ELR Caliber Selection: 338 LM, 338 RUM, 375 RUM, 338 Fed, 338 Win?

mountainman308

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2012
WV, USA
I am about to embark on a new build. I want to push past my 308's effective range and get out to a mile or more on steel and paper. As such, do you all have any opinion as to what caliber I should pick? I am currently considering a host of 338 cal cartridges, as well as the 375 RUM. Would one have a great advantage over the other? I hand load, so ammo availability is not an issue.
Action: Remington 700 (currently chambered in 338 LM)
Barrel: Krieger Med. Palma (has yet to be ordered)
Chassis: AICS 2.0 in 338 LM (has yet to be ordered)
Any insight or advice is appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi MM308:

To remove some confusion, only the 338 LM - in your list of cartridges in the thread title - fits your noted Rem 700 action (boltface). The other cartridges are .532, standard Magnum.

You will have a lot of time to consider as Krieger is currently quoting 11 months lead time - IF you want to place an order with them. [That noted, check for Kreiger "in stock" at Bruno Shooters Supply: 338 Cal and Bartlein "in stock" at BARTLEIN - the preferred twist is approx 9.35.]

The majors for your boltface are 338 NM, 338 LM, 8.59 Titan (Lazzeroni), and 338-378 Weatherby. From their you are going proprietary with various "standardized" 338 LM "Improved" cartridges, e.g., 338 Allen Xpress (Allen Xpress Wildcats) and 338 Terminator (.338 TERMINATOR + P Unveiled!) and a number of non-standard 338 LM Improved offerings where you and your gunsmith need some time together as there are more than one reamer (and die set) by that name - safest approach there (IMHO) is to have custom dies built to your selected reamer. The Terminator appears to have the best ELR capability but all the noted cartridges (for your boltface) will manage one mile.

Enjoy the research.

Last edited:
ELR researcher, part of me was hoping you would share your knowledge. The 338 Terminator +P looks like a mean round, and all the forums I read gave it positive reviews. I'm compiling a list of calibers to take to my smith on Monday. I may as well just bring scotch and pizza, as it will be a long talk.

MM308:

Just added another "major", the 8.59 Titan (Lazzeroni). Not a competitor to the Terminator but wanted to be accurate.

FYI, as last I read (that thread), Shawn has decided to build all Terminators in +P and only use the designation ".338 Terminator".

Just a FYI. 300 Norma or 300 RUM with 230's at 3000+ fps are awesome for ELR. The recoil is less as well.

Edit, run the numbers. .743BC x 3120 fps is what a friend runs.

300 Norma can get you to 2000m and can be built on a 700 long action. Another thing to consider is that being 30 caliber will still get you in to most of the matches.

sorry about the dupe