• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hunting & Fishing Eastern Montana Mule deer

marshjo

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2010
Monroe, La
Hey,

My wife and I are finally entering a drawing for a mule deer hunt in Montana. If awarded we are going to try to stay on the eastern side of the state due to the drive from Louisiana.. Does anyone have any experience with mule deer in eastern Montana? Any tips?
Thank you,
Justin

no experience with mule deer in eastern MT, but western MT is absolutely beautiful with the mountains. I hear you on the drive but just a few hundred more miles and you are in the Rockies my man! So close, after so many miles... don't stop in the east ... :)

Reactions: Jsmith410
If you’re just looking to see lots of deer and not worried about shooting a decent buck, you’ll have a great time. That are has really gone downhill the last 5-6 years

no experience with mule deer in eastern MT, but western MT is absolutely beautiful with the mountains. I hear you on the drive but just a few hundred more miles and you are in the Rockies my man! So close, after so many miles... don't stop in the east ... :)
I hear you. I do like the mountains and would love to hunt them. I’m just trying to pick a big unit with a lot of public land to help make sure we don’t cross onto some land we aren’t supposed to be on.

If you’re just looking to see lots of deer and not worried about shooting a decent buck, you’ll have a great time. That are has really gone downhill the last 5-6 years
I would like to see a few deer with a good chance of getting a buck for my wife. I am a little concerned on the size because I want it to be a mature buck, but I hate to spend all this time and money to get up there and be disappointed. I also don’t want to spend a week just looking for a monster and not see any deer. My wife’s not new to hunting, but she isn’t a trophy hunter. She would be more than happy with a 150 or so.

If your paying for access you should have some good luck. I saw a few big bucks taken from the eastern side this fall. If your trying to do it DIY and on public land the east doesn’t have nearly the amount of public land as the west does.

There is more public on the west side but if you can’t find enough public land to hunt on the eastern side of the state, you have no business being out there in the first place. Montana likes to hunt the living shit out of their deer so finding a mature buck can be tough but it’s doable. You could find a couple 150 bucks but I wouldn’t go into it with the expectations of shooting deer like that. I guarantee you’ll have a good time though, it’s a fun place to hunt

If your paying for access you should have some good luck. I saw a few big bucks taken from the eastern side this fall. If your trying to do it DIY and on public land the east doesn’t have nearly the amount of public land as the west does.
I’ve looked at paying for access, but without knowing the area and knowing how some outfitters are, it can be a crap shoot. DIY is what we would like to do, but with this being our first time up there, access may be the way to go.

There is more public on the west side but if you can’t find enough public land to hunt on the eastern side of the state, you have no business being out there in the first place. Montana likes to hunt the living shit out of their deer so finding a mature buck can be tough but it’s doable. You could find a couple 150 bucks but I wouldn’t go into it with the expectations of shooting deer like that. I guarantee you’ll have a good time though, it’s a fun place to hunt
I’ve watched a few hunting shows and they have predominantly been in the east, of course probably outfitted on private property.. I don’t expect to shoot one that big, but I would like to have a decent chance at one. If I have the same chance at bagging a big muley in Louisiana as I do east Montana, we may explore the west side of the state.

You will be drawn to the Custer National forest because of it's location...There are deer there, but also more road hunters than I have ever seen. I went there 10 years ago and it was inundated, I can't imagine what it's like now. Montana's deer season in general is an abomination in my opinion. Montana FWP solely bases their management strategies upon hunter opportunity, which they measure in length of season. We are one of the few states in the west that allow the hunting of mule deer bucks during the rut in general season. After hunting some other states and seeing the quality of their deer herds compared to ours, we are way behind the eight ball in my opinion. More than likely you will find some bucks out and about, but counting on a quality buck is a tough prospect. It could happen, but I wouldn't consider it likely. Might as well shoot an elk too, our seasons are about 6-7 months long and FWP has done everything but resort to aerial gunning to bring number back in "objective."...ugggh.

Sorry for the small rant.

Reactions: marshjo
You will be drawn to the Custer National forest because of it's location...There are deer there, but also more road hunters than I have ever seen. I went there 10 years ago and it was inundated, I can't imagine what it's like now. Montana's deer season in general is an abomination in my opinion. Montana FWP solely bases their management strategies upon hunter opportunity, which they measure in length of season. We are one of the few states in the west that allow the hunting of mule deer bucks during the rut in general season. After hunting some other states and seeing the quality of their deer herds compared to ours, we are way behind the eight ball in my opinion. More than likely you will find some bucks out and about, but counting on a quality buck is a tough prospect. It could happen, but I wouldn't consider it likely. Might as well shoot an elk too, our seasons are about 6-7 months long and FWP has done everything but resort to aerial gunning to bring number back in "objective."...ugggh.

