ELR “Commercially-Available, Loaded Ammo” Section

ELR researcher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2011
www.elr-resources.com
I have just expanded the ELR-Resources.com Ammunition Components page to include a section for “Ammo (commercially-available, loaded ammo)” – a supplier listing (31) and a “comparative matrix” by cartridge. The data were compiled from supplier web sites.

Cartridges included (in tabbed worksheets with tabs along the bottom) are (number of loads listed):

338-378 Weatherby (9)
338 Edge (2)
338 Excalbur (2)
338 Lapua Magnum (41)
338 Norma Magnum (2)
8.59 (.338) Titan (3)
375 CheyTac (5)
375 Remington Ultra Magnum (RUM)(9)
378 Weatherby (5)
408 CheyTac (9)
416 Barrett (7)
460 Steyr (1)
50 BMG (34)

[Suggested additions are welcome.]

Data for each listing (as available and applicable):

Brand
Product Code
Projectile (wt, type, matl)
Muzzle Velocity (MV)
Muzzle Energy (ME)
MV Barrel Length
Recommend Twist (very few had this info)
Web Link (URL)
Comments

Enjoy!

Re: ELR “Commercially-Available, Loaded Ammo” Section

TnRedneck:

Thanks for your suggestion.

The loaded ammo matrix is for a subset of the cartridges listed on the "Cartridge" page, with the 338 LM being the baseline and going up (muzzle energy wise) from there, almost 5000 foot pounds and up. Several folks have suggested going into the 30 cal range for some of the more exotics (e.g.. 300 Hulk) but so far I have resisted since that would increase my work load dramatically. So, for now, the answer is no.

[Yes, I know that the 300 Win Mag has been popular with some 1000 yard BR shooters, including my friend, record holder, Charles Greer, but, as I've tried to explain in prior posts, in the "old days" (can't speak for today) the 22 RF ammo boxes had an end flap "warning" that the little pipsqueak round could go a mile. Using "can shoot to a mile" criteria I'd pick up probably every centerfire cartridge ever made. I simply set the bar where I did - and limited my work to something I can handle.]

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Re: ELR “Commercially-Available, Loaded Ammo” Section

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TnRedneck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you consider adding .300 Win. Mag. to your list? </div></div>

if he adds the 300 mag , he must also add the 6.5mm and 7mm cartridges since they share a similar flight path of the 300 mag.

the 6.5mm 140 vld moving around 2900-3000 fps will actually remain supersonic longer then the 50 bmg would.