• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors Effects of velocity with a can?

Re: Effects of velocity with a can?

I am with HTG Silencers (just so there is full disclosure).

We have test data that shows 50 fps increase in a 1911 with our Cycle-2 .45 suppressor attached.

Win 230 FMJ

Unsuppressed
865 fps
162 dB

Suppressed
915 fps
139 dB

Rifles have similar increases in velocity, depending on cartridge and barrel length, between 25 and 50 fps increases.

I have seen marginal increases with my 5.56 if you even want to call it that. I haven’t seen a increase with my 308 can, and I haven’t had a chance to shoot the 45 over the chronograph yet. All three cans are coastal guns out of Brunswick Ga.

Not sure how many people it would effect on here but a suppressor can also increase the cycle rate on a FA. I built my AR upper with a variable gas block keep it from happening.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: acmeraptor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure how many people it would effect on here but a suppressor can also increase the cycle rate on a FA. I built my AR upper with a variable gas block keep it from happening. </div></div>
On a blow-back gun like a Mac-10 in F/A especially true

My Gemtech HVT QD is reading the following:

For 5.56 MK262 18 inch barrel- 2624 non suppressed and 2656 suppressed

Noveske N6 18 inch with 175SMK- 2489 non suppressed, and 2517 suppressed

300 Blackout Noveske 8 inch barrel 220SMK- 925 non suppressed and 979 suppressed

I'm waiting on a Form-4 and two Form-1's and hope to start playing with powder-burner cans soon. But I can say that I've tested dozens of air-rifles with the can on and then off and
there is never any real difference in velocity. POI does change in many cases, however.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wakerider017</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which is strange because a lot of video games I've played in the past suggested that a suppressor decreases velocity and accuracy..</div></div>

no................its the beer and cheeto's that do that

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wakerider017</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which is strange because a lot of video games I've played in the past suggested that a suppressor decreases velocity and accuracy..</div></div>

no................its the beer and cheeto's that do that </div></div>

Lol, actually the beer is somewhat of a bell-shaped curve. After a couple my came actually improves and then it is all down hill from there
smile.gif