• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Duracoat kit.. Pics are up (stage 1 of 2 done)

K_4c

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Oct 13, 2008
    Nebraska
    I've been wanting to paint 1 ar, 1 bolt and 1 glock all to match. I've decided to go with duracoat kit. I want to use their air brush, but was curious how well it works. Any and I mean any first hand knowledge with these kits would be great deal of help.... ie whats needed and what to shell out (buy extra) for the best results.

Thanks,

Kinnamon

Re: Duracoat kit... I need advice

DONT BUY IT!!! I bought one, it was JUNK! Your way better off with one of the $12 detail guns that harbor freight sells! just turn down the pressure on your air supply and you'll be good. Prep the crap out of your stuff, you cant degrease enough- i use brake cleaner first, then twice, mask it then wipe off with tru-strip. Dont wait more than 2 hours if your using masking patterns. Good luck! -chad

I do this all the time and first picked up there cheap kit.
    Mixed my paint and had the damn thing break on me. I had to rush to town and picked up a $90 badger. Don't buy it the kits sucks. Get something good or borrow a airbrush from someone.

I know people are saying stay away from the dura coat kit , any one have any suggestions on a entry level air brush kit that will do the job and won,t break the bank thats better than a harbor freight one, or a recommendation?

there was another thread a couple weeks ago. I don't remember what brand was suggested but they did say they sell them at Hobby Lobby. May try and call them and see what they recommend if you can't find the answers here. Hope this helps

I'd love to see some camo color combos! I need some Ideas for my skins and ar. If anybody would like to share, it'd be much appreciated.

Kinnamon

I like their new tactical colors. They are much flatter. Also get a dark color and get a light color so you can blend to get just the right color. Here are some I have done. The one on with the stripes is odd. I could not capture what it looked like out in the field. Those stripes are actually a yellowish color. Looks really good in the field.
    IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2723.jpg

IMG_3961.jpg

I just duracoated a rifle and ended up buying an airbrush from a guy on here, but they sell it at dixie art supplies .com. Check them out, pretty good prices. I got the Paasche VL which is a double action brush and it works really well. There are other cheaper models out there, but if you ever end up doing multiple jobs, it'd be worth it to get a decent airbrush. I hooked it up to a 7 gallon pancake compressor.
    002-6.jpg

I used an automotive spray gun from lowes, about $40. Did 4 guns with it, it worked great. I also bought a cheapie Paasche from hobby lobby, for about $15. I don't know what kind of detail you are looking for, but the spray gun works great for stencils. If you have access to a compressor, get an water/oil seperater and tie it into the line. Works great and you can control your PSI.

I bought my duracoat paint today (Vltor Black & BlackHawk Coyote Tan) and a badger air brush.... Just wondering what the best cleaner is to use to prep everything and if there's any "tricks" that go along with the template kits (i went with the Signature Snow kit). God I hope this turns out good!

thanks again,

Kinnamon

here are a few pics of an urban digital camo job. the duracoat templates are nice and easy to use. you do have to clean in between coats or you get left with a sticky residue left over from the templates

102_0557.jpg

102_0559.jpg

102_0560.jpg

102_0558.jpg

If you plan to use this air brush more than one time, spend the money to get a better one. I have one sold by snap on tools thats 15 yrs old or more. I want to say I paid 60 bucks for it. I am not a professional painter but have used it many times. Kept clean and it never fails to work. I have not used it to paint my firearms yet but dura coat is on the way. If you want it to come out nice, do it right the first time.

Stacyp

stage 1 of 2 done... so far so good.

etimnt.jpg

30act4y.jpg

rvyqol.jpg

1ew5sh.jpg

I decided to give my RRA more of a tatical look... so I drilled some holes in the rail... give it more of a PRI feel.
    2w50ryp.jpg

So far I've learned not to use the duracoat templates! They don't work for shit. kept coming off; I'm now forced to paint my AI skins completely coyote tan (not a big deal... just a waste of $40).