Sorry for the small rant.
I would disagree, I think over all Montana does a great job. I don’t live here to kill the biggest buck but you can still kill massive fear if you work for it. The road hunting issue is because of the road system in MT, where as in CO there Arn’t the roads to hunt like that as an example. I think having the opertunity is well worth it and if your upset about that just put in for 270 and wait the tens of years to pull the tag and you’ll be more then pleased...rant over.

I have lived, hunted and guided in Montana for more years than I care to share. Central and Eastern part has some great hunting opportunities. As mentioned above, get OnX maps, BMA list from Montana F&G and research. Find the areas where you walk away from the roads and crowds. More public and block management lands than you can hunt in years. Gotta walk for the larger ones.

I would disagree, I think over all Montana does a great job. I don’t live here to kill the biggest buck but you can still kill massive fear if you work for it. The road hunting issue is because of the road system in MT, where as in CO there Arn’t the roads to hunt like that as an example. I think having the opertunity is well worth it and if your upset about that just put in for 270 and wait the tens of years to pull the tag and you’ll be more then pleased...rant over.

Oh, I've put in for 270, as well as the rest of the special draw units in the state every year since I was 18. So about 24 years now. Wiff every year. I have been on a few draw hunts with buddies that have gotten tags, mountain goats are my favorite. I was mainly venting about the elk because I was lucky enough to live in MT during the "golden age" of elk hunting in SW MT in the late 90s and early 2000s. I have seen that herd dwindle to a shadow of what it was. Years of increased predation, longer seasons, and a few bad winters took a toll.

On the deer...I guess I am just at a stage where I don't really feel like I need to shoot any old 4 point mule deer buck. I do completely realize that my version of deer hunting and probably most of the general publics is completely different however. To the OP, who is from Louisiana, the experience of just hunting different country for an animal you have never gotten before is probably worth it, no matter what type of buck you get. In that case, by all means, the advice @recondive gave is spot on. Burn a little boot leather and your odds go up exponentially.

Reactions: marshjo and skierhs
Oh, I've put in for 270, as well as the rest of the special draw units in the state every year since I was 18. So about 24 years now. Wiff every year. I have been on a few draw hunts with buddies that have gotten tags, mountain goats are my favorite. I was mainly venting about the elk because I was lucky enough to live in MT during the "golden age" of elk hunting in SW MT in the late 90s and early 2000s. I have seen that herd dwindle to a shadow of what it was. Years of increased predation, longer seasons, and a few bad winters took a toll.

On the deer...I guess I am just at a stage where I don't really feel like I need to shoot any old 4 point mule deer buck. I do completely realize that my version of deer hunting and probably most of the general publics is completely different however. To the OP, who is from Louisiana, the experience of just hunting different country for an animal you have never gotten before is probably worth it, no matter what type of buck you get. In that case, by all means, the advice @recondive gave is spot on. Burn a little boot leather and your odds go up exponentially.
Yeah I definitely get that. It makes me wish we had a wolf season like Idaho and could finally manage the damn griz. Once we can put those truly back in check the better things will be. Saw a report stating there are over 900 wolves in MT alone...

Missouri Breaks...…..
Funny story about that area. A monster was spotted by two different "die-hard" hunters. They both tracked him all that summer. Had all his habits down to a "T". Then hunting season opens. These two guys hunted him high and low and they couldn't find him. Some guy from Great Falls shows up with his camper. He steps out a little ways to take a piss and low and behold this monster is in a meadow less than a hundred yards from him. He litterally pissed all over himself getting back to the truck to get his rifle. But, he got the buck!

That happened the year before I moved up to Lewistown. Everybody there thought it was a great story

Here is an average sized eastern Montana mule deer I shot this past fall.

View attachment 7038470

Here is an average sized eastern Montana mule deer I shot this past fall.
That is an interesting rack Brownguy005. I had to look twice to make sure he was a muley. He's got the black skull cap like a muley, but the three points don't make it look like there is a main beam split. The eye-guards are also closer in to the base and VERY prominent the way a white-tails would be. Very symetrical and nice looking deer!