• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

EGW base install

josey88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2011
Well... I had no problems at all. All the bad rap about these bases is in my opinion or unfounded or it has been solved by EGW.
I ordered the 20 Moa model #41002 for my Savage short action round back 10FCP . I most say that the finish of the base itself is impecable , very well machined and the holes ALL OF THEM lined up perfectly .
No need for lapping , either ... the base seated perfectly and solidly on top of the action , front and rear .
I had a little bit of resistence when trying the screws at first because I believe that the parkerized finish on the action had slightly clogged the first thread on the holes ... I inserted the screws and slowly turned them all the way and back and the threads were clean , so I put some blue loctite on the tip of the screws , inserted the base and tighted them all to 20 lbs/inch .
This base looks great , perfectly solid and it even has the same color finish that the action/barrel on my 10FCP . It cost me only $39.95 and I am very happy with it .
I guess that from now on everybody can buy the EGW bases without worry ...
I forgot to add that the four screws that come with the base are now of the same length ... no different screw sizes ... what is different is that on the front , the first hole is less deep than the second hole and the two rear holes are deeper than the front ones and both are of the same depth . In other words, now the holes controle the depth of the screws ... I like that solution , very simple and stupid proof . Just my 2 cents...

Re: EGW base install

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sandbogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have they switched to torx screws yet? That is my biggest complaint, I have had the Allen screws strip out on every one I have used. </div></div>

What are you torquing them to?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RotARy15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you torquing them to? </div></div>
Too many inlbs.

I have had a 20 MOA one peice base on my SPS Tac for 3 years. Not a problem with it. Apart from the screw head issue. EGW replaced the screws with new ones though. You can request the screw head type from EGW too. They asked which I preffered.

I've never had any problems with EGW. I did have one with the rear a little high, but I bedded it to my receiver and it works great! No complaints. I usually order off OpticsPlanet with whatever 5% code they have at the time. Can't beat the free shipping.

i also have these bases on a couple of my guns and have never had any problems at all the are not night force but they do not cost 130$ either so for their price they are great

My local gun shop stocks all the EGW bases in std and 20 MOA. I have used about 15 of them on builds, and they all fit perfectly. I set my scopes in the center of the MOA range (windage) and they have been "dead on" when mounted on these bases. I have NOT had that kind of luck with Burris lately...holes have not been in the center of their bases.

EGW builds a good product at a good price! My dealer also discounts them about 25% from list (JOE BOB Outfitters), and sells a ton of them thru his on-line business, so there must be a lot of guys using these bases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sandbogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have they switched to torx screws yet? That is my biggest complaint, I have had the Allen screws strip out on every one I have used. </div></div>

I had 1 set of Allen screws get stripped also.

Everyone of my rifles I had to bed the bases to the action. The bases also sit a little too high for me. I have 2 sets of Badgers and they are perfect for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: josey88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I forgot to add that the four screws that come with the base are now of the same length ... no different screw sizes ... what is different is that on the front , the first hole is less deep than the second hole and the two rear holes are deeper than the front ones and both are of the same depth . In other words, now the holes controle the depth of the screws ... I like that solution , very simple and stupid proof . Just my 2 cents... </div></div>

something about that dont sound right. the front holes are not as deep because they are over the threaded part of your barrel. there was always 2 long and 2 short for the base i thought? hopefully they are all of the short screws and you are getting the front ones seated and they arent stopping when they hit the barrel tenon? i believe its called, but maybe not on a savage. and with a >0 moa base the rear is higher and needs the longer screws to get enough threads in there

and i had the same issues with the screw heads and it was compounded by the coating that savage uses on the barrel and action. you would think they could stick a few screws in there before coating it. i had to use a tap to clean my threads after stripping the heads out trying to do what you did, clean the holes with a screw. i bought some towx from Ken Ferrel and eventually sold my EGW and upgraded to a ferrel 20moa with recoil lug

If you are stripping screw heads, then you are likely doing something wrong. I found that once I changed to a hollow ground driver bit that actually fit the screw, it became a lot easier to snug up slotted screws (without damage). Just remember, base screws don't need all that much torque.

For me the socket heads are oversized . I had tryed standard and metric Allen wrenchs, it was either to tight or to loose. I order another set from EGW.
I'm going to be selling a few sets pretty soon, left and right sa remington 700.

The EGW base I put on my Rem 700 did not fit well. I could see light under the rear of it when it was properly torqued. I just bedded it and now it is good. It is the only base I have ever purchased or installed so I don't know how they compare to others. No problems with the screws.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
josey88 said:
I forgot to add that the four screws that come with the base are now of the same length ... no different screw sizes ... what is different is that on the front , the first hole is less deep than the second hole and the two rear holes are deeper than the front ones and both are of the same depth . In other words, now the holes controle the depth of the screws ... I like that solution , very simple and stupid proof . Just my 2 cents... </div></div>

something about that dont sound right. the front holes are not as deep because they are over the threaded part of your barrel. there was always 2 long and 2 short for the base i thought? hopefully they are all of the short screws and you are getting the front ones seated and they arent stopping when they hit the barrel tenon? i believe its called, but maybe not on a savage. and with a >0 moa base the rear is higher and needs the longer screws to get enough threads in there

That is exactly what I was trying to explain ... It seems that EGW now has changed that . No more short and long screws ... Now , the screws are all the same length , but the base itself controls the depth of the screws by varying the depth of the countersunk holes ... on the front part the first countersunk hole is very shallow and the second is a little more deep , so it means that the second screw will penetrate more than the second screw . On the rear part of the base, the two countersunk holes are deeper than the front ones , so it means that they both penetrate deeper (because it is a 20MOA and thicker) but they are also of the same depth so they both seat at the same depth .

To those who are saying their bases have a gap under the rear of them, that is actually pretty common. It is usually a flaw in the receiver rather than the base itself. Bed it and you'll have no problems.

Also be on the look out as the same gap may sometimes be present under the front of the base if you tighten the rear first.

I run the EGW HD base and 30mm rings on my 5R. A few weeks ago I decided I wanted to switch the side that the bolts were on. I removed the scope, rotated the rings, reinstalled the scope and went to the range. Looked down the bore, made some adjustments to get me on paper at 100yds. Shot low right. Drove over to the hole I shot with the turrets, fired, two inches high. Right where I wanted to be. I forgot all about zeroing my turrets back out at the time so when I got home I got the rifle out, and to my suprise, the turrets were both dead on their previous zero. I know I've read some bad stuff about EGW, but I think they make quality stuff, and will be using them again.