• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Ear protection

Diggin this up. Yes and no with the neckband Sordins. It all depends on the angle of the bill as it sits backwards. Do you like to run the hat on your eyebrows? The hat design itself may be self limiting. Just gotta try it out. I've got the weirdest shaped head so I choose to wear my hats forward with my neckband Sordins. I also run a neck gaiter.

Nowadays the big floppy/field covers/ hats are really a good choice too. It won't interfere with your neckband and you get more coverage of the neck.

Which is why also I am doing some digging on custom ear pro. E.A.R. requires a custom mold to already be done unless you find them at a show or something. On their site it states that they can refer me to someone in my area which can send them the mold. But are we talking co-pay on insurance or out of pocket and they charge butt loads for the mold of the ears?

Any advice is appreciated.
I had mine done through one of their local vendors at a show and all it cost was what they list on their site $185.00. I don't see why that should be any different with any of their other vendors/reps.

Reactions: BigBC
Diggin this up. Yes and no with the neckband Sordins. It all depends on the angle of the bill as it sits backwards. Do you like to run the hat on your eyebrows? The hat design itself may be self limiting. Just gotta try it out. I've got the weirdest shaped head so I choose to wear my hats forward with my neckband Sordins. I also run a neck gaiter.

Nowadays the big floppy/field covers/ hats are really a good choice too. It won't interfere with your neckband and you get more coverage of the neck.

Which is why also I am doing some digging on custom ear pro. E.A.R. requires a custom mold to already be done unless you find them at a show or something. On their site it states that they can refer me to someone in my area which can send them the mold. But are we talking co-pay on insurance or out of pocket and they charge butt loads for the mold of the ears?

I bought the neckband set in May. Has been working out great.

Reactions: BigBC
Picked up mad sordins for 3 gun ,I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable they were from shooting sporting clays o/u to my dta srs .cant recommend highly enough .adjustment at headband and gel ear cups are essential for me .spend that money right and one time

I'm an EAR Inc provider so perhaps I can offer some input that will help you make an informed decision. Your local provider can deliver a finished hearing protection product as well as a custom mold of your ear canal that can be used to create other hearing protection products in EAR Inc's line up (or any company's that need a custom mold). EAR Inc has pretty extensive line of products for hearing protection and hearing aid (no sound blocking). A majority of the provider aren't medical professionals so they don't have the infrastructure to process medical insurance. If you need to use insurance you can either file a claim yourself or you will have to visit an local audiologist to craft the molds for you. Your audiologist will have hearing aids most likely, but may or may not have hearing protection products beyond typical off the shelf products. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Here is everything I received from EAR Inc once EARdynamics, the local provider who attended the range event I attended processed the created custom molds, minus the Wiley X case for my shooting glasses of course (it's easier to keep them tethered when not in use so I don't have to hunt for them individually). The box included the HEAR Defenders, a protective case with chain, the original custom molds in case I want to order replacements, company contact info, another provider business card, and use and care instructions. I couldn't be happier with my plugs, no more hot earmuffs with pressure points, range commands are loud and clear, yet noise is reduced.

Attachments

• 20190718_130326-Edit.jpeg
    20190718_130326-Edit.jpeg
    318.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20190718_130630-Edit.jpeg
    20190718_130630-Edit.jpeg
    317 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: BigBC and Mute
Here is everything I received from EAR Inc once EARdynamics, the local provider who attended the range event I attended processed the created custom molds, minus the Wiley X case for my shooting glasses of course (it's easier to keep them tethered when not in use so I don't have to hunt for them individually). The box included the HEAR Defenders, a protective case with chain, the original custom molds in case I want to order replacements, company contact info, another provider business card, and use and care instructions. I couldn't be happier with my plugs, no more hot earmuffs with pressure points, range commands are loud and clear, yet noise is reduced.

You feel the noise reduction is adequate?

Anyone tried BigEar?

There's apparently a rep at my home range. Reviews are harder to come by though.
They look somewhat similar to the EAR Inc products, can't say anything in regards to their quality since I have no experience with them but I know the HEAR Defenders serve me well on the range, and in the field.

I'm an EAR Inc provider so perhaps I can offer some input that will help you make an informed decision. Your local provider can deliver a finished hearing protection product as well as a custom mold of your ear canal that can be used to create other hearing protection products in EAR Inc's line up (or any company's that need a custom mold). EAR Inc has pretty extensive line of products for hearing protection and hearing aid (no sound blocking). A majority of the provider aren't medical professionals so they don't have the infrastructure to process medical insurance. If you need to use insurance you can either file a claim yourself or you will have to visit an local audiologist to craft the molds for you. Your audiologist will have hearing aids most likely, but may or may not have hearing protection products beyond typical off the shelf products. Let me know if you have additional questions.

That's awesome I really appreciate the info.

So E.A.R. has sent me a provider that they work with, 1.5 hours away from me. Like was mentioned before since it's someone that they work with it's simply cost of travel to go there and get the molds for E.A.R.

It's not an unfathomable drive by any means. But it does suck that it's 63 miles further than I thought I would have to drive haha. According to the Hide and other customer E.A.R. is one to deliver great products so it might be worth the drive...

Thanks all for the responses.

CAVEAT.PIGGYBACK.PSA: I have or have had;

MSA Sordin Supreme PRO-x Neckband with Noise Fighters Gel cups. I do love these the most out of all my headsets but I really want to get away from headsets for comfort and safety (bumping them off)

Howard Leight: Hey they work and are cheap. Totally uncomfortable for me and fall off.

Peltor Com-Tac III: Pretty good but still not as good as MSA's. Good for comms mostly IMO.

Peltor TEP-100 Electronic in-ear buds. Terrible. Feedback, slippage and battery drain. I really wanted to like them (also the cost.)

SureFire Ear Plugs EP-7s: Really good overall, but start to scrape my delicate ears after 5 hours. Blocks out EVERYTHING just about. Can't hear much.

I did have a set of racing filters for my Super Sport and Super Bike team at Willow Springs, Chuckwalla, Auto Club Speedway and Laguna Seca, but I lost them years ago while on track and can't for the life of me remember which company it was. They actually had different level of filters you could insert but the padding from my helmet dug them out one race.

Needless to say I feel somewhat well traveled in the gear whore department. I appreciate all the responses.

It has been said before, but given where many including myself eventually end up, do the math on the actual protection (research how this works if you don't know). I have spoken with several manufactures and none (zero) say they offer a product that protects against the report from an APA brake. The closest single solution was Decibullz Percussive. 165 is a big number to reduce to a safe level.

Because sound intensity is directional, I am able to get away with just the MSA's if I am shooting alone or with other shooters that are next to me, but they need to be close and muzzles pretty much on the line. As soon as we spread out another yard or get slightly staggered I have to put an in-the-ear solution under the cups.