DTA & DTM 3080 Yards with HTI .375 CheyTac

Re: DTA & DTM 3080 Yards with HTI .375 CheyTac

I had just finished reading that. Amazing grouping!

The scope was a Vortex Razor HD!!, I would think they would use something w/ a higher magnification, but I"m guessing not many of them have the elevation requirements. Looks like this one also fell a lil short. ( not that it was made for 2 mile shooting)

dieselgeek,
Higher Magnification, we had to power it down to 12x because the turret was maxed out and we had to hold 10 mils more on the reticle so 12x allowed us to see that much holdover.

You don't need magnification to shoot far, you need lots and lots of elevation travel. 20x is really the max that is beneficial before mirage starts kicking your butt unless you are shooting just 100 or 200 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had just finished reading that. Amazing grouping!

The scope was a Vortex Razor HD!!, I would think they would use something w/ a higher magnification, but I"m guessing not many of them have the elevation requirements. Looks like this one also fell a lil short. ( not that it was made for 2 mile shooting) </div></div>

Something to remember with that shoot.....

That's my HTI, not anything special or custom about it. Straight off the line. It has been abused a bit and has done exceptionally well. That is a factory 40 MOA base that was opened up to accept the 35mm scope. Not a custom with extra elevation built into it, I am working on that though, haha. That was off the shelf Desert Munitions ammo, not specially handloaded for the shoot. We were there to prove what the "system" was capable of. The weapon, the ammunition and of course the shooter/spotter team. Nick was definitely on his game and I seriously lucked out on those wind calls.

That is my personal Razor HD, I have a couple of them and absolutely love that scope. For the money I believe it is the best bang for your buck. I own or have owned EVERY high end optic out there. While I still own most, I won't bad mouth any companies, last time I had them crying alligator tears when they came and found me at a demo....

As much as I like the Razor and the boys at Vortex are top notch to deal with, I think other optics have better glass. That comes at a price though. I personally think that S&B is only second to Khales as far as glass goes. I won't put an S&B on a 50 though. That's been proven to be a bad combo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911 ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had just finished reading that. Amazing grouping!

The scope was a Vortex Razor HD!!, I would think they would use something w/ a higher magnification, but I"m guessing not many of them have the elevation requirements. Looks like this one also fell a lil short. ( not that it was made for 2 mile shooting) </div></div>

Something to remember with that shoot.....

That's my HTI, not anything special or custom about it. Straight off the line. It has been abused a bit and has done exceptionally well. That is a factory 40 MOA base that was opened up to accept the 35mm scope. Not a custom with extra elevation built into it, I am working on that though, haha. That was off the shelf Desert Munitions ammo, not specially handloaded for the shoot. We were there to prove what the "system" was capable of. The weapon, the ammunition and of course the shooter/spotter team. Nick was definitely on his game and I seriously lucked out on those wind calls.

That is my personal Razor HD, I have a couple of them and absolutely love that scope. For the money I believe it is the best bang for your buck. I own or have owned EVERY high end optic out there. While I still own most, I won't bad mouth any companies, last time I had them crying alligator tears when they came and found me at a demo....

As much as I like the Razor and the boys at Vortex are top notch to deal with, I think other optics have better glass. That comes at a price though. I personally think that S&B is only second to Khales as far as glass goes. I won't put an S&B on a 50 though. That's been proven to be a bad combo.
</div></div>

Thanks for the reply, very cool shot, would love to shoot that far someday.

That is great shooting. Just as a thought though, If a DTA was chambered in a caliber like .510 Allen Magnum that remained supersonic at those distances could you have shot an even better group? I just think there would have to be an advantage to keeping your projectile supersonic. Like I said its just a thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mitch260</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is great shooting. Just as a thought though, If a DTA was chambered in a caliber like .510 Allen Magnum that remained supersonic at those distances could you have shot an even better group? I just think there would have to be an advantage to keeping your projectile supersonic. Like I said its just a thought. </div></div>

750 AMax launched at 3000 fps, which is what the Allen Mag is, still doesn't make it that far. Quick input into my comp has it dropping below at 2850ish. I just threw quick numbers in to check, so it could be a little more or a little less.

SOOOOO, I don't know. I would still personally give the edge to the .375 for accuracy over a .50

I guess, as long as the bullet stays stable; thats what counts. In theory, with that set-up, you could back up even farther with sub MOA accuracy. Very impressive, to say the least.

Very good shooting. As an aside, a 50 BMG is difficult to get to shoot really well. It is hard to get quality brass for one thing. The bullets are much better than they were 20 years ago and that is a help. Another point I would like to share is that adjustable bases are not that difficult to make and this makes it easy to get the necessary elevation. A very interesting video.