: bold">trace </span> of any residue. I only managed one shot per 15 minute volley for the first 25 rounds.

Absolutely, but not at first.

After the break in, I couldn't group much better than 1.5" @ 100 yards. I was shooting with my FFP Zeiss hunting scope. The subtension of the reticle, .15 mil (~1.5 cm @ 100 yards), kept me from being able to center up on the target too well. That and I was saving my pennies for a mount so I used a set of NcStar
eek.gif
rings until I got my LaRue in December. I just replaced my Zeiss with a IOR 2.5-10x42mm and this was the first trip to the range with the whole setup.

I was elated when I could not make out the different holes through my scope and ecstatic when I measured it. Now I just need to head up to Tampa so I can try it out at real long distances.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deer Assassin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good shooting
</div></div>

^What he said^

I like my LR308, it definetly shhots better than I can.